Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-18-2017, 06:39 PM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
October appropriate horror?

It's October and I'm about to start Harvest Home.

I have a soft spot for scary stories involving Halloween and harvest time in general and thought I'd look for some recommendations

Here's a list of books I know about. Let me know of ones I missed:

Harvest Home - Thomas Tryon
The October Country - Ray Bradbury
Dark Harvest - Norman Partridge
Johnny Halloween - Norman Partridge
Horrorween - Al Sarrantonio
Hallows Eve - Al Sarrantonio
Halloweenland - Al Sarrantonio
Prank Night - Kristopher Rufty
All Hallow's Dead - Bryan Smith
Prank Night - David Robbins (no ebook version)
Spook Night - David Robbins (no ebook version)
Hell-O-Ween - David Robbins (no ebook version)
The Ceremonies - T.E.D. Klein (I'm stretching it a little here)
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:55 PM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

I have a soft spot for scary stories involving Halloween and harvest time in general and thought I'd look for some recommendations

Blood Harvest, by Sharon Bolton. It's not horror per se, but it's got a lot of creepy gothic elements and great atmosphere, and Bolton is a terrific storyteller.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2017, 08:08 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

Once Upon a Halloween - Richard Laymon

Halloween Carnival 1 - Edited by Brian James Freeman

Halloween Chillers - Douglas Clegg

The 2014 Halloween Horrors Megapack - [Megapack series]

The Orangefield Cycle Omnibus - Al Sarrantonio [The 3 you have listed above in one volume]

Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury

A Little Halloween Talk - Joe R. Lansdale
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:26 PM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
The thief of always.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:14 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Blood Harvest, by Sharon Bolton. It's not horror per se, but it's got a lot of creepy gothic elements and great atmosphere, and Bolton is a terrific storyteller.
Blood Harvest sounds very good. Added to my list. Thanks for that.
Advert
Old 10-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Blood Harvest sounds very good. Added to my list. Thanks for that.

That sounds good to me, as well.

I'm looking forward to reading it.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:47 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Once Upon a Halloween - Richard Laymon

Halloween Carnival 1 - Edited by Brian James Freeman

Halloween Chillers - Douglas Clegg

The 2014 Halloween Horrors Megapack - [Megapack series]

The Orangefield Cycle Omnibus - Al Sarrantonio [The 3 you have listed above in one volume]

Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury

A Little Halloween Talk - Joe R. Lansdale
Dr., Laymon also has All Hallow's Eve and Night in the Lonesome October. I haven't read either yet though, so I'm not clear how tied in they are to Halloween.

Similarly, Douglas Clegg has The Halloween Man. Aside from the title, not sure how tied in it is to the season.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #8
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Have you read A Night in the Lonesome October? It's a delightful story about a group of people gathering in the English countryside for a Lovecraftian ritual on October 31.

Some are Openers and some are there to oppose them. Few names are given. They are just known by descriptions like The Count, the Mad Monk, the Druid, the Good Doctor and Experiment Man and their animal familiars.

And it's all told from the point of view of Jack the Ripper's dog Snuff.

The Gahan Wilson illustrations are excellent.

Last edited by BenG; 10-19-2017 at 05:22 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Have you read A Night in the Lonesome October? It's a delightful story about a group of people gathering in the English countryside for a Lovecraftian ritual on October 31.

Some are Openers and some are there to oppose them. Few names are given. They are just known by descriptions like The Count, the Mad Monk, the Druid, the Good Doctor and Experiment Man and their animal familiars.

And it's all told from the point of view of Jack the Ripper's dog Snuff.

The Gahan Wilson illustrations are excellent.
I'm guessing that isn't the Richard Laymon Lonesome October (another book I meant to list) but the Zelazny one? I haven't read it yet, but I do like the description you gave. It's a shame there doesn't appear to be an e-book version yet.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:41 AM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

One more I forgot I had: 12 Hours of Halloween by Edward Trimnell. I haven't read this one yet. I think I'll read it after I finish Harvest Home.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Yes, Roger Zelazny. Sorry.
Somehow his name got lost in the edit.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:30 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Dr., Laymon also has All Hallow's Eve and Night in the Lonesome October. I haven't read either yet though, so I'm not clear how tied in they are to Halloween.

Similarly, Douglas Clegg has The Halloween Man. Aside from the title, not sure how tied in it is to the season.

I'll have to update the tags on calibre. I'll look them over.

THANK YOU!
Old 10-23-2017, 09:58 AM   #13
onewiththeanswer
onewiththeanswer began at the beginning.

Device: none
I would suggest:
"House of Leaves" Mark Z. Danielewski
"The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" Robert Louis Stevenson
"The Women in Black" Susan Hill
"Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town 2)" Ray Bradbury
onewiththeanswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewiththeanswer View Post
I would suggest:
"House of Leaves" Mark Z. Danielewski
"The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" Robert Louis Stevenson
"The Women in Black" Susan Hill
"Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town 2)" Ray Bradbury
But aside from the fact these are classics of creepiness, do House of Leaves, Jekyll and Hyde or The Woman in Black have anything to do with Halloween/Harvest/Autumn?

I could give you a list of horror fiction as long as my arm. But for purposes of this thread, I'm looking for stories that tie-in with this particular time of year.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:14 PM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But aside from the fact these are classics of creepiness, do House of Leaves, Jekyll and Hyde or The Woman in Black have anything to do with Halloween/Harvest/Autumn?

I could give you a list of horror fiction as long as my arm. But for purposes of this thread, I'm looking for stories that tie-in with this particular time of year.
Amen to that!