Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #61
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It probably means no more than that they hit last-minute snags which weren't anticipated - perhaps beta testers found some nasty bug that's proving troublesome to fix. With the best will in the world, these things do happen.
I agree, delays happen and it doesn't damper my enthusiasm for what looks to be a really nice product. Time will tell whether it can truly compete with the other products on the market. They've definitely carved out a niche with the 8 inch screen

However, I continue to be amazed at how consistently they "screw up" product launches and software releases. They definitely have a trend of missing dates and from a business perspective they really need to understand what part of their process is breaking down and fix it.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:29 PM   #62
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
They've definitely carved out a niche with the 8 inch screen
Personally, I think the 8 inch screen is the best compromise between too small vs too big. As far as I know, iRex are the only ones who make a display controller for an 8 inch eInk screen, so they essentially have a lock on that size device.

Quote:
They definitely have a trend of missing dates
They're hardly unique in that though.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #63
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Personally, I think the 8 inch screen is the best compromise between too small vs too big. As far as I know, iRex are the only ones who make a display controller for an 8 inch eInk screen, so they essentially have a lock on that size device.
It is true that iRex use their own display controller, but the Epson Broadsheet can also drive 8" screens. EInk Corp. has been advertising 8" screens since Vizplex came out. The missing part of the puzzle was standard 8.1" screens in volume from PVI, and I think this is exactly what iRex is using in the DR800SG. It isn't clear if anyone else is going to use this screen size, perhaps we will hear more at CES.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #64
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
I don't see IREX on the upcoming January CES Exhibitors list if that means anything. Since they are already so very much out of the public's mind, they might as well wait until CES to see who they are competing against and re-introduce themselves... and hopefully not be like those Chinese restaurants with their grand opening decorations still hung out (barely) even after several years.

Last tweet from IREX was on Nov 6. Last update on their blog was on Nov 5. Looks like someone at IREX is taking a long unpaid vacation...
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #65
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It is true that iRex use their own display controller, but the Epson Broadsheet can also drive 8" screens. EInk Corp. has been advertising 8" screens since Vizplex came out. The missing part of the puzzle was standard 8.1" screens in volume from PVI, and I think this is exactly what iRex is using in the DR800SG. It isn't clear if anyone else is going to use this screen size, perhaps we will hear more at CES.
Thanks. I didn't realize the Epson controller came in an 8" size as well. That's good to know.
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #66
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffi View Post
They might as well close the doors now. They've missed the window and now they are right up against the Que Reader release and possibly Apple tablet.

They are done.
Wow, overreact much?
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:44 AM   #67
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
According to the specs of the Epson controller (S1D13521), it supports up to 2048x1536 resolution. At current dpi of the mainstream 6" displays (800x600 res.), that would be a 15" diagonal screen...
But the costs for such an E-ink layer would be huge!

It's smaller brother (S1D13522) supports up to 1024x768 resolution. Exact match with the resolution of 8" screen from the iLiad and DR800
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:50 AM   #68
gandalf2010
gandalf2010 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne66 View Post
Yeah I got the same email.

And I noticed that they can't spell January.

Etienne66
I have received a mail just now, and it says it has been delayed till end Januari, not mid.

If they continue like this, maybe for 2012?
gandalf2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #69
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf2010 View Post
I have received a mail just now, and it says it has been delayed till end Januari, not mid.

If they continue like this, maybe for 2012?
The Nook says the same thing. I just went to Barnes and Nobles site and it says that the Nook will not ship until February.

All signs are that this is a general eInk device problem. I'd put my money on a shortage of eInk screens that is effecting the DR800, Nook, PRS-900...
Old 12-15-2009, 01:09 PM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
All signs are that this is a general eInk device problem. I'd put my money on a shortage of eInk screens that is effecting the DR800, Nook, PRS-900...
Agreed. Good thing that PVI have announced that they'll be doubling their screen output in early 2010, from 100,000 to 200,000 screens per month.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #71
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Agreed. Good thing that PVI have announced that they'll be doubling their screen output in early 2010, from 100,000 to 200,000 screens per month.
Do you have a link to the announcement? Does it give any hints that there is currently a manufacturing capacity problem that is driving the need for an increase?
Old 12-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #72
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
It certainly seems to be an issue affecting many manufacturers. I can't help but wonder if Amazon is sucking up a very high percentage of the capacity.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:39 PM   #73
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
It certainly seems to be an issue affecting many manufacturers. I can't help but wonder if Amazon is sucking up a very high percentage of the capacity.
Same here. I would assume that the reason Amazon hasn't had delays yet is because they built up a large stock of devices leading up to the Christmas season. That is probably what caused the shortage for newer devices that are trying to get through manufacturing now. Amazon sucked up a lot of the available screens, and now the other manufacturers can't get on the shelves to compete with them for the holiday shopping.

It sucks for consumers, but from a business perspective it's a pretty slick move on Amazon's part, if that is what really happened. A good way of limiting your competition is to use up as much of the common resources that you're all dependent on.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #74
Shaggy
Wizard

FYI, I sent an email to PVI's e-paper sales representative asking if there is currently a screen shortage. I have no idea if they'll actually reply (I doubt it), but I'll pass on anything I learn.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #75
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
As for me I've given up for now. I went ahead and bought a Sony PRS-600. My brother had one and it handled the PDFs I wanted to read just fine and it's able to read epub.

The PDF's I want to read are for Microshaft's certification books. (No I don't like Microsoft, but they put money in my pockets.) And it reflowed the text just fine. I didn't know some PDFs could be reflowed. I learned something new. I'm sure the Irex will probably be able to do the same thing since they are using ADE.

I still want the DR800, but I will now wait for others to review it and maybe I'll buy one for my birthday in May. I still think the 8" screen is the idea size and I like their form factor. As long as the annotation works with that pen, they'll still probably get a purchase out of me, it will just be later rather than sooner.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote