Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-03-2006, 11:07 AM   #61
LittleTalker
Connoisseur
LittleTalker began at the beginning.

Thanks for the reply Henry.
I think the brochure is kind of ambiguous, it certainly led me to confusion. I have never used a palm or the like. Anyway, if it can access my computer wirelessly, it must mean that I can get something from my hard drive wirelessly. So (let's guess even further), I suppose some software a-la-sonicstage will be running on the PC to forward the files to the iLiad. So whatever you add to that program is either
(a) available (virtual browsing) or
(b)sync'ed (ie everything gets transferred with no chance to choose what files you need).
If it's (a) then we're talking about some kind of 'library' which is almost as good as browsing. In a way, it is the same.
But seems we'll get (b) (at least until the end of this year), which to me makes it pointless to have wireless at all. Right now, the wireless feature needs improvement since it's only purpose right now is to connect to IDS (to spend yet more cash!).
Well, they don't lie when they say the first batch is for the geeks, in a year either they have closed the business or we have a feature-rich device
LittleTalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:24 AM   #62
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTalker
But seems we'll get (b) (at least until the end of this year), which to me makes it pointless to have wireless at all. Right now, the wireless feature needs improvement since it's only purpose right now is to connect to IDS (to spend yet more cash!).
Well, actually they NEED the wireless for their business model. Since the Iliad is made for the B2B market, its needs to bee easy to handle for the customer. So the customer gets his Newspaper fed via the iDS Wireless whenever he is in reach of a suitable accespoint with just a press of a button. So its not pointless from their point of view. All us geeks want to use the wireless connection for more than that.

But lets wait and see what happens. Got my cash ready, just need the shop to open Guess you can call me a geek the.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2006, 11:43 AM   #63
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Got another couple of questions
Do the Memory Cards fit completely in the device or do they stick out?
Can it handle Memory cards with more than 1GB?
How long is a recharge?
How does the network connection via Ethernet work?
Does the Iliad power down completely, when you do not switch it of? Can you read the last shown page, while it is powering up again?
Do you already have a manual? If so, are you allowed to share it?

Ok, there will probably be mor questions later
Thans for feeding the information hungry poor.
Falk
Old 05-03-2006, 01:49 PM   #64
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader
sammykrupa doesn't littersammykrupa doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Henrique,
I can't believe how much info you have given us in this one thread!

Hmm. I guess the only reason I am not in line to buy the iLiad is simply because of eBook compatibilty questions. Is the encypted PDF support working decently yet? Are the rumors of Mobipocket support being stable true? I know Henrique that you probably can't answer these questions. Do you know anyone that I can get in contact with?

Sam Krupa
sammykrupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:51 PM   #65
oliverbogler
Connoisseur
oliverbogler has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad
Science Papers

Dear Henrycat,
Thanks for all the information you have posted already. I am trying to learn which of the e-ink readers might work well for scientific papers - I hate carrying around lots of these, and killing trees to do so, when I could put a few hundred on one of these, and read them anywhere.

Could I impose on you to try one on the Iliad? I am curious to see how they are rendered, and how readable the figures and columns etc are.

Here is a link to an open access pdf of a typical paper:
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/103/18/6958

Would you be kind enough to load it onto the Iliad and give me your impression? Can the grayscale figs still be made out. How readable is the paper if it is all on one page?

Thanks!

Oliver
oliverbogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2006, 05:01 AM   #66
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
More answers

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
Hey henrycat!

I just sent a PM with two links to PDFs I'd like you to try on the Iliad. One of them is a bit problematc, so it would be interesting to see how well it works on the Iliad. I can't post them here because anybody would be able to DL them and I think that would be rather illiegal...^^

If you have the time, please take pictures of page3 in both "books" and put them up here in the thread.

Thanks!
Here's the pics. The first pdf does take more time to load (+10secs)

http://ilimas4.com.sapo.pt/mobimas/IMG_1464.jpg

http://ilimas4.com.sapo.pt/mobimas/IMG_1465.jpg

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
Got another couple of questions
Do the Memory Cards fit completely in the device or do they stick out?
I only have CF, and the card enters totally. It makes a button pop-up, which sticks out, but you can rotate it to the right.

You can see in the picture the CF slot the button on the left, and the place to where it rotates.

http://ilimas4.com.sapo.pt/mobimas/IMG_1466.JPG

Quote:
Can it handle Memory cards with more than 1GB?
I have no idea, but if someone sent one to me i could find out!

Quote:
How long is a recharge?
I would say around 4 hours.

Quote:
How does the network connection via Ethernet work?
Simply plug the device to a modem with ethernet cable. No connection through USB.

Quote:
Does the Iliad power down completely, when you do not switch it of? Can you read the last shown page, while it is powering up again?
This isn't finished yet because it relies on Power management. When finished it should do everything of the above, but not by default i think, the user will have to choose in the settings.

Quote:
Do you already have a manual? If so, are you allowed to share it?
They are updating their manual after i told Alex some aspects i though could be inserted. Right now i can't say more, but when i can i'll let you guys know

Quote:
Ok, there will probably be mor questions later
Thans for feeding the information hungry poor.
Falk
Glad to keep anyone from dying of starvation
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammykrupa
Henrique,
I can't believe how much info you have given us in this one thread!

Hmm. I guess the only reason I am not in line to buy the iLiad is simply because of eBook compatibilty questions. Is the encypted PDF support working decently yet? Are the rumors of Mobipocket support being stable true? I know Henrique that you probably can't answer these questions. Do you know anyone that I can get in contact with?

Sam Krupa
When i talked with Alex it seemed Adobe would be making the default PDF viewer later this year, but they won't support encrypted PDF. Weird decision, but if that's what they want.

It's only later this year because they are updating the PDF format, and that has to be done before any viewer.

Has for Mobipocket support i can't give a final confirmation, but let's say it is very likely you will hear something about it this or next week
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:05 AM   #67
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverbogler
Dear Henrycat,
Thanks for all the information you have posted already. I am trying to learn which of the e-ink readers might work well for scientific papers - I hate carrying around lots of these, and killing trees to do so, when I could put a few hundred on one of these, and read them anywhere.

Could I impose on you to try one on the Iliad? I am curious to see how they are rendered, and how readable the figures and columns etc are.

Here is a link to an open access pdf of a typical paper:
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/103/18/6958

Would you be kind enough to load it onto the Iliad and give me your impression? Can the grayscale figs still be made out. How readable is the paper if it is all on one page?

Thanks!

Oliver
Just loaded it in the device and works ok. Everything i can see in the PC i can see on the Iliad.

I would suggest you print the pdf to 12x16cm. It will give you an idea of the text size.

Although it's readable on the screen the text is tiny. When the viewer can rotate the page to only show half the screen it will be a lot better for A4/Letter page PDFs
Old 05-04-2006, 05:22 AM   #68
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Henrycat, you are awesome.

One hing i see, is that many PDF Files hav a large paperborder. Any idea, if they will give us the ability for a software page crop (even better if you could do that automatically, with a choosable margin)? That would make those papers a whole lot easier to read.

PS: Henrycat, you need uppercase .JPG in those Imagelinks above.

Last edited by tribble; 05-04-2006 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Hint for Henrycat and image links
Old 05-04-2006, 05:26 AM   #69
tribble
iLiad Maniac

And another question. Dont really expect an answer here though. Do you have any idea, why they didnt make the backside smoother? Any usefullness there? Would have looked a lot slicker with a smoth backside.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:47 AM   #70
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrycat
The device on-screen toolbal has a button to bookmark, and another to show the list of bookmarks of the book you are reading.

I think i'm remembering correctly, my device doesn't have it yet but i saw it working on Alex device which had the latest OS version.
I'd be very interested to know how this works in the latest OS version.

Can bookmarks be set in any document type? Is there a maximum number of bookmarks for a single document?

In envision this type of device to be used for both my reference books and the books I read for pleasure, so bookmark setting will be very important.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:16 AM   #71
oliverbogler
Connoisseur
oliverbogler has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad
Quote:
Just loaded it in the device and works ok. Everything i can see in the PC i can see on the Iliad.

I would suggest you print the pdf to 12x16cm. It will give you an idea of the text size.

Although it's readable on the screen the text is tiny. When the viewer can rotate the page to only show half the screen it will be a lot better for A4/Letter page PDFs

Thanks!!
oliverbogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:28 AM   #72
Henrycat
Zealot

Answers
Quote:
Quote:
Henrycat, you are awesome.

One hing i see, is that many PDF Files hav a large paperborder. Any idea, if they will give us the ability for a software page crop (even better if you could do that automatically, with a choosable margin)? That would make those papers a whole lot easier to read.

PS: Henrycat, you need uppercase .JPG in those Imagelinks above.
Don't think they will provide any software for cropping margins

If they added it to the viewer i think it would require some extra processor power...

Are there any problems with Linked images?
Quote:
Quote:
And another question. Dont really expect an answer here though. Do you have any idea, why they didnt make the backside smoother? Any usefullness there? Would have looked a lot slicker with a smoth backside.
I think "slick" is a dangerous word to use with this kind of devices, and personally i'm more interested in the front of the device

Personally I like the uneven back when holding the device.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon
I'd be very interested to know how this works in the latest OS version.

Can bookmarks be set in any document type? Is there a maximum number of bookmarks for a single document?

In envision this type of device to be used for both my reference books and the books I read for pleasure, so bookmark setting will be very important.
This would depend on the viewer used for the format. Only time will tell, but at least you can expect updates for the viewers
Old 05-04-2006, 07:44 AM   #73
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Quote:
Don't think they will provide any software for cropping margins. If they added it to the viewer i think it would require some extra processor power...
Wouldn't mind the extra processor time, if i get a larger font without reformatting the document.

Quote:
Are there any problems with Linked images?
http://ilimas4.com.sapo.pt/mobimas/IMG_1464.JPG
http://ilimas4.com.sapo.pt/mobimas/IMG_1465.JPG
The Links with .jpg dont work, with .JPG they do

Quote:
I think "slick" is a dangerous word to use with this kind of devices, and personally i'm more interested in the front of the device.
Personally I like the uneven back when holding the device.
If it gives you a better grip, then thats ok. And slick shouldnt be slippery I just like the simple elegant design of the frontside and would hae liked it on the other side aswell.

What does the material of the iLiad feel like? Bad plastic feel or nice to hold in your hand? I love the feel of real books. especially hardcovers, but you cant have everything, right? At least not yet
Old 05-04-2006, 07:48 AM   #74
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Good work, Henry.

Last edited by Jaapjan; 05-04-2006 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Comment is unneeded.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:03 AM   #75
Henrycat
Zealot

Quote:
Wouldn't mind the extra processor time, if i get a larger font without reformatting the document.
I don't think the device will be able to auto-crop pdfs, but you never know

I just clicked them in IE and Opera, they worked and didn't think the file extension in CAPS would be a problem
Quote:
If it gives you a better grip, then thats ok. And slick shouldnt be slippery I just like the simple elegant design of the frontside and would hae liked it on the other side aswell.

What does the material of the iLiad feel like? Bad plastic feel or nice to hold in your hand? I love the feel of real books. especially hardcovers, but you cant have everything, right? At least not yet
Like i said i like to hold the device. The device is painted with a material that gives it a good grip, without the plastic feel.