Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #16
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I'm with Blossom - I do know how to fix a bad book, but unless something is wrong with the display, i won't bother to look at the code.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #17
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
The most I do is convert Word RTF documents into epub with Calibre, or convert pdf's or epubs that don't have spacing between paragraphs to add the space. I don't even know where to look for the code, and even if I did, I wouldn't bother.
cfrizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #18
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
No, I don't know how to create an ebook.
No, I don't compulsively check the code.
No, I don't try to fix it.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #19
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
No idea how to create an ebook (but I need to look into it because I'd like to compile my most-used recipes!)
So obviously no, I don't check the code and don't fix things (well I can do really basic stuff in Calibre but that's it)
If a book's not right, I'll let Amazon or the author know and wait for an update (or get a refund if it's really too bad and I'm within the returns window)
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #20
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I have the requisite skills to modify ePubs, but I don't since it takes too much time for a minimal return. Aspiring to perfection is one thing. Achieving perfection is impossible.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #21
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Unless an ebook is totally unreadable, I don't bother looking at it. I've learned how to use Sigil and I can use Calibre also. However, when I sit down to read a book, I'm trying to relax and enjoy my journey. The last thing on my mind is trying to fix the code of each book that I read. In my mind, that would take some of the fun out of it. It becomes like work then.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #22
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Bullseye!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Unless an ebook is totally unreadable, I don't bother looking at it. I've learned how to use Sigil and I can use Calibre also. However, when I sit down to read a book, I'm trying to relax and enjoy my journey. The last thing on my mind is trying to fix the code of each book that I read. In my mind, that would take some of the fun out of it. It becomes like work then.
cfrizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:31 AM   #23
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
So ideally, I'd like to fix the crappy code, but don't know enough to always recognize it or skill to fix it quickly.

Well, I'm a professional web application developer, so I know how HTML works perfectly. That's also one reason why I don't care for Calibre's conversion. I don't even like WYSIWYG editors...

I mostly change the code because I want to generate three formats with my source: epub, mobi and PDF. The PDF gets created using the same HTML source as the epub, a few tools I created myself and LaTeX. So, my HTML must be perfect according to what my tools require.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:11 AM   #24
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I do my reading on the small screen, so I prefer the text without spaced paragraphs and with indents. Left-aligned text is just plain ugly. So how can I relax and enjoy when it's there like an itch? After few chapters I just have to 'scratch' and throw it to Sigil.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote