Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #16
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
It is not a question of xml validity. The Kobo software expects that those tags are not nested.
So https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre-k...r/+bug/1205702 should hopefully cover this when I get it done then. Here's hoping

Quote:
Why don't you try what I proposed and judge by yourself. My proposal was meant exactly for the test file. Since I propose adding one closing tag at an early position and deleting one later, the balance is still preserved.
Only because it's more involved than that if the Kobo software expects the tags are not nested.

Quote:
I thought Davidfor might have reported this, cf. this post.
That may have been on the previous iteration of the algorithm for adding spans. I could never reproduce it with the current version, but maybe I just haven't tried a sufficiently complex book yet. Again, hoping that https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre-k...r/+bug/1205702 will deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
One more experiment I tried was to change all the span id's to be unique; this helped in the first test document, I could now jump to chapter 3 successfully, but did not help in the second test document.

(I took the brute force approach of changing kobo. to kobo.# where # was the digit on the html file's name).
Now that is interesting. I'd been working under the assumption that IDs only had to be unique within a file. I'll make a change first to force unique IDs across the whole book and see if it makes any difference for other people.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #17
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano.p View Post
Nevertheless, let's not forget that the issue reported in this thread can also be reproduced with "original kepub" coming from kobobooks.
Has that been reported to Kobo? I know that one bug report was filed, but I don't know if any bug was filed pointing to any Kobo-synced book that causes it.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm not an expert, but I will admit I thought all entries in the ePub should be within a tagged section.

For instance I see that the text within Section 2.2 of the second ePub is unadorned. I see
Code:
<h2 id="sigil_toc_id_2">Section 2.2</h2>

<div>
    Test of this section: are you able to jump here by tapping on the TOC? Test of this section: are you able to jump here by tapping on the TOC? Test of this section: are you able to jump here by tapping on the TOC? Test of this section: are you able to jump here by tapping on the TOC? Test of this section: are you able to jump here by tapping on the TOC? Test of this section: are you able to jump here by tapping on the TOC? Test of this section: are you able to jump here by tapping on the TOC? Test of this section: are you able to jump here by tapping on the TOC? Test of this section: are you able to jump here by tapping on the TOC? Test of this section: are you able to jump here by tapping on the TOC? Test of this section: are you able to jump here by tapping on the TOC? Test of this section: are you able to jump here by tapping on the TOC? &nbsp;<br/>
  </div>

<h3 id="sigil_toc_id_3">Subsection 2.2.1</h3>
Surely this explains the weirdness of the inserted spans.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #19
stefano.p
stefano.p has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stefano.p has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stefano.p has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
Has that been reported to Kobo? I know that one bug report was filed, but I don't know if any bug was filed pointing to any Kobo-synced book that causes it.
Are you referring to help@kobobooks.com ? Well, not yet. I just wanted to see whether anyone could replicate this issue prior to report to kobo.
stefano.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #20
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm not sure you will get any support from Kobo for issues with a home made kEpub; but if there are issues in a purchased kEpub then yes, do go through the eMail
http://www.kobo.com/help/koboglo/res...ith+my+book%3F
Quote:
Problems with books

Sometimes, the books we receive from publishers contain errors, like typos or missing sections. If you notice any problems with a book you bought from Kobo, please email us at help@kobobooks.com and provide as many details as possible.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #21
met67
Connoisseur
met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook Touch
Quote:
My suspicion is that my algorithm for deciding when to nest tags is too simplistic. Perhaps I need to always append...
I don't think I ever saw an original kepub from Kobo with nested spans... Maybe you don't have to nest at all.
met67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
That may have been on the previous iteration of the algorithm for adding spans. I could never reproduce it with the current version, but maybe I just haven't tried a sufficiently complex book yet. Again, hoping that https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre-k...r/+bug/1205702 will deal with it.
It is still happening with a book I put on my Glo yesterday with all the latest versions of everything. You need a chapter with two or more paragraphs and the first paragraph needs three or more sentences. Make a selection in the first paragraph that includes text from the first two sentences. After saving highlight, all the text in the second and later paragraphs are selected. The same thing happens if the selection includes part of the last sentence.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #23
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Sounds more and more like I need to go with not at all nesting spans. I've got a funny feeling that may not get done before I have a newborn on my hands but we never know
Old 09-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #24
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Ok, if I have understood well, the freezing is caused by nested span tags? It's anyway a bug, the renderer should not freeze. Can you update the bug report?
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I don't believe so. The nested spans problem was with highlighting. This seems to have been fixed in a recent version of the extended driver.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #26
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
Ok, if I have understood well, the freezing is caused by nested span tags? It's anyway a bug, the renderer should not freeze. Can you update the bug report?
Are you still experiencing freezing with books generated using the latest version of the driver? If so, please file a new bug with the ePub before converting and the KePub after converting that demonstrates the issue.

We aren't sure what exactly was causing the freezing. It's possible that it was the nested spans, but all I know for sure is that no one has reported freezing issues since the update that fixed the nested spans and allowed highlighting to work properly.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #27
stefano.p
stefano.p has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stefano.p has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stefano.p has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Are you still experiencing freezing with books generated using the latest version of the driver?
Yes, the issue is still there, even with latest version of the driver and Calibre.

Considering that I have the same problem with an original kepub coming from kobobooks, I believe this is a device issue that cannot be solved by a plugin.
Therefore, few weeks ago I sent an email to the kobo support with the link to this thread. I asked them to forward my email to the kobo developers. Later that week I received a response saying they were able to recreate the problem . In the meanwhile they suggested not to use embedded fonts.

According to their response, I guess there are some chances to have this issue solved by the kobo team. I'll keep my finger crossed.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #28
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Oh, I remember this one now! Yea, we're stuck waiting for an update from Kobo to fix the issue. Hopefully there'll be something released when the new devices go out later this month.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:40 AM   #29
stefano.p

It seems that this issue has been fixed now with the new firmware 2.10.0. I have successfully tested my Kobo Glo.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #30
MarcLaf
MarcLaf began at the beginning.

I'm having this issue with firmware 3.1.1. Made a post on launchpad here https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre-k...r/+bug/1258521 and I have a different thread here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...55#post2748455.
MarcLaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
embedded fonts, kepub, kobo glo freezes