Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #46
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
What would you like to know? DeReader or myself may be able to answer your questions already?
I've read your reviews. Thank you. I was trying to help Shaggy justify purchasing one.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #47
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
That must be pressure from Irex, given the fact that Irex is charging so much more for shipment from Europe. Even though I don't pay the 19% VAT it would still be much cheaper for me to buy from the US. Irex probably wants the $399.- to be a US only deal.
That would be if it were an Irex only thing. But from what i see, it's a BB thing...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #48
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
That must be pressure from Irex, given the fact that Irex is charging so much more for shipment from Europe. Even though I don't pay the 19% VAT it would still be much cheaper for me to buy from the US. Irex probably wants the $399.- to be a US only deal.
BestBuy's policy of not shipping to known forwarders has nothing to do with iRex. That policy has been in place long before the DR800SG existed.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #49
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Just noticed that there have been some changes to the DR800SG entry on the Bestbuy.com website. It previously had a photo of the device in the leather cover and had many photos including ones showing the cover. Now most of the photos are gone, the remaining just show the device and the description now just says it has a protective sleeve.

I hope they are not trying to put out the $449 deluxe package again.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #50
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
That's a change that took place sometime today. I checked the status earlier this morning and it was still showing the old pictures and listing the old content. To be honest I was very surprised they were planning on including the cover and pen at the $399 price point. That just seemed like too much of a difference to the European model. I just wish they would start shipping the thing already, either this one or the deluxe version.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #51
CandyNJ66
Enthusiast
CandyNJ66 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I didn't know this thing existed until now! I was about to get the Nook but I have a $419 credit at Best Buy which makes me very curious about this thing. I will read reviews/look at videos in hope it can be ordered through BB in the next few days.
CandyNJ66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #52
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
That's a change that took place sometime today. I checked the status earlier this morning and it was still showing the old pictures and listing the old content. To be honest I was very surprised they were planning on including the cover and pen at the $399 price point. That just seemed like too much of a difference to the European model. I just wish they would start shipping the thing already, either this one or the deluxe version.
Well, according to the FCC filing, the dr800sg has to be used with the cover to be compliant, unless something has changed since.
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/f...ive_or_pdf=pdf

Either the device exceeds certain RF limits without the cover or that it was not certified without the cover (time / cost reasons?).
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #53
droople
Connoisseur
droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook,Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Well, according to the FCC filing, the dr800sg has to be used with the cover to be compliant, unless something has changed since.

Either the device exceeds certain RF limits without the cover or that it was not certified without the cover (time / cost reasons?).
Now I understand that why they sell SG together with cover, and S in Europe not.
droople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #54
jiuzhege
jiuzhege began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Just noticed that there have been some changes to the DR800SG entry on the Bestbuy.com website. It previously had a photo of the device in the leather cover and had many photos including ones showing the cover. Now most of the photos are gone, the remaining just show the device and the description now just says it has a protective sleeve.

I hope they are not trying to put out the $449 deluxe package again.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/IREX+-+D...&skuId=9556278

Our Price:
$399.99

What's Included
IREX Digital Reader
USB cable, USB charger
Navigation stylus, Protective sleeve
Owner's manual
jiuzhege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #55
droople
Connoisseur
droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook,Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiuzhege View Post
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/IREX+-+D...&skuId=9556278

Our Price:
$399.99

What's Included
IREX Digital Reader
USB cable, USB charger
Navigation stylus, Protective sleeve
Owner's manual
Navigation stylus, Protective sleeve are the standard accessory, previous it was IREX DR800 Luxury Leather Cover White and Professional Stylus
droople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:05 AM   #56
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Quote:

Ah, the plot thickens ! I guess the cover is not there to protect the device from the user but the user from the device ! ;-)
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #57
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
I found this article today, "Option integrates 3G/EV-DO solution into IREX's new e-reader"

Quote:
Option (EURONEXT Brussels: OPTI; OTC: OPNVY), the wireless technology company, today announced that the Company's mobile solution based on Gobi 2000 has been integrated into IREX's new DR800SG e-reader. Gobi 2000 is the first embedded module of its kind to offer worldwide high-speed wireless Internet access, thanks to the integration of quad-band WCDMA and dual-band EV-DO network connection technology. Besides supporting IREX with the incorporation of the wireless module in the e-reader, Option also closely worked together with the IREX engineering teams on the RF (Radio Frequency) implementation and on getting FCC and CE certification for the e-reader. As such, this project is an example of the Company's strategy to focus on bringing wireless broadband solution offerings, including software, high-value services and hardware, to innovative device manufacturers.
Perhaps this should be a separate thread in the News category, but until they release the product in the US, that feels more like crying wolf. And besides this seems related since they mention they used this company to help file for the FCC certification which is probably the main culprit which has held it up all these many months.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #58
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleykenb View Post
Ah, the plot thickens ! I guess the cover is not there to protect the device from the user but the user from the device ! ;-)
I've seen this in a couple devices. I don't think it only passes with the cover on , as it wouldn't pass EU regulations /at all/ if that were the case (covers don't absorb that much), the US allows approximately double what the EU does for maximum SAR.

What happens is that the FCC tests it with the 'included cover', and so only certifies it in that situation. If iRex were to change the device up a bit, they would need to certify it again. We'd need to see the actual SAR numbers to confirm either hypothesis. The PRS-900 has the same 'warning', but it's SAR numbers are low enough that they meet EU standards (which hints that the cover is NOT required to meet US standards, but rather the FCC only tested it one way, and only certifies it that way).
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #59
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
Has anyone used USUnlocked? Are they trustworthy and what costs do they have?
Totally trustworthy. 10% uplift on the purchasing price from US.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #60
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by droople View Post
Navigation stylus, Protective sleeve are the standard accessory, previous it was IREX DR800 Luxury Leather Cover White and Professional Stylus
Didn't check out the US package. But the European version didn't include the white leather cover as well.
BTW: I've ordered the cover separately. Don't like it at all. Looks and feels "cheap".
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote