Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #31
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
....My local-to-work station (and presumably others) have been putting out announcements about how the cctv cameras are watching us for our safety. Yet the BBC had a report a couple of weeks back that said only 1 in about 1000 crimes are solved by the use of cctv, and a senior police officer (I think) commented recently that there are too many cctv cameras for the amount of trained staff (he was suggesting that there should be more trained staff though, not less cctv cameras )
I have mixed feelings about CCTV cameras - on the whole I think they're necessary; but it's sad to live in a society where that's the case.

But whatever happened to the ones with speakers? I remember seeing them on TV, they were being used to berate litter droppers - a voice from the sky telling 'you, yes you in the check shirt!' to 'pick that up and use the bin near the bus stop'. I wanted that job!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:47 AM   #32
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I always figured that the Thought Police's role was to serve as the watch dogs of the inner party and as instruments through which the inner party exercised its power over the outer party. I think the novel is clear enough that the inner party is in the highest position in society.

--
Bill

yes, but the confusing thing to me was the implication that even members of the inner party were not 'safe' - and I couldn't figure out where the TP were situated ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 05:47 AM   #33
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I have mixed feelings about CCTV cameras - on the whole I think they're necessary; but it's sad to live in a society where that's the case.

But whatever happened to the ones with speakers? I remember seeing them on TV, they were being used to berate litter droppers - a voice from the sky telling 'you, yes you in the check shirt!' to 'pick that up and use the bin near the bus stop'. I wanted that job!

and how often do you read of cctv pictures not being 'good' enough for identification ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote