Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #1
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Firmware 5.12.2 Available

There is a new Kindle firmware version out there and a new download page to get updates.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-03-2019 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Sightly less scary link. -- NiLuJe
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:02 PM   #2
Rangepath
Rangepath began at the beginning.

Device: HP Ipaq 214, BeBook;Prs-600
This looks suspect and was blocked by my antivirus.
Rangepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:24 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
There is a new Kindle firmware version out there and a new download page to get updates.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...language=en_US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangepath View Post
This looks suspect and was blocked by my antivirus.
Looks like it's on Amazon's official download page. Sometimes anti-virus applications flag .bin files automatically.

Does anyone know how to find the release notes?

(I'll just go ahead and install it.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
I saw this first on the ebook reader blog and the release notes Nathan put on his blog post are not any different than the previous 5.12.1 release.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:53 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
I saw this first on the ebook reader blog and the release notes Nathan put on his blog post are not any different than the previous 5.12.1 release.
Not sure what this "read with a single click" is all about, but hopefully the update will allow me to read Send to Kindle docs on my Paperwhite 2 and Kindle Basic (8th Edition)...

Nope. Still getting an Application Error on the Paperwhite.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:11 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Updated with the correct version number, and a slightly less scary link .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:35 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
This is what it says:
—————————-
Version 5.12.2 — October 2019
Here’s what’s new:

* Read Now from the Store: In the coming weeks you will be able to read items you own with a single click from the detail or thank you page on the Store.

* Read Now for Kindle Unlimited/Prime Reading: In the coming weeks you will be able to read Kindle Unlimited/Prime Reading items with a single click from the recommendations listed at the end of your book.

* Performance improvements, bug fixes, and other general enhancements.
———————
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:52 PM   #8
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Can anybody definitely confirm that blocking autoupdate with the update.bin.tmp.partial folder does not work on 5.12.1?
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:48 AM   #9
KE4ZNR
KE4ZNR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Thanks for the heads up! I sideloaded the new FW to my 9th Gen Oasis and it installed flawlessly...

Happy Reading to all!
KE4ZNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Can anybody definitely confirm that blocking autoupdate with the update.bin.tmp.partial folder does not work on 5.12.1?
I don't think it has been confirmed either way.

knc1 has written that same version on different devices is different.

The only test I know of was done on an Oasis 3, whose 5.12 probably predates the 5.12 delivered to older devices. In that case the update blocker seems to work in the sense that no update happens but that power use skyrockets.

I have not read of any controlled update block tests for 5.12.x on anything else.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:07 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Manualy updated (side loaded the bin): Flawlessly
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:20 AM   #12
Schattenjager
Schattenjager began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 740
Hotfix installation does not work on PPW3 after update to 5.12.2. Also the command ;log mrpi does not work.
Not sure if jailbreak survived this update...
Schattenjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
This is what it says:
—————————-
Version 5.12.2 — October 2019
Here’s what’s new:

1 Read Now from the Store: In the coming weeks you will be able to read items you own with a single click from the detail or thank you page on the Store.

2 Read Now for Kindle Unlimited/Prime Reading: In the coming weeks you will be able to read Kindle Unlimited/Prime Reading items with a single click from the recommendations listed at the end of your book.

3 Performance improvements, bug fixes, and other general enhancements.
———————
So for most people item 3 is the important one, but they don't explain much!

Doesn't sound much different to last very recent update.

Are Amazon & Kobo now both using the totally "evil" so called Agile methodology where someone in marketing raises a change and then the real users get to test it?
Like how Win 10 updates and Firefox updates work.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #14
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
An odd update to me. When I click on the next book in a series when the book is done and it's KU, it will lead my to the loan/borrow page to download immediately. Same with store, so technically I could already read from these sources. I didn't mind one extra page to confirm I want to buy something. I don't need a new thank you page from the store when I buy or borrow another book, but it's not a big deal.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:17 PM   #15
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I don't think it has been confirmed either way.

knc1 has written that same version on different devices is different.

The only test I know of was done on an Oasis 3, whose 5.12 probably predates the 5.12 delivered to older devices. In that case the update blocker seems to work in the sense that no update happens but that power use skyrockets.

I have not read of any controlled update block tests for 5.12.x on anything else.
I still have the blocking directory on mine (I was the one who tested it before) so I'll see if I get updated or not. I'll also keep an eye on the battery life to see if the power use starts to go up again. If it does (or seems to), I'll take a look at the logs to see if the same thing is happening again.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote