Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-18-2015, 02:08 PM   #31
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
One Dollar Adventures

The following tales are just $0.99 at Kobo (and perhaps other retailers).

All are EPUB2 (DRM-Free)! Download! Back-up! Use on whichever device you choose!

+ + + + +

The Order of the Air Omnibus by Melissa Scott, Jo Graham - This OMNIBUS edition contains the first three novels in THE ORDER OF THE AIR - Lost Things, Steel Blues & Silver Bullet.

LOST THINGS: In 1929 archeologists began draining Lake Nemi in search of the mysterious ships that have been glimpsed beneath its waters since the reign of Claudius. What they awakened had been drowned for two thousand years. For a very good reason.

STEEL BLUES: In this sequel to Lost Things, when the Gilchrist Aviation team tries to win the money to keep the business going by placing first in a coast-to-coast air race, things get complicated!

SILVER BULLET: Mad Science and Magic! A series of mysterious plane crashes in the Rocky Mountains in the midst of a Depression winter call Air Corps reservists Mitch Sorley and Lewis Segura out to fly search and rescue, but it's more than just a simple navigational hazard.

https://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/eb...he-air-omnibus

+ + + + +

Rick Frost & the Alaskan Adventure by Todd Bush - It was supposed to be an adventure in the wilds of Alaska, a test of manhood for all the boys signed up on the school trip. But the whole prepackaged thing was nothing more than a long hike through some pretty trees. That is until Rick Frost and his friend Ben Nakni see a plane about to crash into the forest. A real adventure has just found them.

https://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/eb...skan-adventure

+ + + + +

Journey to the Heart of Luna by Andy Frankham-Allen - The year is 1889, and mankind is out among the stars. For almost three decades man has explored the Inner Planets, but still they seem to be very uninterested in what’s on their doorstep. Namely, the Earth’s moon Luna!

https://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/eb...eart-of-luna-1
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:03 PM   #32
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
The following tales are just $0.99 at Kobo (and perhaps other retailers).

All are EPUB2 (DRM-Free)! Download! Back-up! Use on whichever device you choose!

+ + + + +

The Order of the Air Omnibus by Melissa Scott, Jo Graham - This OMNIBUS edition contains the first three novels in THE ORDER OF THE AIR - Lost Things, Steel Blues & Silver Bullet.
£0.99 at Amazon UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Order-Air-Om...dp/B00T85XL1S/

CDN$ 1.27

http://www.amazon.ca/Order-Air-Omnib...dp/B00T85XL1S/

So try

http://www.amazon.com/Order-Air-Omni...dp/B00T85XL1S/
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2015, 12:52 AM   #33
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
X-link to the SF/Fantasy megathread:

Free (and DRM-free) from the authors via KDP Select @ Amazon:
  • Torch Song by Shelley Singer, a YA LGBT sci-fi dystopian action adventure thriller originally out from Five Star in 2007.
  • The Ptorrigan Lode by Kathryn Lance, a self-pub sequel to her 1985 Warner Questar sci-fi space colony novel "Pandora's Genes".
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:12 AM   #34
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Humble Post-Apocalyptic Bundle

Hi folks,

is this bundle worth spending 15$ on?

https://www.humblebundle.com/books (currently: humble post-apocalyptic bundle)

Thanks for taking a look and sharing your experience with any of these books. I'm trying to decide whether to go for simply a low amount (to get the Wool audiobook), more than average (for the Zelazny), or the full monty.
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:50 AM   #35
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryhte View Post
Hi folks,

Thanks for taking a look and sharing your experience with any of these books. I'm trying to decide whether to go for simply a low amount (to get the Wool audiobook), more than average (for the Zelazny), or the full monty.

"Absolutely NOT! It's a horrible price!"

"Of course it is, if you like the authors involved or wish to discover new writers!"

Ok, there you go, my man: Take your pick.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #36
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryhte View Post
Hi folks,

No ... because I had the upper tier items already.

I did, though, get it at the next lowest level (not for Wool, already read it, but for some others at that tier). Now, to figure out whether it is worth trying to download and install the game...
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:04 AM   #37
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(DRM) Free Friday!

So, as a NOOK refugee I'm still in the habit of checking the Barnes & Noble 'Free Friday' promo. Today's offer is: "Shopping for a Billionaire" by Julia Kent.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/shop...=9781498994576

Now, romance is not my thing, but since I've been shopping Kobo, I was curious to see if they would match the offer. Sure enough:

https://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/eb...-billionaire-1

The Kobo product specifies 'Download options: EPUB2 (DRM-Free).' Which means I could download this book and side-load it to read on my NOOK.

But is the reverse true? If I understand correctly, Barnes & Noble no longer allows even DRM-free NOOK books to be downloaded. That's why I'm buying from Kobo these days.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:50 PM   #38
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
So, as a NOOK refugee I'm still in the habit of checking the Barnes & Noble 'Free Friday' promo. Today's offer is: "Shopping for a Billionaire" by Julia Kent.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/shop...=9781498994576

Now, romance is not my thing, but since I've been shopping Kobo, I was curious to see if they would match the offer. Sure enough:

https://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/eb...-billionaire-1

The Kobo product specifies 'Download options: EPUB2 (DRM-Free).' Which means I could download this book and side-load it to read on my NOOK.

But is the reverse true? If I understand correctly, Barnes & Noble no longer allows even DRM-free NOOK books to be downloaded. That's why I'm buying from Kobo these days.
I believe it's only part 1 of the book, isn't it? you have to buy a bundle of all three parts or parts 2&3 separately to read the entire book.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:49 PM   #39
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

X-link to the Historical Fiction & Mystery megathreads:

Free (and DRM-free) via KDP Select @ Amazon:
  • Women of Courage by Tim Vicary, a 3-in-1 omnibus of his historical drama novels set in England and Ireland in the 1680s and early 20th century, respectively.
  • Cold Fear by Rick Mofina, a contemporary mystery/crime thriller set in San Francisco, which was an Arthur Ellis Award-finalist.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:21 PM   #40
ATDrake
Wizzard

Well, now that it's Kobo contest season again, I thought I'd re-mention some DRM-free @ Kobo backlist mystery titles that have a few nth-in-series introductory freebies for which you can follow up with couponable sequels.

These are all out from the BooksBNimble author's republishing consortium imprint managed by Edgar Award-winner Julie Smith (SYKM, Wikipedia), which mainly publishes backlist mystery/crime thrillers, although they do have a few newly-written books and stuff from other genres.
  • The Kindness of Strangers by Julie Smith, 6th in her Edgar Award-winning Skip Langdon series of humorous police procedurals set in New Orleans, originally out from Fawcett in 1996.
  • Trick Question by Edgar-nominee Tony Dunbar (SYKM), 3rd in his Tubby Dubonnet series of humorous mysteries starring a foodie lawyer, also set in New Orleans, originally out from Putnam in 1996.
  • Shelter from the Storm, 4th in the Tubby Dubonnet series, originally out from Putnam in 1997.
More in these and other series by the same authors can be had mostly DRM-free (please remember to check the download info @ Kobo before purchase, since a few titles in the BBN catalogue are still DRM-ed, apparently as a result of having been uploaded that way before they realized that DRM-free was the way to go and it being a hassle to change stuff over due to authors losing their reviews and sales rankings etc.) and as I mentioned, couponable @ Kobo.

Here's some publisher auto-search linkage for the coupon-eligible portion of the BBN catalogue @ Kobo, should anything happen to strike your fancy.

Prices start at 99 cents and go to a fairly reasonable-looking $2.99-$3.99 range for mostly previously-published titles (some of these have been prior KDP Select freebies in the past, though, so you might want to check your archives, but they're now no longer exclusive at Amazon, should you wish to pick up ePub copies pour encourager les autres multi-store re-offerings).
Old 03-21-2015, 03:43 PM   #41
ATDrake
Wizzard

X-link to the SF/Fantasy megathread for a DRM-free deal on Role-Playing Game manuals/sourcebooks/campaign books (DRM-free PDF available worldwide) for two popular fantasy series being offered as bundles via Bundle of Holding (also added to your DriveThruRPG account):
  • Bundle of Laundry based on Charles Stross' Hugo Award-winning The Laundry Files series of Lovecraftian bureaucracy urban fantasy spy thriller spoofs $9 to $25 for 2 or 7 titles based on which tier you pick, good until March 24th.
  • The Dying Earth based on the late Jack Vance's highly influential eponymous post-apocalyptic fantasy series, $9 to $18 for 4 or 10 titles depending on which tier you pick, good until March 31st.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:24 AM   #42
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Historical Fiction!

Happy Monday people! Anyone in the mood for some freebie historical fiction? That is, both FREE and DRM-free! There's quite a variety for you today. How about....

+ + + + +

Battle Scars: A Collection of Short Stories Volume I

A collection of ten short stories of heroism and tragedy set during the long years of war between 1793-1815.

https://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/eb...ories-volume-i

+ + + + +

The Privateersman - A Poor Man at the Gate Series, #1, by Andrew Wareham

Dorset lad Tom Andrews escapes the hangman’s noose only to find himself shanghaied onto a Caribbean-bound privateering ship, before he and crewmate Joseph, flee to America carrying illicit booty. They prosper in the vile corruptness of New York - a town destined to be on the losing side in the Revolutionary War. Betrayed and forced to return to England, they seek riches in the early industrial boom.

https://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/eb...sUS6nnZjRsukhA

+ + + + +

The Sekhmet Bed, The She-King: Book One by Libbie Hawker, L. M. Ironside

The second daughter of the Pharaoh, Ahmose has always dreamed of a quiet life as a priestess, serving Egypt's gods, ministering to the people of the Two Lands. But when the Pharaoh dies without an heir, she is given instead as Great Royal Wife to the new king – a soldier of common birth. For Ahmose is god-chosen, gifted with the ability to read dreams, and it is her connection to the gods which ensures the new Pharaoh his right to rule.

https://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/eb...GESpoY8XG-ReRw

+ + + + +

The Playmakers by Graeme Johnstone

It is the longest-running deception in the English language and the most successful. Four hundred years of duping the world. A tale of deceit, corruption, love, passion. Of murder, fixing and bribery, centred on the writing of some of the greatest works known. A tale of two remarkable men, the frenzied times they lived in, and the fixated people that surrounded them. William Shakespeare. Christopher Marlowe. One is the real playwright. The other is the stooge. Which is which?

https://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/eb...e-playmakers-3

+ + + + +

Borderland by Greg Hunt

Before the Civil War divided the land, the land divided a proud family. Will Hartman's sons and daughters were a fierce and determined American family, with a legacy of honor and a bold dream to build new lives on the Missouri frontier. But long before America declared itself at war over the issue of slavery, Kansas and Missouri were already in pitched battle across their shared border. John Brown's bloody raids into Missouri were answered with retaliatory strikes at the homes of the abolitionists.

https://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/borderland-14
Old 03-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #43
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Ever tried Dieselpunk?

One of the reasons I love ereading so much is that it makes it easy to find and sample new genres that I would never have encountered as dead-tree publications.

Today we have some story collections for you:

+ + + + +

Dieselpunk ePulp Showcase - Includes stories by John Picha, Grant Gardiner, Bard Constantine, and Jack Philpott.

This action-packed ePulp Anthology unleashes four new noir tales inspired by the pulp magazines of the 1930s and 1940s. Blazing brawls and gritty adventure awaits dieselpunks, nostalgians, die hard or pulp-curious fans. Hope you can take a punch, because these two-fisted tales hit hard!

https://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/eb...epulp-showcase

+ + + + +

Dieselpunk ePulp Showcase 2 by John Picha, Grant Gardiner, and Jack Philpott

This sci-fi smorgasbord serves up 9 retro tales inspired by the pulp magazines of the 1920s - 1940s. It drops you into the deco chiseled cities of alternate Americana, airlifts you to exotic locales, then rockets you to the farthest reaches of yesterday’s tomorrows!

https://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/eb...p-showcase-2-1

+ + + + +

ePulp Sampler Volume 1 by John Picha, Matthew J Davies, and N.R. Grabe

Get ready to explore strange worlds, visit forgotten pasts, and delve into parallel histories. Prepare to encounter an eclectic mix of heroes walking the line between life and death. Duck as Rurik's blade carves demons in the Celtic landscape of dark fantasy. Witness the Dead Reckoner, a battlefield ghost looking for absolution in a weird war tale. Face Nazi occupation of USA with Wild Marjoram in an alternate history. Race through the Great Depression on an errand of mercy with Pandora Driver, a noir superheroine. Fly across the universe with the Skyracos in a retro sci-fi adventure.

https://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/eb...-sampler-vol-1

+ + + + +

And all this gritty goodness is presented for FREE in beautiful DRM-Free EPUB2!
Old 03-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #44
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
"Absolutely NOT! It's a horrible price!"

"Of course it is, if you like the authors involved or wish to discover new writers!"

Ok, there you go, my man: Take your pick.
Why, thanks!

I was hoping for soms recommendations though. Anyway I'll see for myself, went for the whole package
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:36 AM   #45
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Sympathy for the Devil

Today we have a trio of fantastic tales with unusual choices for protagonist.

As usual, these are both FREE and DRM-free!

+ + + + +

Troll Brother by P. Edward Auman

Robert and Richard meet a Mountain Troll in the hills above their home. Armed with the troll queen's own machinations to infiltrate and learn whether the human race of the 21st century is ready to interact with faerie folk again after centuries apart, the little troll becomes an adopted brother to the Johansson family, and discovers more than he expected about what it is to be human. In the end, when it is time to return Kile to his troll family and to collect the real Little Ricky, they face a serious threat from the goblins of the high peaks of the Rockies.

https://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/troll-brother

+ + + + +

Twisted Fate (Orc Destiny I) by Jeremy Laszlo

Faced with the rite of passage that makes him an adult, Gnak seeks out a suitable sacrifice to the gods of his people. Deciding to capture a human, he finds himself injured and at the mercy of the very prisoner he sought to put to death.

Against all he has known, and all he once believed, Gnak is forced to defy those of his kind with hope to change their ways and lead them to a better future.

https://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/eb...-orc-destiny-i

+ + + + +

The Devil's Concubine, The Devil of Ponong, #1 by Jill Braden

QuiTai, ruthless concubine of Levapur’s mysterious crime lord, the Devil, receives an unexpected invitation to cocktails with disgraced Thampurian Kyam Zul. She doesn’t trust Kyam enough to drink anything he pours, and won’t help him no matter how hard he begs – or threatens. But when QuiTai’s ex-lover is murdered, Kyam is the only one who knows the name of the killer, and he won’t tell QuiTai unless she helps him first.

The torpid back alleyways of Levapur’s tropical colony hide more than lovers. There are things with claws, beings with venomous fangs, and spies lurking in the jungle.

Most of them want to keep their secrets.

One wants QuiTai dead.

https://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/eb...-s-concubine-3

Tags
drm-free ebook