Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
E-book pricing comparisons

Anyone else fans of pricing out the difference between e-books and p-books? I've been seeing some improvement lately. Terry Brooks' stuff, for example, is usually about 20% cheaper in e-book (despite being agency.)

I got interested in a fun series called the Parasol Protectorate by Gail Carriger. Read the first two from my library, and now I'm interested in picking up the rest.

Paperbacks on Chapters web-site are $8.99. E-books on Kobo are 7.99. 12.5% off. Not bad. Box set on Kobo: $29.99. $6 per book as opposed to $7.99. 25% more savings. Awesome.

Good feeling almost completely destroyed by the fact the boxset in p-book is at $26.39 on Chapters.

I'm a little torn. Orbit is obviously being pretty good on pricing here. I don't expect huge discounts on e-books, but I find some discount logical. 12.5% off on individual books is pretty decent. The $29.99 for the box set is $10 cheaper then the retail price of the physical set. 25% off. Cool. But the retailer can top it because of the differences between the Agency model and the wholesale model.

I think in this case I'd be ok with $4 more for e-book then p-book. In this case, I know the publisher is discounting the e-book product. True, another retailer is undercutting them a bit (because in Agency the publisher is basically the retailer) but I find I'm not as irritated as I was, say, at discovering the Harry Dresden books were priced $1 more in e-book as p-book (full retail).

It's a weird head-space to be in. Sorry for rambling.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Check out luzme.com to get a comparison between the different ebook stores.
I usually add books to my Amazon wishlist, which is connected to my luzme account, so I get notifications whenever the prices go up or down and in the individual stores.

Whenever I can't wait and I need a book right away, but the paperbook is around the same price or lower, I'll buy the paper book and donate it to my local library after reading it. I much prefer ebooks, but at least I know someone else will profit from my purchase as well afterwards. If they are books I think I may want to reread, I buy the ebook version, though.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert