Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
Sony ebook prices

after finally getting the weekly email from Sony I see that quiet a few new releases are up in the $16 - $18 price range. Has anyone else noticed this and written to them ( I just have) as they are getting a little to expensive at those prices. Has anyone done a price comparison between all the book shops to see who is the cheapest or do we think this is a publishers issue and not the reseller (sony)?

Natalie
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
It's mostly a publisher issue. Amazon has a little more clout and can get better discounts, I believe.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
I've noticed quite often that prices on hardcovers will go down after a few weeks. I wanted Gregory Maguire's "A Lion Among Men" but $20 was too much for me and it was similarly priced at Fictionwise. I emailed the Sony eBook Store; never got a response but it went down to about $15 (40% off) a few weeks later and I conveniently had a 25% off coupon. Now it's $12 (56% off) about what I paid using the coupon. Patience pays off!
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
I've noticed quite often that prices on hardcovers will go down after a few weeks. I wanted Gregory Maguire's "A Lion Among Men" but $20 was too much for me and it was similarly priced at Fictionwise. I emailed the Sony eBook Store; never got a response but it went down to about $15 (40% off) a few weeks later and I conveniently had a 25% off coupon. Now it's $12 (56% off) about what I paid using the coupon. Patience pays off!
It can hurt though, I waited to buy the bundle with the first three Stephanie Plum books, but then it went up a few bucks up in price. Big bummer
Old 02-08-2009, 01:54 AM   #5
corband
corband began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwinter View Post
after finally getting the weekly email from Sony I see that quiet a few new releases are up in the $16 - $18 price range. Has anyone else noticed this and written to them ( I just have) as they are getting a little to expensive at those prices. Has anyone done a price comparison between all the book shops to see who is the cheapest or do we think this is a publishers issue and not the reseller (sony)?

Natalie
I refuse to pay double digets for an e-book. If I am paying $16 plus dollars for a book I want a paper Hardcover book. I may be in the minority, but it makes no sense to me to pay near Hardcover prices for digets. I love my e-book reader and love reading books on it. But there is a limit to what I will pay for electronic digets. There is something fullfilling about holding the latest copy of a loved book series in your hands. Looking at the duskcover and smelling the paper. Than once done, placing it on the shelf with its companions.

Now when that same books comes out in e-book format for the right price, I may buy it again so I have it on my Sony 505 for enjoyment later. I read the Honor Harrington Series the first time on paper and the 2nd and 3rd time as e-books. Thankfully Baen does not charge excess abouts for their e-books.
corband is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2009, 02:02 AM   #6
Book Worm
Enthusiast
Book Worm doesn't litterBook Worm doesn't litterBook Worm doesn't litter

Device: Sony e Reader 505 *BLUE*
I would think that in time, like everything else, the price will go down. The E readers are still a new "smaller" market item.

I bet in a year or two the prices will drop to something we will all agree on.

Right now being the owner of a e reader is not a cheap investment. The people that get one are not the people who read one or two books a year. (I could be wrong)

Look at DVD players when they first came out. You had to pay 300 bucks to get one, now you can pick one up at walmart for 19.99!
Book Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Speaking of sony store books..

How come it has The Stand by Stephen King listed at 35 dollars? Thats just crazy?!?
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Speaking of sony store books..

How come it has The Stand by Stephen King listed at 35 dollars? Thats just crazy?!?
A lot of his ebooks are like that at all the stores. Who knows?
Old 02-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Silly prices are often no more than human error. It's always worth contacting the store and asking whether the price is correct.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The stand at amazon is only 10 bucks, and thats for the unedited version. Sony is asking 35 dollars for the edited one.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Silly prices are often no more than human error. It's always worth contacting the store and asking whether the price is correct.

Even at Fictionwise, unfortunately, the price is outrageous:

You Pay: $50.00 / Club: $42.50
Micropay Rebate: 15% / 15%
Cost After Rebate: $42.50 / $36.12
You Save: 15% / 27.76%

A pretty steep price at any given price point. The least expensive price is $36.12. This is for the uncut version, by the way.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #12
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan

wow. Thats a huge incentive to go with the kindle, if alot of books are like that.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:35 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Even at Fictionwise, unfortunately, the price is outrageous:
It would be - the incorrect price will be coming from the publisher, so it'll feed through to all the stores. It's plainly wrong. I would suggest querying it, if anyone's interested in buying the book.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:36 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
wow. Thats a huge incentive to go with the kindle, if alot of books are like that.
They aren't. For most books, you'll pay pretty much the same at all the major eBook stores.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #15
sammsmom
Enthusiast
sammsmom doesn't littersammsmom doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I also refuse to pay double digits for an ebook. If I'm paying that much for a book it's going to be a hardback edition, but that's just my preference.
sammsmom is offline   Reply With Quote