Notices

Old 02-04-2008, 01:37 AM   #1
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair
Mike's Place doesn't litterMike's Place doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Calling all Math Enthusiasts!

Hello everyone!

I just joined today. I live in the East Bay (near San Francisco, Ca).

After about six months of studying the different readers I had decided to get a new 10" Fujitsu stylist with a 10hr battery.

Before I could buy the Fujitsu, and to my surprise, my wife and mother presented me with a Sony Reader PRS-505. I didn't let on, but I wasn't happy. The reviews were terrible. I loaded up a math book as a PDF and couldn't read it because the print was too small.

Then I discovered this wonderful forum. I downloaded PDFLRFwin-0.99 and WOW!!! What a difference! It digests everything I throw at it and produces perfectly readable mathematical books. Now I love my reader! It has replaced a banker box of books and papers that use to accompany me on car trips (which explains why my wife was so happy to provide me with the Reader).

I am so glad I have the Sony Reader instead of the bulkier Fujitsu. It is pretty darn near perfect (oh sure, nested TOC/bookmarks would be slick and so would searches, but I'm doing fine without them).

Two weeks ago I flew coast to coast then back with no entertainment save my Reader. On my return I still had two bars of charge left on my battery.

I hope to return to college next year so I'm studying my undergraduate math and first year graduate math classes.

Are there any other math guys out there using the Sony Reader?
Mike's Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Not a math guy myself, but I think that's pretty damn great! Well done!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Mike's Place and welcome to the Forum. Not a math guy either but I do have a 505 and love it. Like you I'm delighted with the battery life
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Welcome, Mike. I'm a professional chemist and math enthusiast. Like you, pdflrf made lots of things possible after my initial horror from looking at an unconverted pdf on my Reader. Six months later the thrill is still there, but without the ability to easily flip between sections of a document, search, take notes, have multiple documents open at once, etc., I've concluded that I really can't use my Reader efficiently for technical work. I'll need a tablet for that. But if I just want to read one thing from beginning to end, whether technical or not, it's terrific. I'm glad your satisfied, too.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
As I remember Bob Russell is a math guy and HarryT is a physics guy. I did a minor in math in college. The Sony is a great machine for reading all sorts of things.

Glad to have you as a member of the forums.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I'm a Math and Physics double bachelors, followed by a Comp Sci masters and "ABD" (90% of a phd, but no thesis). But I haven't tried any technical stuff yet on my 3 days old Kindle. Just fun reading.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
I tried a couple math book samples (from Springer) on my kindle and they did not look good. I think the format is the so-called Topaz, and most of the embedded fonts just look horrible.

On the plus side though, you don't need to transpose your head for Amazon's Topaz files.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #8
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
but without the ability to easily flip between sections of a document, search, take notes, have multiple documents open at once, etc., I've concluded that I really can't use my Reader efficiently for technical work. I'll need a tablet for that. But if I just want to read one thing from beginning to end, whether technical or not, it's terrific. I'm glad your satisfied, too.
Yes, that's the trick. It should pretty much be a book you are reading from start to finish. The way I get around that is with lots of notes. Next to my notes I jot down page numbers for everything. Then it is easy to flip back and forth. It works very well actually.

Oh, I also use a lot of 3x5 cards for formulas, methods, tables, definitions and shorter proofs. I jot the book and page number on these also. It is basically "active" reading - very important for learning math.

Mike
Old 02-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #9
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
As I remember Bob Russell is a math guy and HarryT is a physics guy. I did a minor in math in college. The Sony is a great machine for reading all sorts of things.

Glad to have you as a member of the forums.
Thanks, I'll drop them a hello.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #10
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I'm a Math and Physics double bachelors, followed by a Comp Sci masters and "ABD" (90% of a phd, but no thesis). But I haven't tried any technical stuff yet on my 3 days old Kindle. Just fun reading.
Very cool. I was a math/physics major but I did a lot of Comp sci as Unix was being developed on microcomputers (Sun and Intel). Never heard of an ABD... sounds interesting.

Mike
Old 02-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #11
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
I tried a couple math book samples (from Springer) on my kindle and they did not look good. I think the format is the so-called Topaz, and most of the embedded fonts just look horrible.
I purchased an online book from Amazon (a V.I. Arnold classic) to read on my laptop. You have to stay online to change pages. I was quite happy with the annotative aspects of their viewer. I thought the Kindle would have a similar display, but I guess now no.

I think you would like how PDFLRF works with the Sony Reader. I don't mind cocking my head 90 degrees, but I've found it measurably more convenient to rotate the reader -90 degrees. It sits comfortably on my exercise bike in that position too.

Mike
Old 02-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Mike, you will have already seen a post by Recycledelectron (I love that name) here who teaches math at a university somewhere. I'd say he's completely committed to using his Reader for math work.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #13
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's Place View Post
Never heard of an ABD... sounds interesting.
"All But Dissertation" I've heard it used in various settings.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:29 PM   #14
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
"All But Dissertation" I've heard it used in various settings.
Ah, thanks for clarity.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:36 PM   #15
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Mike, you will have already seen a post by Recycledelectron (I love that name) here who teaches math at a university somewhere. I'd say he's completely committed to using his Reader for math work.
Yes, I think he goes by the name Andy in another realm. He's done an amazing job of integrating all his schooling into the Reader. He even listens to class audio while flipping through jpegs of black boards. I have to admit, I'm enough of a gadgeteer that it makes my mouth water to hear such things.

Yes, very fun name - 'Recycledelectron' . Wonder if he's a fan of Italo Calvino?

Mike