Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 10-01-2016, 07:05 PM   #1
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Best dictionaries for koreader

I need link for best English to English dictionary that works with koreader.

Before I searched for one and as time goes, I see that it can't recognize many words. It is based on Websters from 1913, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, what do you use and that is pretty comprehensive?
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:41 PM   #2
MicaOlaAdams
MicaOlaAdams began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I find this "Collaborative International Dictionary of English" quite useful.

And there is a huge repository of dictionaries to be found here.
MicaOlaAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The 1913 dictionaries are often useful when reading works that use medieval terms, and somewhat for earlier terms. This comes in handy if you like epic fantasy.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:20 PM   #4
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicaOlaAdams View Post
Sadly, this is dictionary that I use. Many words I think it should know it doesn't (or it may be a problem with koreader?). Anyway, now I'm searching for some dictionary that would found many terms that this one doesn't.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:35 PM   #5
stevenam
stevenam began at the beginning.

Why not Oxford Advanced Learner 8th? Some simple Google search combining the "name" and "stardict" then you can find in elsewhere from Russia.
stevenam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2017, 03:28 PM   #6
emacsomancer
emacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O (1st edn), Xiaomi InkPalm 5
The Oxford English Dictionary 2nd Ed. (in two parts - make sure to get both and put both on) I find most excellent. Now it's not concise, but give lots of etymological information and quotations. But when I actually want to look up a word, I do myself often want that info.
emacsomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #7
Alan_S
Evangelist

I found it here: http://download.huzheng.org/bigdict/

I guess you mean this two giant files (99 and 121MB)?

And I have unzipped dict files previously, do I need to unzip these files also?

Last edited by Alan_S; 07-10-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:39 PM   #8
emacsomancer
emacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O (1st edn), Xiaomi InkPalm 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post
I found it here: http://download.huzheng.org/bigdict/

I guess you mean this two giant files (99 and 121MB)?

And I have unzipped dict files previously, do I need to unzip these files also?
Yes, unzip them, and place the (two) resulting folders in the appropriate place.

They may or may not be as useful to you as they are to me. When I run across a word I want to look up, I usually do myself want etymological information and quotations across a time period.
emacsomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #9
Alan_S
Evangelist

Thanks for confirmation. I'll use them.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:04 AM   #10
phlame64
phlame64 began at the beginning.

EN-IT dictionary

Hello there, is anybody here aware of a good English-Italian bilingual dictionary ready to use with koreader?
phlame64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:42 AM   #11
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Hello,
KOreader accepts both DICT and DICT.DZ files. Is there a speed increase if I uncompress the DICT.DZ file and use the DICT file? DICT.DZ is a few times smaller in size as compared to DICT, and it should make sense to be stored compressed if the parsing algorithm allows for smart local uncompressing. For overall performance which one is advisable to use?
Thank you.

Last edited by hfpop; 09-02-2018 at 07:55 AM.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:13 PM   #12
dugahol
dugahol began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Glo
Hi all, was hoping someone could help here.

I have downloaded the 2 oxford dict files above and extracted them, copied the 2 folders to the .adds/koreader/data/dict/ directory for Kobo but koreader still shows 0 dictionaries installed.

Inside the 2 folders is another .tar do i need to extract these also?

or is there something else i am missing to install the dictionaries?

Thanks for your help.

Ok solved it: I extracted the other .tar files then copied the folders across. All good now

Last edited by dugahol; 12-18-2018 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Found solution
dugahol is offline   Reply With Quote