Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Anyone tried LBooks newest firmware?

I just happened to look at LBook's website tonight with the Google Translator thing, and it looks like they have a new firmware, as of August 30th. Has anyone tried it?

http://www.lbook.ua/ru/downloads/

(I think that's the link...)
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:58 AM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
I just happened to look at LBook's website tonight with the Google Translator thing, and it looks like they have a new firmware, as of August 30th. Has anyone tried it?

http://www.lbook.ua/ru/downloads/

(I think that's the link...)
I had not seen that, so THANK YOU!
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
You're welcome! I guess it's supposed to be a bit faster after opening a book that's in the cache, or something like that. I loaded it on my Pocket Pro last night, and although I haven't used it much since then, it does seem to be a bit faster. That will be great, because slow speed was the one problem I had with the previous release. Hopefully it works well!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
You're welcome! I guess it's supposed to be a bit faster after opening a book that's in the cache, or something like that. I loaded it on my Pocket Pro last night, and although I haven't used it much since then, it does seem to be a bit faster. That will be great, because slow speed was the one problem I had with the previous release. Hopefully it works well!
I have an older version and just discovered that a long press of the "Page forward (or backwards) does not jump 10 pages when reading EPUB , only a single page
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I have an older version and just discovered that a long press of the "Page forward (or backwards) does not jump 10 pages when reading EPUB , only a single page
In that case, you should be happy to hear that in this version the 10 page jump in EPUB works, both in ADE and CoolReader.
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
aegeus
Enthusiast
aegeus began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader 5
Thanks for the update; downloading right away!
aegeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
cloggy
Connoisseur
cloggy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-T1
I think that this is the same version as Buggins published a few days ago on the e-Book forum (http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...asc&start=5000).
I used this new kernel version for a few days but I went back to my previous Buggins version v3update-20100720.zip. After reading a book with the new Kernel, it started to behave the same as the recent OpenInkpot versions..it took ages to close a book while the green led kept on flashing and flashing (memory leak?). I've never seen this behavior with version v3update-20100720.zip, hence I went back to it.

With regards to speed, I hardly noticed any improvements with the new kernel version, so for the time being I'll stay with the "old" kernel versions.
cloggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloggy View Post
I think that this is the same version as Buggins published a few days ago on the e-Book forum .
The download link on the Lbook web site was a link to the Buggins release that you referred to.
I have installed it but I have not used it very much yet, so I have not seen the slowdown that you referred to. I thought that one of the main changes was extra code to clean the cache of cache files that contained errors? If that is actually true, I have only noticed cache errors on my PocketPRO when reading from an SD card, but never in internal memory. Because of that I only use an SD card for books on my 6" which never generates SD card file errors, and only use internal memory on my PocketPRO.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #9
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
I have a question, and I haven't found an answer to it on the forum. Is it possible to have two firmwares on one device, and go back to the original one if the new one doesn't work? I'd like to try the Lbook firmware on my 6" to see if it deals better with some font issues I've had, but am worried I might mess something up.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
You can't install two firmwares at the same time and select which one to use, however if you install the LBook firmware and do not like it, you can reflash with the original firmware you had on your device (provided you have a .bin file of it).

The beauty of the Hanlin readers and firmware is, the firmware isn't incremental, it updates the entire system, so you are free to move from Astak to Jinke to LBook to BeBook and back again without issue.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I saved the .bin file on my computer; if I remember correctly, it was the latest stable firmware that introduced the clock. I backed up the files I had on my SD card, and will try it out tomorrow, it's way too late here. By the way, has anyone ever made a side by side comparison of the differences, maybe took some screencaps?
Old 09-21-2010, 12:18 AM   #12
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
FYI.

My simple method is to just name each v5setup.bin file with its date:

Astak Dec 09-v5setup.bin
LBook Jun 10-v5setup.bin
Astak Apr 10-v5setup.bin

If I need to change back, I just wipe out the extra date stuff and drop it onto the SD. I see I should get that 100706 one on there, too, now that its "real".

Edit: Actually, I keep a copy of the files in a "Firmware" folder on the SD card, as well as on the computer, so I only need to copy the needed FW to SD "root" and take the extraneous date info off.

Last edited by eGeezer; 09-21-2010 at 12:28 AM. Reason: add edit note
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
citac
Fanatic

I've got mine in a folder called Astak original firmware. The lbook I saved in the folder with the name of the zip file: V3update-20100829-newkernel.

I love the lbook firmware, by the way! I don't know if it's my imagination, or if the background seems brighter in addition to the font looking darker (probably just an impression). I love the file management tools. It was a little distracting seeing the status bar at the top, but I think I'll get used to it.

The only thing that bothers me is that it seems to add headings where they don't belong in .txt files, which is the format I save my downloaded fic. I sometimes get two sentences, the rest of the page is blank, and then a bolded heading starting on the next page. It's quite distracting. What formatting would this firmware treat as a heading in a .txt file?
Old 09-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #14
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
It's quite distracting. What formatting would this firmware treat as a heading in a .txt file?
Since TXT files are just text files they do not have any formatting codes embedded. I am *guessing* that multiple End Of Line characters *might* trigger a new heading?
I tried looking in the cr3-txt.ini and txt.css files on my PocketPRO's /crengine folder, and I can see what CoolReader 3 will do when it decides that a new heading is needed, but those files do not define the trigger as far as I could tell. I suppose that you could just define a heading action to be the same as any other paragraph in the CSS, and then you would get no headings at all?
Old 09-21-2010, 07:19 PM   #15
citac
Fanatic

Hmm, I don't want to do that. I don't really want to have to edit each and every fic before transferring it to my e-reader either. Looking at the fic, CoolReader seems to take anything between *text text* to be a heading, as well as any one line that's before * * * The line immediately after the three asterisks is bolded and centered.

OK, scrap that; I just found two instances where there's no text between asterisks, nor is there three asterisks used as a break. I'm stumped.