Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
Nascarfan1972
Banned
Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Glo/Mini/Aura/Glo HD/Clara/Libra & Forma & Kindle PW
Why the size difference between kepub & epub.

I today loaded the jack higgins book Flight of Eagles into the latest version of calibre, so that I could add it to a series. This was originally a kepub which on my Glo shows as being 1.5mb big. When I had added the series info I noticed upon sideloading the book back onto my Glo, and went to delete the kepub version that the epub was only 634kb in size.

Does anyone know why the same book should be vastly different in size betweek the kepub and the epub?

Incidentally when I altered the series info using edit metadata and typing the series name into the series box it did not work when I saved, so if anyone could explain how to get calibre to save that information in a format that my kobo's (2 wireless, 1 mini & 1 glo) could use I would be grateful.

Thanks
Nascarfan1972
Nascarfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan1972 View Post
Incidentally when I altered the series info using edit metadata and typing the series name into the series box it did not work when I saved, so if anyone could explain how to get calibre to save that information in a format that my kobo's (2 wireless, 1 mini & 1 glo) could use I would be grateful.
Calibre only sends the series information to the device the second time it is connected, so after sending the books from Calibre you need to eject the device, let it process the books, then plug it back in again to get the series information.

Also I think your Kobos need firmware 2.2.x just to see the series information, and firmware 2.3.x to do anything useful with it.

Edit: Also check that the "set series information" box is ticked in the Kobo device plugin's customisation menu. (Calibre-->preferences-->plugins-->device interface pluguns-->Kobo Touch-->customisation)

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-28-2012 at 06:01 PM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you want a version that calibre can manage, you need to download the ePub version from the Kobo website; NOT the kepub version!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
And as no-one has answered the size issue...

I just opened an epub and the matching kepub and compared the sizes. All the files in the kepub were bigger. Especially the images. I have noticed that the cover images that Kobo are putting on the devices are much bigger than they were before. They are tending to put images sized at 1080*1920 for the full sized cover.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote