Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Libra - free e-book collection/organization software

Libra is a tool which allows you to organize your e-book collection. It's free for non-commercial use and available for Windows machines.

I haven't tried it yet, but the screenshots look great.

Link: http://www.getlibra.com/

If you give it a try please post your feedback here. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen3s.jpg
Views:	1135
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	11204  
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One of the reviews of this program said it's got spyware in it. Is this true?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Don't think so - mentioned here
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
looks a bit like delicious library for the mac
http://www.delicious-monster.com/
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
I use delicious and its great.

in the other info section I put a link to the ebook file.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:19 AM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Gave Libra a download & install and it's managed to detect & use my (very old) webcam for grabbing barcodes then getting the details from Amazon - whether I'll use any such software, I don't know, as I've not so far, but it seems worth a look if you might use this sort of thing!
Old 03-05-2008, 05:52 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Gave Libra a download & install and it's managed to detect & use my (very old) webcam for grabbing barcodes then getting the details from Amazon - whether I'll use any such software, I don't know, as I've not so far, but it seems worth a look if you might use this sort of thing!
gwynevans : can you tell me, if you don't have a webcam, is it possible to enter manually numbers from the barcodes ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:05 AM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
gwynevans : can you tell me, if you don't have a webcam, is it possible to enter manually numbers from the barcodes ?
Yes, numbers or keywords & it then goes & looks them up on Amazon. You can select which Amazon DB it uses - choice of Canada, France, Germany, Japan, UK or US.

e.g. I type in "0321305256" and I get the "Stylin' with CSS" guide, I type in "Stylin' CSS" & it shows me both my book and the 2nd edition.

Also claims to import from various sources such as Delicious, LibraryThing, Excel & text files, but I've not tried that.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
@ gwynevans : thank you for the info ! i think i will try it out...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:16 AM   #10
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

I recently organised over 500 books into delicious and started using the webcam to read the barcode, the software programs such as delicious and libra that do this are great for novelty value but become a little tiresome for doing a lot of scanning, you have to wiggle and move the book around to get the clear read, in that time i can type the code in quicker myself.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I would imagine it's easier to fetch the information from online.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #12
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I would imagine it's easier to fetch the information from online.
it is and i did. you still have to type in something to identify what book you have, in my case the ISBN served to get the info from online.

Would be great if I could get similiar action for my Ebooks! I guess its possible as Libprs gets the covers so should be able to get the other book info too I guess, and a GUI which could show the book covers instead of just the titles would look great.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
libprs for example already gets most metadata (including ISBN) if you specify just the title, or just the author.

I don't think a GUI that display covers is really a good idea. Sure it looks great for a little while, but it makes actually getting information about your books much harder, since you have to click each books to get any non-cover information about it, rather than just reading it off at a glance.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:25 AM   #14
gwynevans
Wizzard

If you're trying to track the location of pBooks, it's got it's advantages though they're less for eBooks.

Also, the way it's able to retrieve the combined info & cover pages from Amazon is quite nice, as that makes it easy to choose which of the results is the actually wanted one.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:03 AM   #15
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
libprs for example already gets most metadata (including ISBN) if you specify just the title, or just the author.

I don't think a GUI that display covers is really a good idea. Sure it looks great for a little while, but it makes actually getting information about your books much harder, since you have to click each books to get any non-cover information about it, rather than just reading it off at a glance.
I agree it looks good but I dont avtually use that to look for the book!
Its just that as Libprs already gets covers it would be a nice function.

More important and relevant would be a description of the book that could pop up when i click on it in Libprs like an electronic version of reading the back cover.