Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #16
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Aside from Office and PDF, any dedicated e-book format ? ePub, Mobipocket ?
Mobipocket is still in there.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #17
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I've compiled a list of question I'm going to ask iRex.

You can view them here: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ajfk38cck9c8_18j4vf9vfk
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 09:17 AM   #18
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
What happened to the flipbar?
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:17 AM   #19
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Other than looking prettier (by a lot), what exactly are the differences to the iRex iLiad/2nd edition? There is the bigger screen (8.1" vs. 10.2"). What else?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:17 AM   #20
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Is storage SD only? No internal flash partition? When will SW model be available?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 09:22 AM   #21
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Other than looking prettier (by a lot), what exactly are the differences to the iRex iLiad/2nd edition? There is the bigger screen (8.1" vs. 10.2"). What else?
Resolution: 1024 x 1280 pixels, 160dpi
iliad v2: 768 x 1024

Greyscale, 16 color

CPU: Freescale i.MX31L processor (which appears to be designed to work at a speed >=532MHz)
128MB RAM
iliad v2: 400MHz, 64MB RAM

Out of box file format support: PDF, PowerPoint, HTML, .txt, Mobipocket, JPEG, PNG, GIF, TIFF, BMP
No ePub ("yet?")
iliad v2: no ppt?

Battery(life): Li-Ion, ~24h (duno battery capacity though)
Recharging time 5 hours with USB charging from powered computer
iliad v2: ~9-13hrs, cannot charge via USB (This one seems to be able to)

With Regard to the "Touchscreen" stuff:

It has "Navigation keys" that respond to being lightly touched, with optical feedback to show you that you managed to hit the key correctly. doubt it will have more than that by way of touch screen, since i don't think the Wacom and touchscreen can be combined in the same screen. (sort of like the Samsung u700 phone has)

Edit in response for/to Adam: yes, i read dutch, and am getting most of the info from there as well, along with doing some WP:Synth :P
It appears the weight difference between the Reader 1000 and 1000S is 35g.

Companion software/thing itself installs a printer driver that allows you to print to (a directory on) the Reader

New(?): Text searching in PDFs (with built-in keypad+stylus)

(From a review):the OS has been redesigned, which has "greatly improved" the responsiveness of the OS and it has a "Low power consumption mode that disables the CPU"
Also, the casing's strength has been improved, and you can drop it on a hard surface without necessarily breaking it.

Last edited by zerospinboson; 09-22-2008 at 09:58 AM.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:23 AM   #22
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
This site seems to have a lot of technical information.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #23
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Given the large screen, what sort of case is supplied?
How well will the case protect the display/device from bending, accidental drops, etc?
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:31 AM   #24
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Well that is interesting. If runtime is only 24 hours then WiFi is not very useful since you have to plugin often to recharge anyway.
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:31 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What eBook formats are supported? If MobiPocket, have they added the "missing" features such as:

- Bookmarks <---- my #1 priority!
- The ability to display the cover of a book.
- The ability to load and select different fonts.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #26
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
24 hours battery life, come on!

Maybe 24 hours battery life with Wacom used would be acceptable.
Otherwise you end up charging this thing every day as usual.

Where is my 60-70 hours of battery life?
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #27
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Looks like a very nice device. Assuming the software has search capabilities and the ability to have several documents loaded at once (I don't think anyone knows that yet?) it would be great for table-top role-playing GMs. This is probably not a market they've even considered, but most RPGs are available as PDFs these days, and it beats carrying a rucksack full of rule books around.

However, I've only had my iLiad six months, there's no way I can afford one of these...

The iRex blog said the the big announcement today would be about software as well as hardware. Haven't seen any sign of the software announcement yet.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:46 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
24 hours battery life, come on!

Maybe 24 hours battery life with Wacom used would be acceptable.
Otherwise you end up charging this thing every day as usual.
Are you really going to use it 24h a day?

If you read on it for an hour a day, you'd only recharge once every 24 days.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:48 AM   #29
prlwytzkofsky
prlwytzkofsky began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad
Just ordered a DR1000S! Loved my Iliad, this should prove to be even better. Since I live in the Netherlands I hope it will be delivered quite soon
prlwytzkofsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:50 AM   #30
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Anyone have some insight as to whether this new device actually supports PowerPoint document in native format? I'm a bit suspicious of the "print to" language that iRex is using. Seems that if it can directly support PowerPoint that it should also support Word documents as well......

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote