Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2020, 09:18 AM   #31
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Amazon think some odd things about me - that I have children and run a business; neither is true. They don't get info from my kindles as they're always in airplane mode so they must be judging my puchase pattern.

I buy art materials, stationary, cat toys and books - mostly ebooks. To them this equals "has children, runs a business". They are so wrong. Frequently, I'm asked to make a child account, or a business one and wonder if doing so for a fictitious child/company would take a percentage off the total cost?

As yet I've not taken advantage of these offers.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 01:13 PM   #32
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Amazon think some odd things about me - that I have children and run a business; neither is true. They don't get info from my kindles as they're always in airplane mode so they must be judging my puchase pattern.

I buy art materials, stationary, cat toys and books - mostly ebooks. To them this equals "has children, runs a business". They are so wrong. Frequently, I'm asked to make a child account, or a business one and wonder if doing so for a fictitious child/company would take a percentage off the total cost?

As yet I've not taken advantage of these offers.
They ask this if you buy any "office" supplies like ink for a printer, stationary. I get the business one. Maybe they consider art supplies child items. The child account probably gets you nothing but I do believe there are some advantages to a business one.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 03:13 PM   #33
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I've got real things to fear and avoid in my daily life. Amazon "tracking" what I read and recording our requests for weather and traffic fall way down at the bottom of the list.
Exactly. Let's get some perspective in life.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:28 PM   #34
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I usually yawn my way through the big brother/paranoia articles but this shocked me.
And it is from a BBC news report called How Bezos built his data machine
The author used a freedom of information request for all that Amazon have on him...
"One spreadsheet actually triggers a warning message saying it is too big for my software to handle. It contains details of the 83,657 Kindle interactions I’ve had since 2018, including the exact time of day for each tap. An associated document divides up my reading sessions for each e-book, timing each to the millisecond."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/CLQYZENMBI/amazon-data
An excellent reason why I keep my wireless off on my ebook readers 98%
of the time and have not listed any info on what sites I am registered with such as Goodreads with Amazon.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:03 PM   #35
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
An excellent reason why I keep my wireless off on my ebook readers 98%
of the time and have not listed any info on what sites I am registered with such as Goodreads with Amazon.
Richwood--keeping wifi off on your reader 98% of the time won't prevent Amazon from knowing exactly what you're doing on your device. Anytime you directly connect to Amazon with your reader (to download purchases or firmware) your activities will be uploaded to Amazon as part of the process. The only way to prevent this from happening is to never connect to Amazon with your readers. When I first receive my Kindles, I connect to Amazon to register my devices, then they are placed permanently in airplane mode. I transfer all my books and new firmware (when I decide I want to upgrade) via USB.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:33 AM   #36
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Some of my older Kindles have been in Airplane mode for years. Does Amazon still track Kindle DX and Kindle Keyboard or Kindle NT use? Also do they track books sideloaded from non Amazon sources or those loaded to the Kindle cloud account via Kindle email transfer? Actually they can determine a lot of my reading habits via purchases made from them. Just not my Smashwords, Baen and public domain items. I really do not give a rats ass about their tracking as I am very good at ignoring 99.9% of all advertising.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:38 AM   #37
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I've read speculation on here about what Amazon tracks, but I'm not sure if anyone can really say for sure what information is uploaded each time your Kindle connects to "the mother ship".
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:52 AM   #38
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I've read speculation on here about what Amazon tracks, but I'm not sure if anyone can really say for sure what information is uploaded each time your Kindle connects to "the mother ship".
I'm guessing there are people here who are capable of figuring it out, if they were so inclined, if they haven't already (I thought I had read on here they were tracking reading information).

Last edited by John F; 03-09-2020 at 03:53 PM. Reason: changed and to if they
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:49 PM   #39
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Oh, pretty much everything is uploaded, IIRC? What they do with it afterwards is anybody's guess, but shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote