Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-08-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
DrJoe
DrJoe began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Can you install Calibre Portable onto Android Device?

So I know Calibre portable won't run on Android.

What I'd like to know, is can I install Calibre Portable onto the SD card on my android tablet, connect my tablet to a PC, and then run Calibre Portable on the PC (from the SD card on the tablet)?

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,

Joe
DrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I don't see why not. If you device looks like a (flash) drive to the PC
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:38 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'd be a tad concerned about calibre detecting the USB connected device as an Android device, and the confusion that might ensue doing a send to device or similar function.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You might need to add the device to Preferences->Sharing->Ignore devices.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:03 PM   #5
DrJoe

Thanks for the replies.

I use Calibre to manage my library, but use my Android tablet for reading.

So my process is to download books on my tablet, copy to a UCB C / USB 3.0 flash drive, move over to my laptop, import into my Calibre library which is on an external hard drive, export the epub's to a folder on the flash drive drive, then copy back to the book directory on my tablet. *whew*. But everything is well organized in subfolders by author. The laptop is from work, so I don't copy anything locally to it.

I had tried keeping the Calibre library on the flash drive, but suffered regular corruption of files swapping the flash drive between the tablet and the pc. At this point I think it was related to the unmounting algorithm used by ES File Explorer, which I no longer use. Solid Explorer uses the system manager to unmount flash drives, and the problem went away.

So I was thinking of going back to the flash drive. Then I thought, maybe I should cut out the flash drive middle-man. Which brought up the question of running Calibre Portable from the tablet.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Joe
Old 10-08-2019, 11:20 PM   #6
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
And if you use an android program to have the library synchronized. Example caliber companion or Calibrebox from the play store
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:23 AM   #7
DrJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
And if you use an android program to have the library synchronized. Example caliber companion or Calibrebox from the play store
So my tablet is wifi only, and my internet is slow & not as reliable as I'd like (public wifi at an apartment complex), and my library is large, and would take days to upload. And then, I guess I'm older and never really gotten comfortable with cloud storage. I don't trust big tech, both from a privacy standpoint, for data retention and also from an ownership standpoint. Local storage is mine. Cloud, I'm not so sure. Maybe because I didn't grow up with cloud storage.

Thanks again,

Joe
Old 10-09-2019, 02:55 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe View Post
So my tablet is wifi only, and my internet is slow & not as reliable as I'd like (public wifi at an apartment complex), and my library is large, and would take days to upload. And then, I guess I'm older and never really gotten comfortable with cloud storage. I don't trust big tech, both from a privacy standpoint, for data retention and also from an ownership standpoint. Local storage is mine. Cloud, I'm not so sure. Maybe because I didn't grow up with cloud storage.

Thanks again,

Joe
No need for clouds, I've used JRT's Folder Synch to synch data from Windows (it does MacOS too) to Android phones/tablets, Resilio is another possibility.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:59 PM   #9
Horus68
Zealot
Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I use FolderSync for Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oldersync.lite

JRT's Folder Synch google app is missing from the store (email sent to author)
http://www.jrtstudio.com/cheetah-syn...-wireless-sync

Update: Quote from the JRT devs:
Quote:
We actually ended support for our Folder Sync app a while back. That is why the page is no longer available in Google Play Store.

Last edited by Horus68; 10-10-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Horus68 is offline   Reply With Quote