Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #16
mdbenoit
Enthusiast
mdbenoit began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Zire 71
Thanks for everyone who replied! Unfortunately, it makes me more hesitant than ever to buy a reader. For me, (or my husband, in this case, because it's a birthday present) a reader will be a huge outlay of money. As I said in a previous post, I have hundreds of ebooks in the eReader DRM format (.pdb) and switching to any of these readers, as far as I can tell (and including the BeBook) means that I'll lose all these books.

Frankly, and as much as I love ebooks, this is one of the reasons more people don't gravitate towards electronic books. With print, all you have to do is take it off the shelf. Any shelf.

You can tell I'm a little frustrated.
mdbenoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:41 AM   #17
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
I have tons of ereader books from way back as well. Just google for ereader2html which will convert them to HTML and from there you can format shift to whatever format your reader prefers.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbenoit View Post
I actually read somewhere that PDF is the most common ebook format because it can be read on all readers. So self-publishers and small publishers will definitely offer that format.
The fact that you CAN use PDF for eBooks doesn't mean that it's a good idea to do so. You CAN make a tea-pot out of chocolate - but it won't be a very good tea-pot .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:04 AM   #19
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The fact that you CAN use PDF for eBooks doesn't mean that it's a good idea to do so. You CAN make a tea-pot out of chocolate - but it won't be a very good tea-pot .

And it definitely would be a terrible waste of chocolate ... (unless it's milk chocolate of course)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #20
sigma8
Zealot
sigma8 doesn't littersigma8 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't think it's quite that ineffective :P

If you define a teapot as "a covered, spouted vessel in which you can boil water", then you cannot make one out of chocolate, because you'll never get water to a boil before it melts.

I think a better analogy would be using a normal pot (or a pan) as a teapot. You lose more water to steam, and it is not designed for pouring into cups. You'll likely get burned from it splattering all over the place as you try to pour--but some people can probably do it ok.

All that said, if I could have a teapot made out of chocolate right now, I would so go for that.
sigma8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
buy, kindle, sony reader, vista