Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #1
BCGlenn
BCGlenn began at the beginning.

Device: kobo N289
Angry Kobo N289 non-functioning (database) even with Calibre

I picked up a used Kobo N289 in excellent condition and although it seems to be working and is fully charged and ready to go, I have tried unsuccessfully to load books on it. I tried the Kobo software and nothing seems to happen. I tried using Calibre (my personal choice of e-reader mgmt software) and it gives me an error communicating with device message;

"unable to open database file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 86, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 490, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 290, in books
OperationalError: unable to open database file"

Any ideas? or should I give-up?

BCGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Have you done a factory reset?

Bear in mind, however, that the rather venerable Wifi is having a lot of trouble with the most recent auto firmware update. So you'll need to retain an older version of the firmware. Alternatively Kobo customer care has at times been offering people Touch replacement for those affected by the firmware glitch.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2014, 11:24 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The error message says the database on the device is corrupt. It needs to be rebuilt or replaced. As meera said, a factory reset is the way to go. But, there is an issue with the firmware update that will happen after that.

The alternative is to get an empty database from elsewhere. I'm pretty sure there are instructions for how to do that in an old thread here. A search should find it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:17 AM   #4
BCGlenn
BCGlenn began at the beginning.

Device: kobo N289
thanks. yes I tried factory reset twice to no avail. After that, I'm over my head in programming. I'm not really sure how to rebuild a database.
BCGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:07 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If it doesn't work after a factory reset, then it suggests a hardware problem. The internal memory might be failing. If this is the case, these devices have an internal micro SD card that can be replaced.

The database on the device can easily be replaced. From memory, there is a thread here with instructions and a link to an empty database. Unfortunately, I can't find it at the moment.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert