Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 02:44 AM   #166
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Auro H2O, PRS-T1
Happy birthday!

I stumbled onto calibre as a way to organize my reading frenzy. So naturally, I frequent the calibre section, specifically the plugin area. I've also used the 'Which (ereader) should I buy?' section to finally decide on a new ereader.

Both sections have great people on it who are willing to answer any question. The calibre plugin section has lots of great plugins that make calibre work even better for my needs. The people on the other section give great advice to anyone who is unsure of what ereader to get.

It's hard to think of anything that changing could help. However, I noticed some of the specific ereader forums don't have subforums. For example, there's an apple forum, but there is none for those people who are looking for iPad 2 help. The sony section has a feature that allows the reader to see which version of the sony ereader the person is talking about, but it still does not have a sub forum. When I go looking for information on my Sony PRS T1, I have to slog through questions about other ereaders before I can find anything that relates to the one I own. Sub forums for specific ereaders (when there is more than one in a forum section) might be useful.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:04 AM   #167
Radar
Radar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Radar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Radar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Radar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Radar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Radar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Radar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Radar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Radar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Radar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Radar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Microsoft Surface 3
Wow, time flies!

My favorite MobileRead forum section would probably be Reading Recommendations. I have read many many books over the years, and like suggestions from other readers on what I should read next.

This section could be improved with tagging or subforums for genres, to make it easier to find specific recommendations. If I'm only interested in business books or fantasy etc it can be difficult to find recommendations. This can also help with duplicate threads.

Congrats on 10 years!
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #168
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I just wanted to pop in and say thank you, Alexander, for starting and maintaining this wonderful site. Starting and maintaining sounds like what you do with a car ... turn the key, add some oil now and then...but obviously this is far more than that. So thanks for your passion and energy. And thanks to all the moderators past and present. And to all the contributors, too (2,500,000,000,000 by Christmas?). I've certainly enjoyed and appreciated everyone's help over the years. No, this is not a giveaway entry. Congrats in advance to the winners!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #169
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
Congratulations on 10 years. Have come to this site every day since finding it.

As for my favorite forum it would have to be Recommendations. I like hearing what others are reading and why and that is where I get most of my ideas for my next book to read.

If I had one suggestion I would say have sub forums broken into genres. But that is being nit picky and me wanting to make it easier to sift through the stuff I have no interest in. Or maybe genre forums in general. Mystery forum, sic if forum, etc.

Congrats again and thanks for starting this.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #170
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I had to think about this. There's "where I hang out most" and "what I appreciate most as a resource" and "where I point other people to most often" *koff* whichonedoIbuy *koff*...

My favorite section is probably News. I'm delighted that I can google search for cutting-edge details about ereaders or copyright law or ebook stores... and find a thread I've already been following. Not sure how it could be improved. Maybe more labels? Law/ devices/ ebooks/ resources/ software?

I've only been a member for the last 4 years, but I remember running across Mobileread much earlier than that. I've been peripherally dealing with ebooks since about 1994 when I got one of the Gutenberg collections on CD, and Mobilearead was always high in the search results when I looked for more information. I used the wiki more than I noticed the forums. (I'd love some of us to spend more time tweaking the wiki. Everything's changed so fast in the last few years.)

Happy anniversary, MR! Here's hoping for ten more years coming up!
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #171
scottken
Addict
scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook color
Happy 10th Birthday! This site is a great resource.

My favorite section is the Deals and Freebies forum, where I've picked up numerous books for little money and thereby encountered some great new writers, like Roger Smith of South Africa, that I probably wouldn't have otherwise read.

NO suggestions on improving; I find it functions remarkably well as it is.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #172
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
My favourite section is undoubtedly the Apple Devices forum (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=170). It has lots of good information and some of the developers of ebook reader software are actively participating there which is fairly useful.

It could be even better if there were less generic topics, though, which do not really concern (mobile) reading at all (e. g. jailbreaking, mobile games, etc.). Of course, such topics have their merits as well, it's just that there are more appropriate forums for such things.

A minor improvement could be to stickify https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154061 which is about a Wikipedia article which contains a lot of information about the different ebook reading software for Apple devices. (I've tried to get feedback about stickifying it in the feedback forum but, unfortunately, got no, uh, feedback. )

All in all, MobileRead is highly useful and one of the few sites that are always open in one of my browser tabs. :-)
Old 11-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #173
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
For me the Library of the MR Website is my favourite section as it is the Gateway to the many hundreds of wonderful books contained within ... A quick glance here gives me not only an inexhaustible list of so many works of love penned by our greatest authors of all time, but also the dedicated efforts of the many MR members who properly proof read and format some of the most beautiful literary works ever written ... The dedicated bunch of members involved deserve a Medal ...

As for Improving it well even after 10 years, and many changes and improvements truth is a see little room for further improvement ... Except perhaps a more sophisticated search system that only searches BOOKS and allows advanced search fields,

And should I win by some Miracle ... I would like a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight and for it to be sent to the Rainbow Childrens Hospice -

Rainbows Hospice,
Lark Rise,
Loughborough,
LE11 2HS
UK

Phone: 01509 638000
Email: administration@rainbows.co.uk

Perhaps it could be loaded with a large bundle of the many excelent books for children from the MR Library

And send it from the whole MR Membership for the use of any of the Rainbows Service Users !

Oops just realised should be a forum section not a website section - In that case the eBook Upload Section which points to the Library anyway !

Last edited by Kevin2960; 11-02-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #174
Kurt
Connoisseur
Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nook HD+, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! (more or less)

Found the site after my first reader purchase was causing me headaches -
if only i had found it first

My first stop whenever i click on your link in my favorites is the news - quite enjoy the "lively" debates and hope the heavier moderation does NOT occur

Most visited though is the "what are we reading" topic, although lately there seems to be the same few posters

Really not sure what could be improved so just hoping for many more years of the same
Old 11-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #175
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
"random" drawing chooses me. ;-)

Happy Birthday MR! 10 years - to be continued...

My starting point forum section is iRex. Link has been in my bookmarks since 2006! It's pretty quiet there, that's ok, iRex Technologies is bankrupt. Nowaday eBook Readers are mainstream. Everything evolves. My first eink reader iLiad has got a honored place. This forum reminds me of a my first steps at MR.

Last edited by yokos; 11-02-2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #176
miquele
Connoisseur
miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kindle Voyage
Congrats on starting up this incredible forum 10 years ago!

There are so many good sections and smart people - many discussions are light-years ahead of other media, techblogs or websites.

My favourite section is the calibre forum - again an incredible service this team is providing to help us all organising our e-shelfs.

My hope is that the quality of the discussions will not deteriorate in the future, even as e-readers (and presumably this forum) become more and more popular.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #177
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Happy 10th birthday!

I enjoy most all the forums, but the one I spend the most time in is Reading Recommendations, so I'm going with that one as my favorite.

Can't think of any ways to improve it as it's pretty darn perfect, IMHO
Old 11-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #178
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Hi!

My favorite forum is "Reading Recommendations." I think it would be awesome if there were some division by genre so I could pinpoint the recommendations that are best suited for me. I've found some good books through there as it is though.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #179
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Wow 10 years! Congrats! MobileRead has become my second home since joining in 2010. I have never anywhere else had so many posts in such a short time. This place is truly awesome. The MobileRead moderator team is one of best I have seen. They truly do a fantastic job.

It's hard to say what part of the forum is my favorite. I visit the Kindle Forums and Deals and Freebies forum most. They are the two places you can find me hanging out. As for improving those areas. I'm pretty happy how things are over there so I can't think of a thing at the moment.

I'm truly addicted to MR. When you added Tapatalk I bought it and put it on all my Android devices so now I always have MR a click away.

It's so great to come to a community of like minded people who enjoy eReading as much as I do. I truly love it here!

Last edited by Blossom; 11-02-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #180
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Happy Birthday Mobileread!

My favorite forum is the Writer's Corner. There's a ton to figure out when you want to get published or self-publish, and it's invaluable to have a group that has done it already.

By way of improvement, I'd love to see some more engagement for the section. For example, MR could sponsor a quarterly short story competition. Not only would you tap this great concentration of talent, but you might even tease more readers into the writer's pool -- the more the merrier. To channel a favorite movie, Ratatouille, a bit, everyone can write, and a competition with a low barrier to entry (short story, friendly community judging) might bring new writers into the Corner.

No need for prizes or anything, by sponsorship I just mean assemble some judges, choose a theme each quarter, set up the x best stories for voting and feature the winner's story. It would be a nice community-building program.

Last edited by Marseille; 11-02-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Closed Thread