Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2021, 08:28 AM   #1
kannalo
kannalo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
System Updates

I just got a popup on my device asking me to update. If i do update will it make koreader and other things I have installed stop working? If so is there a way to disable updates so I dont accidentally accept one. Thankyou
kannalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:58 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
Depends on how you launch it, but regardless, it's trivial to handle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
NOTE: Something that bears repeating from KFMon's FAQ: a FW update will disable it, so you'll have to reinstall it after a FW update in order to be able to launch stuff again. You can either use these packages or the standalone KFMon package.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2021, 03:33 PM   #3
kannalo

Quote:
Depends on how you launch it, but regardless, it's trivial to handle:
Okay thankyou, would not updating be negative in any way if im not using any of the stock firmware features?
Old 01-14-2021, 04:23 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannalo View Post
Okay thankyou, would not updating be negative in any way if im not using any of the stock firmware features?
Are you using KSM 09? If you are using NickelMenu/KFMon, it's relatively trivial to recover from the software update. KSM 09 is more of an issue and may never work on your Clara HD after the firmware update.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:20 PM   #5
kannalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Are you using KSM 09? If you are using NickelMenu/KFMon, it's relatively trivial to recover from the software update. KSM 09 is more of an issue and may never work on your Clara HD after the firmware update.
It just has kfmon and nickelmenu, I think i may have applied some patches or something also but really dont remember as I did this a while ago
Advert
Old 01-14-2021, 07:09 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
On the current lineup of devices (which means the Clara still barely makes the cut), there's always a chance something interesting will happen, so, yeah, I do recommend tracking FW updates properly.

TL;DR: The more recent the device is, the more you should actually care about updates.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-15-2021 at 02:30 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:18 PM   #7
kannalo

Quote:
On the current lineup of devices (which means the Clara still barely makes the cut), there's always a chance something interesting will happen, so, yeah, I do recommend tracking FW updates properly.
Okay ill go ahead and update then thankyou