Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2012, 05:05 AM   #16
mapline
Enthusiast
mapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kobo Touch
Hi Tamming
Confused as in post 10 you said "I would be very, very surprised if the differences between kepub and epub last for long."
However in post 15 you said "The new backend is for Kobo's proprietary kepub format only."
Can you clarify please as I am interest to see if we can change to proper page numbering on epubs.
Thanks
Michael
mapline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #17
MisterMax
Enthusiast
MisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the rough

Device: 2 Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Nope. The slow page turns are ePUBS and the rendering engine has not changed. It is definitely fixed already in what we will ultimately receive. One of the things I noticed is that as development happens, some very basic things occasionally go wonky and have to be messed with again.

The new backend is for Kobo's proprietary kepub format only.
thanks for clarification, I'm happy to hear them
MisterMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #18
dsandrei
dsandrei doesn't litterdsandrei doesn't litterdsandrei doesn't litter

@taming Thank you for the explanations. I know how difficult it can be managing and integrating third party libraries. Good thing you reminded me about font tuning, that's another thing I like about kepubs as opposed to epubs on the kobo. I hope they'll get around to making the epubs look more like kepubs or at least offer a tool to properly convert epubs to kepubs. I think a lot of people would be very happy with that.

Now, that being said, on popular demand (I had an astonishing number of two (yes 2) requests ) I have uploaded my modified Modify Epub and you can get it at https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4Q...y0xYjJlSWV2Ukk if anyone is interested. As I said on the blog: this is a poor patch to the Modify epub plugin. First I had to pack BeautifulSoup inside the package as the one in calibre is an old version and second, the function that actually handles the updates is not very well written. I didn't have time to include any checks and it only works on direct children of the body tag. Please note that I don't plan on offering any updates to this so if someone could rewrite the code using lxml (I saw modify epub uses that) and maybe include it in the original plugin or create a stand alone plugin so that you can update modify epub separately I'd be happy to hear about it.
dsandrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:54 AM   #19
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapline View Post
Can you clarify please as I am interest to see if we can change to proper page numbering on epubs.
Thanks
Michael
Michael, I think you are in the minority in terms of your preference for page numbering. Most people seem to believe that the sequential numbering in ePUB books is better. Now, showing the name or number of the chapter at the bottom is missing in ePUB right now. I'm guessing most people want that.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #20
mapline
Enthusiast
mapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the end

Hi Taming.
No problems sequential numbering as long as it numbers each page. Not same number for more than one page. Just Kepub looks good.
Advert
Old 08-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #21
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi Taming.
No problems sequential numbering as long as it numbers each page. Not same number for more than one page. Just Kepub looks good.
Kepub books count page turns. So, for example, I was reading a book and on the bottom it said I was on page 18 of 19 in the chapter. I made the text really, really big and now it says I am on page 88 of 96.

The ePub files use a formula based on the number of characters that make up a page. I just did the same thing and big or small text, I was on page 28 of 225, but there were multiple page turns associated with the 28. If you go to the advance settings (wrench) you can turn on the margin page numbers to see where exactly Adobe considers a new "page" to begin.

People who want to tell someone what page to look at or who want to cite something in a more formal way, will find the ePUB way helpful as the page numbering will almost always be the same regardless of what font size or reader folks are using. This does not, btw, mean that it translates 1:1 with a particular printed version.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #22
mapline
Enthusiast

Hi Taming
Realize epub pages are set by Adobe prog and "different strokes for different folks". Kobo with Kepub seem to prefer chap and page numbers with ref to font size.
Hence interested in my request in post 16
"Confused as in post 10 you said "I would be very, very surprised if the differences between kepub and epub last for long."
However in post 15 you said "The new backend is for Kobo's proprietary kepub format only."
Can you clarify please"
Many thanks
Michael
Old 08-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #23
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
"Confused as in post 10 you said "I would be very, very surprised if the differences between kepub and epub last for long."
I was talking about things like the slowness of the ePUB page turning and the poor handling of sideloaded fonts, not features of the two different kinds of ePUBs. These are things that were fine tuned for kepubs, not so much for the adobe epubs.

Quote:
The new backend has to do with all of those things that are kepub only in terms of delivery (for now). For example, syncing between devices and apps, ability to handle ePUB3 files. This backend also does for kepub books what is done for adobe epubs using the adobe related shtuff--like handling the style sheet, drm related issues etc.

Last edited by taming; 08-01-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Tags
epub, kepub, kobo touch