Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #61
Tonto Zerbino
Tonto Zerbino began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks Baf. I really appreciate what you have shared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
Didn't think about that. Do you think it would be useful?

Files are saved to extensions/leafpad/notes folder by default. You can navigate to another directory in file chooser. Double click "../" to go one level higher.

Just select the file in file chooser and it will open as any other text file. However remember that Kindle system files are read-only.
Yes, I think landscape mode could be useful for those of us with fat fingers...

And I guess I knew *where" the files were saved by default and how to find them, but I would also throw in a vote for an option to save them to the home screen and open/edit them from there- though this added functionality may be too complicated to implement.

As for my final question about editing .sh files, I am a noob, but interested in learning, and not sure where to begin. I know, Google is my friend, but I hoped one of the kind folks here could point me in the right direction...

Thanks again!
Tonto Zerbino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #62
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonto Zerbino View Post
And I guess I knew *where" the files were saved by default and how to find them, but I would also throw in a vote for an option to save them to the home screen and open/edit them from there- though this added functionality may be too complicated to implement.
displaying them on home screen to open it from there is easy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
next step would be to let Kindle show *.txt files in home screen...
this part is easy, just change the home dir on the sh file: leafpad/bin/leafpad.sh

Quote:
As for my final question about editing .sh files, I am a noob, but interested in learning, and not sure where to begin. I know, Google is my friend, but I hoped one of the kind folks here could point me in the right direction...
on windows install a linux friendly text editor like "Programmer's Notepad" or "notepad++" and open .sh files with it. (ie right click on the file and choose the app to open with it)
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #63
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:

Thanks again!
http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

Which is for the full featured command processor "BASH".
The Kindles run a slightly different (feature limited) version called "ASH" but the above manual is where to start.

Along with a "Linux Live CD" (runs in memory, does not touch your Windows files), see:
http://www.livecdlist.com/operating-system/linux
If being faced with a choice among 300 of them is intimidating, I'll make it simpler:

Download and burn to CD this one:
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
It is intended for the "new to linux" crowd and is extremely easy to setup. (Plus, a lot of us here can answer your questions about it, plus it will also run ASH.)

Any questions that release isn't a "real" Linux?
It is, its a specialized distribution of the Debian repositories.
Code:
root@Microknoppix:~# uptime
 14:32:34 up 245 days, 23:04,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
Which is my gateway / router machine (a EeePC 701 with the screen off and lid closed).

Last edited by knc1; 11-24-2012 at 09:37 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #64
centhena
Enthusiast
centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite
Is this usable on Paperwhite as well?
centhena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #65
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by centhena View Post
It runs on PW, loads the settings out of the leafpadrc, but does not get convinced to change the resolution to higher than 600 x 525.

Any workaround for that?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 04:27 AM   #66
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
leafpad 0.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by centhena View Post
I put new leafpad version on my server. Window size is calculated according to screen size. I hope it will work on Paperwhite, but I can't test it.
Any feedback is welcome.
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #67
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Window size is calculated according to screen size. I hope it will work on Paperwhite, but I can't test it.
Any feedback is welcome.
That looks much better. Properly sized now, no other windows showing through. (Pulling down the file menu is still difficult, probably because if you don't aim carefully the Kindle considers it a top-left press and doesn't send the press to leafpad at all... but that's not really something you can fix.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #68
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I put new leafpad version on my server. Window size is calculated according to screen size. I hope it will work on Paperwhite, but I can't test it.
Any feedback is welcome.
Yes this is very nice. On PW the one thing that is still difficult is the file open/save window. On the PW it does not properly hide the keyboard, so the bottom part with the buttons is not visible. Clicking on the top part, and using the back button will get rid of the keyboard, but then leafpad loses focus after hitting the ok button.

Imo it would be much better if the file open/close not to use up the full screen, but only the same space that leafpad takes up with the editor.

Also file->quit first closed the keyboard, the top part of leafpad still active. Needs to do another file->quit do exit out completely.

Edit: And what NullNix said about the menu. Maybe either put the menu on the bottom, or let there be on option to increase the font-size of the text in the menu - so that on PW it is easier to reach.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 02-11-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #69
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
@DuckieTigger and NullNix
Thanks for your responses!
Small buttons are problem in all gtk apps on Kindle. I will think about some workaround.
In "File open" dialog I think you don't need the buttons at the bottom. Just click on the file name and press return on the keyboard. You may also double click on it, but it is not comfortable.
I don't have problems with quitting Leafpad. Either it is related to Paperwhite only or you opened two instances of the editor.
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #70
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I don't have problems with quitting Leafpad. Either it is related to Paperwhite only or you opened two instances of the editor.
I have noticed on my Paperwhite that the capacitive touch screen can be overly sensitive at times.
Just bringing a shaky finger close (not touching) will sometimes send multiple signals.

The above is actually not an application level problem - it is at the driver configuration level.
The "tuning" parameters for the touch screen driver need to be found and a means to adjust them worked out.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #71
DuckieTigger
Wizard

@baf:It is not the size so much, as is the position right underneath the bezel. The higher resolution of the PW does not help in that respect either. That is why I thought moving the menu to the bottom would be a workaround. As far as the closing not working - it is sporadic - most of the time it works correctly the first time. Might have something to do with what knc1 said about the touch screen beeing a bit too sensitive.

For the file open. Sure, you don't need to see it all, but then you wont be able to see the bottom part where there could be still files.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #72
yahwing
Enthusiast
yahwing began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Any feedback is welcome.
I can't open the website: http://www.fabiszewski.net/kindle-notepad/ .
Can anybody put the latest version of leafpad here as attachment, thank you!
yahwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #73
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Yeah. the site is down - I noticed that.

Will go necro up a copy

Last edited by twobob; 04-10-2013 at 12:05 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #74
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahwing View Post
I can't open the website: http://www.fabiszewski.net/kindle-notepad/ .
Can anybody put the latest version of leafpad here as attachment, thank you!
here :
Attached Files
File Type: zip kterm-0.6.zip (468.2 KB, 361 views)
File Type: zip leafpad-0.5.zip (36.0 KB, 342 views)
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #75
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
here :
Heh. Beat me to draw.

twobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
launcher add-ons