Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
willysengewald
willysengewald began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Launch Kindlet from shell

I would like to launch a Kindlet from shell. I have set up a script to run with crontabs. Now in that script I would like to check for my Kindlet and, if it is not running, launch it. I've been searching the web for a shell command to do so with no luck.

My script currently writes information about running processes (ps -aux and ps -efl) into a log file but there is nothing about my Kindlet whatsoever even when it's running. It does not seem to be registered as a process.

What is the correct command for launching a Kindlet from shell?
How can I see if it's running?

I would be very thankful for any hint.
willysengewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Hmm...
I would expect that it would be found as a child of one of the Java processes running (child of cvm maybe?).

Since the Java system is **essentially** a single-thread process (in that it only runs a single user application at a time), it may not have its own PID assigned.

Launching a Kindlet? Would probably have to call some entry point in the Java system.

Perhaps ixtab (or anyone else) could answer in more detail.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Simple answer: you can't. Not on a K4.

As knc1 pointed out, on the K4, the entire UI lives inside a single jvm instance. A Kindlet doesn't get its own process, but it's simply another class that gets loaded and "brought to the front" - all of this is happening inside the single cvm process.

Note that on the K5, you can do something like /usr/bin/lipc-set-prop com.lab126.appmgrd start app://com.lab126.booklet.kindlet/mnt/us/documents/YourKindlet.azw2 - but not on the K4.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Simple answer: you can't. Not on a K4.

As knc1 pointed out, on the K4, the entire UI lives inside a single jvm instance. A Kindlet doesn't get its own process, but it's simply another class that gets loaded and "brought to the front" - all of this is happening inside the single cvm process.

Note that on the K5, you can do something like /usr/bin/lipc-set-prop com.lab126.appmgrd start app://com.lab126.booklet.kindlet/mnt/us/documents/YourKindlet.azw2 - but not on the K4.
Correction:
/usr/bin/lipc-set-prop com.lab126.appmgrd start file:///mnt/us/documents/YourKindlet.azw2
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
willysengewald
willysengewald began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Many thanks for the fast response. I had the suspicion this could be the problem. So, I assume there is nothing I can do.

Is there any way of running a java application (or anything else), that is not a kindlet from shell or on boot up?

I could maybe get what I need purely with a shell script, but it will need some trying and testing.
willysengewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by willysengewald View Post
Many thanks for the fast response. I had the suspicion this could be the problem. So, I assume there is nothing I can do.

Is there any way of running a java application (or anything else), that is not a kindlet from shell or on boot up?

I could maybe get what I need purely with a shell script, but it will need some trying and testing.
This might help:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=wake+sleep

Note that the K4 version does not have a lot of testing time on it.
If you have trouble with it on your K4, let us know (in that thread) and we will try to help with the problems.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 4 nt, kindlet, launch, shell