Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #1
rainio
Connoisseur
rainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: none
Any chance to resurrect this aura h20?

Hello,
One day this aura h20 wouldn't respond. There are abnormal lines at the top of the screen.
Hard reset doesn't do anything. USB connection to a computer does not register.
I'm afraid it's dead!

Anything else that could be tried?
If not, does anyone have a good store to buy these in the UK (other than WH Smith)?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n8AwfNP.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	501.3 KB
ID:	153247  

Last edited by issybird; 11-26-2016 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Oversized image thumbnailed.
rainio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:03 PM   #2
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Hello,
One day this aura h20 wouldn't respond. There are abnormal lines at the top of the screen.
I'm afraid it's dead!

If not, does anyone have a good store to buy these in the UK (other than WH Smith)?

Thanks

it looks like a broken glass substrate if so it is sadly beyond resurrection, Argos is a good alternative to WH Smith.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 11-26-2016 at 04:07 PM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2016, 05:13 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainio View Post
Hello,
I'm afraid it's dead!

Looking at the top of your image and the curved lines, it looks like the subtrate is broken. In which case, time to look for a new ereader.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Message deleted.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-27-2016 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:05 PM   #5
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
I would recommend the new Kobo Aura One! Much, much sturdier than the old Auras and bigger, and more fun too. My screen on my H2o got completely whacked for no reason, just out of a momentary lapse when I put it into my pocket for a bit, still havnt managed to drum up the courage to deal with Kobo CS as yet (its been months...!)

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tmp_18455-IMG_20161127_1103359-1024x1820-1896934759.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	153246  
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2016, 11:05 PM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
I would recommend the new Kobo Aura One! Much, much sturdier than the old Auras and bigger, and more fun too. My screen on my H2o got completely whacked for no reason, just out of a momentary lapse when I put it into my pocket for a bit, still havnt managed to drum up the courage to deal with Kobo CS as yet (its been months...!)

Good luck
Your straight lines look like a controller issue rather than a broken substrate, so you have a chance of getting something done about it by Kobo.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 01:45 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Your straight lines look like a controller issue rather than a broken substrate, so you have a chance of getting something done about it by Kobo.
When I was looking at the posted image, the circled section looked much like a broken substrate to my eyes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	damage.png
Views:	152
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	153248  
Old 11-27-2016, 03:43 AM   #8
rainio
Connoisseur
rainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: none
Thank you for your replies.
The kobo had fallen off a 1st storey balcony around a year ago onto concrete (though no falls since), so I'm surprised it's last so long!

Is the kobo one worth the extra £50 compared to the h20? £189 for an ereader is in tablet territory. One review mentioned uneven backlight, if that's an issue.
rainio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #9
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
When I was looking at the posted image, the circled section looked much like a broken substrate to my eyes.
Absolutely! rainio's (the one your pic is from) is a broken substrate IMHO. I was referring to the picture cerem0ny posted just above my reply.

Last edited by robko; 11-27-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:33 AM   #10
robko
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainio View Post
Is the kobo one worth the extra £50 compared to the h20? £189 for an ereader is in tablet territory. One review mentioned uneven backlight, if that's an issue.
Depends what your preferences are. Personally after the extra screen size of the Aura One, I find the H2O is just soooo small when I go back to it . If you don't mind or prefer a smaller reader the H2O is an excellent choice. It's primarily the "natural light" (i.e. redder lighting for night reading) that has any uneveness on the Aura One. The normal light is pretty much equal to the H2O. I find the Aura One is slightly less responsive in menus and due to smaller battery/bigger screen to refresh it does require charging slightly more often.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:38 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Absolutely! rainio's (the one your pic is from) is a broken substrate IMHO. I was referring to the picture cerem0ny posted just above my reply.
Yes. cerem0ny's pic looks more like hardware/software issue rather than a broken substrate. Sorry for the misunderstanding.