Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2021, 08:30 PM   #1
kch
kch began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Text with side-loaded font cut off at the bottom in vertical layout (synched KePub)

Hello,

I am experiencing a problem with side-loaded fonts on Kobo Libra H2O (4.25.15875). The text gets cut off at the bottom of the page when I am reading KePub (also ePub) in vertical layout (Chinese).

I crawled up a bit here and found the solution to fix it when side-loading KePub via Calibre with Kobo Touch Extended Drive by adding the following to kobo_extra.css:

Code:
body {
  margin: 0 !important;
  padding: 0 !important;
}

body>div {
  /*padding-top: 0.2em !important;*/   /* Seems to be unnecessary, as the problem only exists at the bottom part in vertical text */
  padding-bottom: 0.3em !important;    /* Changed from 0.2em -> 0.3 em for better balanced spacing */
}
It works well for side-loaded KePub.

I also want to get it work with synched KePub books, I also tried patching the Nickel firmware with the code I found on a pgaskin patch here back for 4.16.13162. I adapted it a bit for the padding-bottom also as 0.3em have it added to the bottom of libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml of the kobopatch_4.25.15875. Then I ran the patch to my Libra H2O.

Code:
Fix three KePub fullScreenReading bugs:
  - Enabled: yes
  - Description: See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3113460&postcount=16
  - FindReplaceString:
      Find:    "img { display: block; margin-left: auto !important; margin-right: auto !important; width: auto !important; height: auto !important; }"
      Replace: "body { margin: 0 !important; padding: 0 !important; }  body>div { padding-left: 0.2em !important; padding-right:  0.3em !important; }"
      # CUSTOM: Changed padding-right from 0.2em to 0.3em.
      #
      MustMatchLength: yes
    # Optional replacement values below (all relate to the second problem above):
    # set the amount of added padding: `1` = 0.1em, `2` = 0.2em, etc.
    # 0.1em is enough for many fonts, but some (such as Georgia) need 0.2em.
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x52, Find: "2", Replace: "2"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x74, Find: "2", Replace: "3"}
    # CUSTOM: Changed to 3 for 0.3em for padding-bottom.
    #
    # The default patch settings are suitable for horizontal languages only.
    # Uncomment the following two replace_string lines for vertical languages only:
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x4A, Find: "left:", Replace: "top:\x20"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x6A, Find: "right: ", Replace: "bottom:"}
However, it does not seem to be working… (See screenshots for comparison between the default and two side-loaded fonts.)

Is there a way to fix the custom, side-loaded font being cut off issue with synchronised KePub on Kobo?

Thanks a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	publisher-default.png
Views:	192
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	184804   Click image for larger version

Name:	side-loaded-font-1.png
Views:	182
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	184805   Click image for larger version

Name:	side-loaded-font-2.png
Views:	178
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	184806  

Last edited by kch; 01-17-2021 at 08:33 PM.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cut off, font, kepub, vertical layout