Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-15-2019, 10:35 AM   #31
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I added a link to Tex2000ans PageEdit install / use guide as a new post to the sticky “Where is Book View” thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You might want to make Tex2002ans's very detailed PageEdit installation guide a sticky and maybe also add it to the user guide.

Let me know once the "nomove" branch is ready for first tests.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
So because PageEdit's installer is not a bloated installer that makes you answer a ton of questions about how and where to install it, it's somehow MORE difficult to use? I'm not doubting you at all. I'm just questioning my ability to be able to do anything to help anyone who feels that PageEdit is difficult to install or configure (anyone who is remotely capable of creating/editing an epub with Sigil, that is).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-15-2019 at 10:46 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
It would have helped me when I was first dipping a toe into eBook production and looking for information about the available tools.
So you're saying it DID help you then? Because I can assure you that the About page was more than likely there in the same basic format when you DID first dip your toe in. So how did it work for you back then when first investigating Sigil?
Old 09-15-2019, 10:46 AM   #34
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
The funny thing is dragging and dropping an app on the /Applications folder is pretty much the gold standard for installation of any program on a Mac. Installers packages are rarely used and only when truly required, ie. installing multiple apps/things to different places at the same time.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I've got a crazy idea! Why don't those who feel the current documentation might be insufficient for noobies (none of whom will be missing Book View when they first come to Sigil, by the way) use the github repo we set up special to make it easier (with the FolderIn/FolderOut plugins) for knowledgeable Sigil users to help with maintaining the User Guide? Not one edit made by anyone other than Kevin or myself since we set it up (Tex2002an is exempt since he already did so much to update the guide).

It's been crickets since we made it possible for knowledgeable users to help with the documentation. Crickets. But if someone were to submit a pull request for the User Guide with Tex's screen shots and instructions for getting PageEdit set up, I'd approve it. I bet Kevin would, too.
Advert
Old 09-15-2019, 11:26 AM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've got a crazy idea! Why don't those who feel the current documentation might be insufficient for noobies (none of whom will be missing Book View when they first come to Sigil, by the way) use the github repo we set up special to make it easier (with the FolderIn/FolderOut plugins) for knowledgeable Sigil users to help with maintaining the User Guide? Not one edit made by anyone other than Kevin or myself since we set it up (Tex2002an is exempt since he already did so much to update the guide).

It's been crickets since we made it possible for knowledgeable users to help with the documentation. Crickets. But if someone were to submit a pull request for the User Guide with Tex's screen shots and instructions for getting PageEdit set up, I'd approve it. I bet Kevin would, too.
You are quite right. We're all (except Tex) quite negligent and yes, I suck too. (I wish that this were 2010; truth be told, I used Sigil so much more back then that it was second-nature to me. Less so now. Not an excuse; just a worry on my part that any contributions I'd have would be woefully out of date. Half the time on these forums, when you talk about features, I have NO idea what those are or how to deploy them.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #37
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I was think the same (packaged) with the main installer asking the Question "do you want to also install the latest ... at this time" (and where?), the make the proper entry into Sigil

Note: I don't use this tool so YMMV
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #38
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I thought I'd pass this on for information. This is what happened in Win 10 when I double-clicked the self-extracting .exe for PageEdit.

The extraction was clearly happening but there was no obvious sign of the extracted PageEdit dir afterwards. It certainly wasn't in the same directory as the .exe - which is what is implied in your Help page

I finally tracked it down very deep in a directory, on a different disk drive, owned by my filemanager program (not Win10 FileExplorer), i.e.

Code:
D:\aa_Downloads\PageEdit_0.9.5-Win_x64.exe
was auto-extracted to
Code:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\zabkat\xplorer2\PageEdit\
When I deleted everything and started again, all worked as per the Help page when I opened a standard Win FileExplorer window and did the double-clicking there.

I'm not passing this on to complain or blame, just that it might cause your non-techie users to fall at the first hurdle if they have a different favourite filemanager.

Last edited by jackie_w; 09-15-2019 at 11:43 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:53 AM   #39
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'm not passing this on to complain or blame, just that it might cause your non-techie users to fall at the first hurdle if they have a different favourite filemanager.
When you show me "non-techie users" using file-managers other than the one that comes built-into the Windows OS (favorite or otherwise), I'll concede the point. Until then ...
Old 09-15-2019, 12:34 PM   #40
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
When you show me "non-techie users" using file-managers other than the one that comes built-into the Windows OS (favorite or otherwise), I'll concede the point. Until then ...

I have problems understanding how some non-tech folk even attempt to do techie things without reading instructions (RTFM) and can't understand why they fail (or turn a simple techie issue into a disaster).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #41
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

I have problems understanding how some non-tech folk even attempt to do techie things without reading instructions (RTFM) and can't understand why they fail (or turn a simple techie issue into a disaster).
Got 50 hours? I can probably tell you ALL about it in that much time, or a wee bit more. (sigh).

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:00 PM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I used to ask the Doctors I worked for (in an I.T. capacity) for free advice on home surgical procedures when they got too demanding about me "helping" them do something on the computer they weren't capable of doing.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:17 PM   #43
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
I removed the conflicting info from the sigil-ebook.com/about page. But since there are, in fact, no links to the sigil-ebook.com/about page from Sigil itself (nor on github, nor on Mobileread), I doubt very highly it will help with anything.
The only thing it will help is stopping people from pointing to the conflicting info and saying, "this says Sigil is a WYSIWYG editor!"

But seriously, you and KevinH are going above and beyond with your support efforts. I hope people who use BookView appreciate that and either give PageEdit a try or just stick with 0.9.14, which should work just fine.

Last edited by odamizu; 09-15-2019 at 04:35 PM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:39 PM   #44
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I used to ask the Doctors I worked for (in an I.T. capacity) for free advice on home surgical procedures when they got too demanding about me "helping" them do something on the computer they weren't capable of doing.
Immediately after confirming my diagnosis of mild gout, and giving me the leaflet about all the stuff not to eat/drink, my doctor handed me three bottles of red wine as thanks for fixing his computer. When I questioned his clinical consistency he replied "Well, don't drink them all at once if you're in the middle of a gout attack".
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:05 PM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Immediately after confirming my diagnosis of mild gout, and giving me the leaflet about all the stuff not to eat/drink, my doctor handed me three bottles of red wine as thanks for fixing his computer. When I questioned his clinical consistency he replied "Well, don't drink them all at once if you're in the middle of a gout attack".
Discovering how ... how should I say this? Un-genius-like(?) many surgeons actually seemed to be was a real eye-opener for me.