Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2021, 10:10 AM   #16
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
The power covers were never available AFAIK from the time they put the Sage up on their site up to and including today.

The text under the cover has changed from I think sold out originally or unavailable to coming soon which is what it said the last time I bothered checking.

I suspect they’re still in production or maybe awaiting some approval, since again AFAIK, this would be the first cover with a battery Kobos has ever sold.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:54 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozkas View Post
Hi, and thank you!

Totally forgot about those, shame on me.

My usual usage:
Wifi and sync off
Frontlight max 10% on half the reading time
Auto confort light on
Refresh every 6 pages (every page on manga)

Thanks!
You may not need to refresh every page.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I spotted this YouTube video on the topic of Sage battery life just this morning, may be helpful to those wondering.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:25 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Given the battery of the Sage, I may go for a Libra 2.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:36 AM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can't go wrong with that.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2021, 11:55 AM   #21
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I would be interested in an objective comparison of Battery life between Forma and Sage. (Same battery and screen size, but Sage has more CPU Power and RAM, which can make a big difference).. I know I was amazed by how long the battery on the Forma lasted, even though it is smaller. (By comparison, the Kobo Aura One and Oasis 2 readers had pathetic battery life. They never failed me, but watching the meter and battery anxiety were a thing over weekend reading binges. That's *never* been an issue for me on the Forma.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:21 PM   #22
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 11, iPad mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
IIRC, NO e-ink ereaders have backlights. Many, otoh, have frontlights
Turn it upside down.
martinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:24 PM   #23
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 11, iPad mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I would be interested in an objective comparison of Battery life between Forma and Sage. (Same battery and screen size, but Sage has more CPU Power and RAM, which can make a big difference).. I know I was amazed by how long the battery on the Forma lasted, even though it is smaller. (By comparison, the Kobo Aura One and Oasis 2 readers had pathetic battery life. They never failed me, but watching the meter and battery anxiety were a thing over weekend reading binges. That's *never* been an issue for me on the Forma.
The battery life of the A1 was OK, but the battery life of the Forma is really great. Seems Forma is one of the absolutley best optimized e-reader from Kobo.
martinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 03:12 PM   #24
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
they both have 512MB of RAM.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 03:14 PM   #25
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I really considered it, but being so old a device (comparatively) i have some reservations.
just because the Sage is newer it doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

best wishes koboy
Old 11-25-2021, 03:43 PM   #26
Fozkas
Connoisseur
Fozkas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
You may not need to refresh every page.
I've had some more ghosting than I'd like on mangas, even so. I get the much lower read time with manga
Quote:
Already have the libra h20, I'd like more space and better contrast, but not worth the money to upgrade i think
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
just because the Sage is newer it doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

best wishes koboy
For sure! That said, i bought the libra when launched and was quite pleased (in fairness as have been with all kobos I've had)

My qualm with the forma would be more "an upgrade to an older device than my current one".

My brain does not compute that ahah

The upgrade to the sage would be mainly for the bigger screen. Guess I'll have to keep waiting for kobo to release an 8 inch purelly for reading (no audio or note taking business). Would it be much to ask also of it wasn't a square? I happily trade the buttons for a beter fit on my carry bag eheh
Fozkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 04:00 PM   #27
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Would it be much to ask also of it wasn't a square? I happily trade the buttons for a beter fit on my carry bag eheh
like you i'm no fan of squarish e-readers, i blame the Kindle Oasis for it, but, of course who knows for sure why Kobo went square

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 11-25-2021 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 05:03 PM   #28
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Well, that's not a deterrent to me personally, as I liked the original Oasis, and I'm never away from my home for longer than a few hours. I wish Kobo would release that power cover for the Sage, though. It's still not in stock anywhere.
But the original Oasis came stock with the battery cover, if I remember correctly, so you never had to deal with a short battery life.

This is not a big deal to me (personally) because the size (too big for me) and shape (not a fan of square readers) would have deterred me anyhow. But, since the Sage is already significantly heavier than the Forma, it seems like a couple ounces more for a higher capacity battery may have been a good idea.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:39 PM   #29
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
No, square isn't so good. I guess I'll be sticking with my Aura One at least a while longer hoping for a normal shaped reader with minimum 8" screen and higher power engine inside.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:27 PM   #30
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
I love square ereaders

I might get the Sage when Kobo solves the battery issue later
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote