Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-08-2021, 08:26 AM   #1
aniwagi
aniwagi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Smile Ebooks and fantasy fiction

Hi everyone! I am a student on the MA Publishing course at London College of Communication, and I'm gathering thoughts and opinions on the potential of enhanced ebooks in fantasy fiction. With so many book lovers on this subreddit, I felt this could be a great place to gather more data.

The survey is anonymous and your answers will only be used as part of academic research for a dissertation. There are 24 questions divided into three sections and it should hopefully take ten interesting minutes to complete. If you are 16 and over, please feel free to participate through this link - https://www.surveylegend.com/s/3l21

Project details, consent info and contact details are on the first page of the survey. Once you've finished, you're welcome to share your thoughts here. A big thank you to everyone who completes the survey and helps my research!
aniwagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:24 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Whose idea was that weird age range choice, given that ebook preferrers skew older? I've put approximate percentage of the Australian population in parentheses

Under 20 (24%)
20-25 (7%)
25-34 (15%)
35-44 (13.5%)
45-54 (12.5%)
55 and over (28%).

Last edited by meeera; 10-08-2021 at 09:29 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2021, 09:52 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Personally, I thought that the choices for "When reading fantasy, have you ever felt dissatisfied with any of the following?" I can't believe that anyone didn't select all of the options except "None of the above". But, someone did. They either are reading a lot better books than I am, or they have a lot lower standards than I have.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 02:27 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I found it odd that in question 10, it specified that illustrations were not considered an enhanced feature and 3 of the 8 option choices for enhanced features were for illustrations.

As for the when reading fantasy choices, I tend to agree with @davidfor that there are very few ebooks I've read that did not require some tweaking. Perhaps I find it hard to be happy with many of the ebook authors/publishers lack of knowledge of the basics of typography.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 04:45 AM   #5
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
My opinion is that I wouldn't touch enhanced anything with a barge pole. To me it sounds like a walled garden - you need a specific device or app to access it, which reminds me of the multimedia CD-ROMs that were around when CD drives first came in - most of which are now only useable as coasters because they are now unplayable because of format drift or outdated playback software. (Ours mostly went to landfill although I should have kept them as cat and bird scarers...)

No, give me the vanilla text, with or without illustrations, that I keep in Calibre, and I don't need to worry about whether I can read it on a new device because it is freely convertible.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2021, 06:23 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
You may have "content blockers" on your browser. In this case, please reload the page without content blockers.

Otherwise, your internet connection may be too slow right now.
No, I have not. But the page is full of google spyware/trackers and uses privacy-unfriendly google APIs. I block malware and trackers.
Someone knows nothing about creating privacy-friendly anonymous surveys.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:21 AM   #7
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
No, I have not. But the page is full of google spyware/trackers and uses privacy-unfriendly google APIs. I block malware and trackers.
Someone knows nothing about creating privacy-friendly anonymous surveys.

To be honest the fact that the OP thinks this is a subreddit is also a large red flag...
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:54 AM   #8
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnementh View Post
To be honest the fact that the OP thinks this is a subreddit is also a large red flag...
I’m guessing it’s just a lazy copy paste.

Fairly useless questions which seem to demonstrate only a basic level of understanding of the target audience. And which almost seem to invite a misleading result.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:58 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnementh View Post
Yeah I'm guessing that's a copy-paste... and they don't seem to have been back to respond to anything. Yeah, they've also posted in r/rpg, r/ebooks, r/books, r/youngadultbooks, r/YAlit, r/Fantasy, r/SampleSize.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:05 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniwagi View Post
Hi everyone! I am a student on the MA Publishing course at London College of Communication, and I'm gathering thoughts and opinions on the potential of enhanced ebooks in fantasy fiction. With so many book lovers on this subreddit, I felt this could be a great place to gather more data.

The survey is anonymous and your answers will only be used as part of academic research for a dissertation. There are 24 questions divided into three sections and it should hopefully take ten interesting minutes to complete. If you are 16 and over, please feel free to participate through this link - https://www.surveylegend.com/s/3l21

Project details, consent info and contact details are on the first page of the survey. Once you've finished, you're welcome to share your thoughts here. A big thank you to everyone who completes the survey and helps my research!
Done!
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:06 AM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I found it odd that in question 10, it specified that illustrations were not considered an enhanced feature and 3 of the 8 option choices for enhanced features were for illustrations.

As for the when reading fantasy choices, I tend to agree with @davidfor that there are very few ebooks I've read that did not require some tweaking. Perhaps I find it hard to be happy with many of the ebook authors/publishers lack of knowledge of the basics of typography.
I imagine that since illustrations have appeared in books for a long time that they figured they are old hat in comparison.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote