Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-25-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
Rheged
Rheged began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Can't Download Reader Library software

Automatic download of library software from setup program included with prs-300 cant connect to server to download software. Subsequent manual download is running at 1.2~2.8KB/S on a 2MB broadband connection shared with 3 other people. Execution of 'ping' command from command prompt in win Vista 32 Home premium, via wifi connection gave this report:

================================================== ======
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\David>ping www.sony.co.uk

Pinging e2304.b.akamaiedge.net [84.53.157.131] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 84.53.157.131: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=51
Request timed out.
Reply from 84.53.157.131: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=51
Reply from 84.53.157.131: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 84.53.157.131:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 42ms, Maximum = 46ms, Average = 44ms
================================================== =======

Attempt to download from www.sony.com resulted in a file of 0 bytes size being downloaded, which was of course useless.

Are the sony sites always this awful to download from or is it just today or something to do with my laptop?

NB, all other websites running fine. typically i can expect a ping time of 41ms on a normal day.

Thanks
Rheged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
jamesthurley
jamesthurley began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch
I have the same problem. The US download site has gone down entirely and the UK one is operating at about 1-2kb/s. I guess a lot of people got sony readers for Christmas :/

If anyone can post a link to a mirror that would be awesome...
jamesthurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Glad I had my sister download it two weeks ago. I would wait a little longer to try again
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
ktemkin
ktemkin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 300
Yeah, it looks very much like Sony just can't handle the download volume right now; understandable, as these devices were probably a popular Christmas gift.

Edit: After a bit of searching, I found a European mirror with decent download speeds:
http://support.sony-europe.com/compu....1.00.12040_PC

Last edited by ktemkin; 12-25-2009 at 01:30 PM.
ktemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Rheged
Rheged began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Phew....

Thanks for the encouraging replies folks. Was semi-panicking that I wouldn't be able to get the reader working before I had to go back to sea...Much appreciated The mirror site posted above works at around 170KB/S, so good work dude/dude-ess on finding it, you're today's hero!
Rheged is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
indiemod
indiemod began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Talking Successful!

Hi, Ktemkin!

I appreciate the advice and have left the American Sony site in the dust for the much more affable European site! I was able to download the library files in just a few seconds, thanks to you! Big Big thanks!!!
indiemod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
skeezx
skeezx began at the beginning.

Device: 300
thanx for good link for e reader

thankyou thankyou ...i finally got this program to work using the europe site.....
skeezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #8
mrsbird3274
mrsbird3274 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony EReader
Worked like a charm! Thanks!
mrsbird3274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:24 PM   #9
jamesthurley
jamesthurley began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Thanks for the link, it doesn't seem to support 64bit though

It's wierd, the US site says 64bit is supported but not the European one. I tried downloading it and sure enough it won't install. Oh well, hopefully the US site will be up again tomorrow.
jamesthurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
iiee
iiee began at the beginning.

Device: ex-hanlin v3 owner, Sony PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktemkin View Post
Yeah, it looks very much like Sony just can't handle the download volume right now; understandable, as these devices were probably a popular Christmas gift.

Edit: After a bit of searching, I found a European mirror with decent download speeds:
Thanks alot i use calibre for most things but my brother has drm ed books which need this program and this mirror has worked a charm. Nice to have someone else do all the leg work.
iiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #11
cre8ive88
cre8ive88 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Oh good!!! I thought I was the only one having problems with it! Haha! Never thought it would be due to an overload on the website for Christmas!! I'll give it a try!! Thank you so much!
cre8ive88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #12
ThomasJacobs
ThomasJacobs began at the beginning.

Continuing Problems after Download

I was unable to get the download to work and a call to Sony support said what was expected based upon prior posts - the site is down, try tomorrow or the next day. I then went to the link in this thread for Europe, downloaded and installed, even though I am running Vista Ultimate 64 bit - it simply installed to the x86 (32 bit directory). I seemingly got it running and was able to install a bunch of PDF files. However, I soon learned that it uses the PDF document internal title and not the file name which meant most of the files were nonsensical in the library and on the reader. Thus I cleared the library and synced to the reader and it appeared to list 0 books so I thought it had worked. I repopulated the library after clearing all the internal titles of the PDF documents so it would default to the more sensical file names and attempted to resync. I now have the following problems:

1. Whenever I connect the reader vista pops up via autoplay Installer for Reader asking me if I wish to Install the ebook library. The library, which is already up and running when I connect is greyed out with a white box stating, "Unable to complete the operation because the destination can no longer be accessed."

2. If I click OK on the error message the reader section of the library displays all the books including the ones I thought I had deleted while the library section displays only the subset with sensible titles and if I try and sync I get the same error, "Unable to complete the operation because the destination can no longer be accessed."

Can anyone offer help?

Why does the autoplay keep asking me to install the software?

How can I complete the sync - do I have to manually delete the 100+ entries on the reader directly?

Is the error because the reader has the books I thought were deleted and they are no longer accessible in the library even though the manual implies the sync is one way from library to reader?

Is there a way to delete all the books on the reader so I can try a sync from scratch?

Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have.

Tom
ThomasJacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:42 AM   #13
ThomasJacobs
ThomasJacobs began at the beginning.

Well after hours of fun, let me share my limited understanding of some of the questions I posed:

It would appear that the autoplay is a vista default that can only be set for software and games as a category as opposed to the reader in isolation. It had nothing to do with the way I installed the software. I learned this by doing an uninstall and repeatedly attempting to download the "user friendly" way by letting the reader connection to the machine prompt me to download the software as in the manual. After 6 attempts it finally completed and then the install proceeded exactly as it did when I downloaded from the site in Europe. So I guess I can ignore the autoplay.

The sync appears to choke on files without providing helpful errors. In my case I discovered that a single pdf file was corrupted via the reader software and until I stopped trying to include this in the library and sync to the reader it would simply sit there forever trying to sync on a different file, so that removing the file mentioned in the sync display did not fix the problem until I discovered the corrupted file manually. Note that the file is perfectly fine within acrobat.

I was unsuccessful in discovering the source of the "Unable to complete the operation because the destination can no longer be accessed." error and would never have figured it out with 200 files in play. I did 6-10 at a time to find the error in the prior paragraph.

The way to delete all the files on the reader, at least the way I did it, was to enter via Start and navigate to /Computer/Reader/database/media/books and delete everything, then eject the reader, shut down the library software and reconnect the reader. Upon recognition by the library software all the titles were gone and I could start again from scratch loading the books into the library.

I was unable to turn off auto sync and the reader library help provides no direction. Further, I was unable to perform the steps regarding Data Execution Prevention as in posts like this one:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...81&postcount=1

as I could not decipher what program in the long list one finds within the System 32 directory was the culprit program.

BTW, I should mention I am using the 3.1.00.12040 version of the library software and am running on Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP2.

Sorry if this is too longwinded but blame it on being a tired newbie.

Any comments whatsoever would be welcome save for abuse for being a tired newbie!

Tom
ThomasJacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:41 AM   #14
laurence
laurence began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktemkin View Post

Hi, unfortunately, I'm french, and my english is "poor"...I hope I have understand everything you've said...

I've got a Sony PRS 600 (for Christmas of course)

I tried yesterday all day long to download with autoplay/Vista. I failed

I downloaded Calibre ,in french, i'll try it

I'll try too, the European link, it seems to work

But what is the best way =Calibre or the Sony software?

thanks
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:26 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For those of you who are new to Sony Readers, please do not use auto-sync. It's just not worth the hassle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote