Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-16-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
DarkTrick
Enthusiast
DarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kindle Touch
Print from PC to Kindle

Hi,

I customized a java printserver to run on the kindle and print text documents.

shown here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tupMrGrcgEk

I'm using a Kindle Touch, but I'm sure it would run on other ones as well.

The server can't end gracefully at the moment. So there is a 'please restart' message shown.
The goal is to even support image-prints and an airprint-server

In case you want to try it yourself, you can download the attached kindlet. It should run with the usual developer keystore provided here.
The Printer on the computer should be
- Text printer
- LPR
- Queue Name: "RAW"

Would be nice to get some feedback

regards
Attached Files
File Type: azw2 lpd_printer2kindle.azw2 (521.1 KB, 211 views)
File Type: zip print2kindle_source.zip (844.6 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by DarkTrick; 07-20-2015 at 02:15 PM.
DarkTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:50 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Do you make the source available or did you setup a public repository?

This site discourages closed source software, Amazon provides us with enough of that.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:22 PM   #3
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
This is an unusual idea. What do you envision this used for? I have a Touch, and might try it, but can't think of any reason?
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:44 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
This is an unusual idea.
What do you envision this used for?
I have a Touch, and might try it, but can't think of any reason?
Thinking of a reason is the hard part of this suggestion.
Thinking of a reason that couldn't be accomplished with a simple file transfer is even harder.

- - - - -

Question:
What use-case would require that the originating device **not** create a file?

Ans:
Both devices (the Kindle's flash and the other device's something) using semipermanent memory.
Say, maybe flash or SSD drives.
PLUS:
The Kindle is physically secure and the other device is not physically secure.

Then you would not want to write (or print spool) the output of a program to the storage memory of the un-secure device.

Because it could be physically stolen, the memory chip(s) removed, peeled, the micro-controller hacked, and the erase blocks not in use read.
(A really big technical challenge, but a serious concern among manufacturers and users of big SSD drives.)

Hmm...
Still pretty far out -
And I still don't see why this use-case could not be answered by running a TrueCrypt (or the ms equivalent) storage partition on the originating device, and writing a file to it for later transfer to the Kindle.

- - - - -

No one ever asked for a secure storage facility on their Kindle that I can recall.
So we (twobob and I) never did try creating a LUKS partition (or a file-as-a-device) on the Kindle.
(We did discuss it, as part of a non-public project.)
But I am pretty sure that the kernel version(s) used in any of the touch screen Kindles is new enough to support it.

- - - - -

Perhaps this suggestion was just to answer the technical challange and does not have a (practical) use-case.

Last edited by knc1; 07-20-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #5
DarkTrick
Enthusiast
DarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

use case

@knc1:
Actually I did not expect anyone would be interested in the source. I will add it to my first post.

@Use case
My first one was in my university, when I often did not have the cable or my pc with me. Alot of the computers had a USB-lock.
Also, I wanted to transfer files directly from my ipad to my kindle.
Another very big one was, that I want to easily read long texts on my kindle without the filetransfer-stuff. I want to open wikipedia, mark, what I want to read and read exactly that (without getting processed by amazon first).
So I thought of an universal interface. One, that almost every device supports. It turns out to be the printer.
So the goal could be to put various kinds of printer-encodings on the kindle, so you could use various kinds of generic printer drivers or even AirPrint

cheers
Old 07-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Well, for those use-cases where you want to immediately see the output . . . .
The current system makes a person handle the Kindle to select the just printed document.

- - - - -

Instead, why not add a HPGL driver to your javaprinter, dig around here in the graphics posts about how to front a selected window, then "print" directly to the screen.

- - - - -

From you comments, I get the impression that you are accessing the Kindle over Wifi.
That is, the mention of not having a USB cable or having all of the USB ports locked on the PC that is in use.

- - - - -

In other words ...
The Kindle as a "network attached printer, that understands HPGL"

Now that might well be useful to the people who are using Kindles as an "annunciator type" display device (like displaying weather conditions).
Old 07-20-2015, 08:42 PM   #7
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrick View Post
@Use case
I want to open wikipedia, mark, what I want to read and read exactly that (without getting processed by amazon first).
I like that part - maybe I'll give it a try.

Also I like the whole concept of hacking to make the device do what you want, so kudos to you for doing it! Thank you.

There haven't been many projects on here since Amazon closed all the holes on the newer devices....
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:57 PM   #8
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Sometimes an idea « let's make the Kindle a printer » seemingly pointless, can deceptively be used in a new, simple and surprising way. I call these gems.

Respect @DarkTrick

Too bad my K3 v3.4 software is too old to try further :
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-19024 on a K3.4.png
Views:	353
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	140441

... Nah no point to call Cutomer Service.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:27 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Do you mean that is 3.4.2 ?
There have been two revisions to 3.4 since it was released, 3.4.2 is current.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #10
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Ah really! I am on just on v3.4.1. I'll check for a 3.4.2 upgrade and update my post.

EDIT: 22h
I just manually upgraded (interesting that I never received an OTA update) to 3.4.2

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-29160.gif
Views:	287
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	140446

Alas same message : it is too old.

Last edited by PoP; 07-21-2015 at 10:02 PM. Reason: updated firmware and rechecked
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:04 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

It was just a guess.
Sometimes, I guess wrong.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:10 PM   #12
DarkTrick
Enthusiast

wow! thank you, guys for even trying it . First project ever, that went public

@older version
Is there a chance of making it run even on older devices like PoP's?
What would be necessary for that?

@knc1
Thanks for the idea! It seems, that this is exaclty, what I was looking for! The text-based printing at the moment is not, what I intendet to be the last.
Direct display or document saving is both possible in regards to my concept.
I just got really busy, so it might take me a while to implement, but I definitly go after that!

@kindle connection
In my home I usually use USB-wifi. But for real life, you don't want to plug your kindle in all the time

Quote:
In other words ...
The Kindle as a "network attached printer, that understands HPGL"
Old 07-24-2015, 04:43 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@DarkTrick: I'm guessing it's the same old KDK1 vs. KDK2 thingy. Take a look at KUAL's sources to see how we're handling that. (Basically, the annoying part will be the GUI).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch