kees
kees began at the beginning.

Device: palm E2
iRex emailaddress in EU is just a "information request form"
kees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:47 AM   #19
hapipiko
hapipiko
hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: first iLiad V2 (now retired) Kobo touch, samsung galaxy tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

To me, this is like suing a car manufacturer because your diesel pickup truck won't run on unleaded gasoline, or suing a stereo manufacturer because your CD player isn't compatible with MP3s.
Well, If you say it that way, its ok to me, these are things you know before you buy. Right?
But when you buy a brandnew eReader iLiad V2, with discount for 500 euro (750 $), original prize was 649 euro (970$) and nearly one year later .prc is not the common format but ePub anymore a simple update would help, right?
hapipiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #20
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapipiko View Post
Well, If you say it that way, its ok to me, these are things you know before you buy. Right?
You knew before you bought the iLiad that it didn't support ePub.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #21
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In case of the iLiad it is technical no problem to develop a working firmware for ePUB on the iLiad. The hardware of the iLiad is absolutely fit for this (as demonstrated by FBreader).
So you believe that a company is obligated to develop solutions for everything that the device is technically capable of?

How about MS Word documents, Kindle eBooks, Adobe DRM... I could go on. The eBook industry is full of competing formats. Do you really expect that a company is obligated to support every one of them? Guess what, none of them do.

You're complaining that it doesn't support something that the company never said it would support.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #22
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kees View Post
iRex emailaddress in EU is just a "information request form"
Try going through their support site instead of sending them emails.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #23
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
sorry I agree with Shaggy. If I want to take advantage of a special offer on a book that is not available in a format my Sony doesn't read, I'll buy it and format shift it. I don't run to Sony complaining I can't read MSReader or Mobipocket files or whatever. I knew that when I bought the Sony.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #24
kees

Yes, the Iliad/NRC offer was too good to be true :-)

People let me tell you: they are going down. I don't give a shit.

Wait another five years and you can buy the most fantastic stuff.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #25
kees

Quote:
So you believe that a company is obligated to develop solutions for everything that the device is technically capable of?

How about MS Word documents, Kindle eBooks, Adobe DRM... I could go on. The eBook industry is full of competing formats. Do you really expect that a company is obligated to support every one of them? Guess what, none of them do.

You're complaining that it doesn't support something that the company never said it would support.
Hi, iRex-man. Go tell it on your iRex forum.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:11 AM   #26
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
My new avatar says it all I think ...
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:18 AM   #27
hapipiko
hapipiko
hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: first iLiad V2 (now retired) Kobo touch, samsung galaxy tab
@Shaggy,
iRex told me in the first place that an updat did not have ' their highest priority'. (It could be possible, but..when?)
When I bought my iLiad ePub was only 5% of the common formats then.
However, sure I can buy ePub ebooks, strip the DRM and convert it with Calibre to .prc. but in the Netherlands that is illegal.

However, iRex agreed with their miserable service and compensated us in the Netherlands.
Wise-guys like you are still satisfied with this eReader.
So why should you get compensated?
hapipiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #28
Minie
Minie began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Boys, boys stop to argue about this iREX company and their products.
It is always the same story: a lot of promises, but they do not deliver. That is not only true for the iLIAD, but also for their newest products promises but no delivery:
- the DR1000SW (with Wifi) was announced but never launched ...
- the promised ePUB firmware for the DR1000 still not available ...
- the introduction date of the DR800SG is again delayed ...

Mark my words: this company will not survive 2010!
Minie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #29
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
Quote:
If you are selling a ebook reader and the standard format for ebook reader is the epub format, YOU MUST update the ebook reader's software.

Actually I love my iLiad, but I do not suggest to anyone to buy an iRex product 'cause the poor support.

f.
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #30
kees

shaggy/irex
My son in law, head of the local government adminstration has a budget to buy in januari 2010 50 ereaders. They employees prefer a reader with the possebility to take notes. Because of my experiences it will not be a product from iRex. Customerservices is the keyword.