Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Non-English Discussions > Deutsches Forum > Erste Hilfe

Notices

Old 07-16-2017, 01:50 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Help with German poetry please

I'm now working on In the Mountains by Elizabeth von Arnim for the MobileRead library. The book was published in 1920, and doesn't have much German.

There is a couplet for which I can more or less translate each line, but can't make them make sense together. The couplet is:

Reines Glück geniesst doch nie
Wer zahlen soll und weiss nicht wie.

Can anyone help, please? If it is from a well known poem could you also provide the author's name?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:05 AM   #2
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
The person who is supposed to pay and doesn't know how
Never enjoys pure happiness
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:36 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Alex, you really should try doing a Google search. It took me about 5 seconds to identify the poem and its author:

http://www.bier-lexikon.lauftext.de/wilhelm-busch.htm
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:49 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Alex, you really should try doing a Google search. It took me about 5 seconds to identify the poem and its author:

http://www.bier-lexikon.lauftext.de/wilhelm-busch.htm
Thanks, Harry. I was actually looking for the English translation, which so far as I can tell is not given on the site you found.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:50 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
Thanks for the translation.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:20 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks, Harry. I was actually looking for the English translation, which so far as I can tell is not given on the site you found.
It isn't - very true. I was referring to the "can anyone tell me the name of the poem and the author" part of your post.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:37 PM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
Thanks again, LucyOne.

I've looked around some more after seeing your translation, and wonder whether

Pure happiness can never be enjoyed by those who should pay and do not know how.

might work - it puts the meaning in the same order as the published lines. Would this be a reasonable translation? I really am only guessing.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:38 AM   #8
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:

Pure happiness can never be enjoyed by those who should pay and do not know how.

might work - it puts the meaning in the same order as the published lines. Would this be a reasonable translation? I really am only guessing.
Looks good to me.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:11 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
Looks good to me.
Thanks, Gudy. Unless I get any better suggestions that's what I'll use.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:46 AM   #10
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Thanks again, LucyOne.

Sure, this works. My translation was done "on the fly", no time for inversion
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:21 AM   #11
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I've come up with something that almost rhymes:

Pure bliss, alas, cannot enjoy
Someone who must, but cannot, pay.

Last edited by doubleshuffle; 07-19-2017 at 09:35 AM.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:15 PM   #12
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post

Thanks
Old 07-20-2017, 03:49 AM   #13
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post

Good job! I I tried to come up with something similar but only drew a blank this time.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote