Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-27-2020, 09:04 AM   #1
HiltonC
HiltonC began at the beginning.

Device: None
Conversion from Word to MOBI WITHOUT Cover

Hello, was hoping the expertise of the forum could please help me. I am about to publish my first eBook on Amazon. I am using Calibre to convert from MS-Word to MOBI for submission.

Amazon instructs not to include a cover in the file as they will add that themselves. However, when I convert from MS-Word, Calibre automatically takes my first page (the title page) and makes it the "cover". I am concerned Amazon will then overwrite this with my actual cover and I will lose the title page.

I have tried removing the cover from with EditMetadata, but each conversion Calibre still makes my title page the cover.

Apologies for what is likely a rookie question but would be extremely grateful for any advice anyone can offer. Have tried researching extensively but have come up with nothing. Thank you!!

Sincerely,
-Chris
HiltonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:51 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
I don't believe you are allowed to submit a (Calibre) Mobi. Try EPUB

But the solution may be simple:
create 1 page in the beginning: with the text
"Cover image goes here"
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
retiredbiker
Zealot
retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Ubuntu, Jutoh,Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I don't believe you are allowed to submit a (Calibre) Mobi. Try EPUB
That is true. And when converting to epub, on the epub output part of the conversion options, there is a box to check that says "No default cover". That might fix it; if not, just edit the epub and delete the cover file.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:38 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A quick and easy way to remove covers from EPUBs is use the Modify plugin ==> Index of plugins.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:47 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiltonC View Post
Hello, was hoping the expertise of the forum could please help me. I am about to publish my first eBook on Amazon. I am using Calibre to convert from MS-Word to MOBI for submission.

Amazon instructs not to include a cover in the file as they will add that themselves. However, when I convert from MS-Word, Calibre automatically takes my first page (the title page) and makes it the "cover". I am concerned Amazon will then overwrite this with my actual cover and I will lose the title page.

I have tried removing the cover from with EditMetadata, but each conversion Calibre still makes my title page the cover.

Apologies for what is likely a rookie question but would be extremely grateful for any advice anyone can offer. Have tried researching extensively but have come up with nothing. Thank you!!

Sincerely,
-Chris
Question, are you creating your eBook in Word using carefully crafted styles or are you do it the old fashioned way such as a returns for section breaks or selecting the text and applying the features you want to the text?

If you are not using styles, then you will have a very messy eBook (the code will be a mess). This is not good as the rule is to keep it simple and the messy code is far from simple.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert