Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #16
LucyLu
Bookaholic
LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, PocketBook Touch
Some years ago I received for my birthday 2 copies of "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyers (1 in english and 1 in italian) . This kind of book usually is not my cup of tea since I read a lot of thriller, horror, supernatural etc and "99 coffins" by David Wellington is more my genre however I decided to give it a chance.

Sure as hell it's been the worst book I've read in my life.

On which basis I'm saying this....let me see: poor writing style, plot holes, nonexistent character development, repetitions, repetitions, repetitions.. The main character, Bella, is entirely unbelievable as a person and probably the most stupid, glaring chick on this earth and as someone said she represents all that those who fight for feminism are battling to demolish.
LucyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyLu View Post
Some years ago I received for my birthday 2 copies of "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyers (1 in english and 1 in italian) . This kind of book usually is not my cup of tea since I read a lot of thriller, horror, supernatural etc and "99 coffins" by David Wellington is more my genre however I decided to give it a chance.

Sure as hell it's been the worst book I've read in my life.

On which basis I'm saying this....let me see: poor writing style, plot holes, nonexistent character development, repetitions, repetitions, repetitions.. The main character, Bella, is entirely unbelievable as a person and probably the most stupid, glaring chick on this earth and as someone said she represents all that those who fight for feminism are battling to demolish.
But it's given an awful lot of pleasure to a very large number of teenage girls. That's a good thing, surely, regardless of the literary merits of the book? To my mind any book which encourages teenagers to read is to be praised.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #18
LucyLu
Bookaholic
LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, PocketBook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To my mind any book which encourages teenagers to read is to be praised.
I agree with you regarding the encouragement in reading but I think that books should be intellectually stimulating especially for young people. I'm young too (only not "so young" ) and I know that sometimes reading something "light" is fun but this kind of books (I'm referring to the whole series) are intellectual black holes in my opinion.
LucyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyLu View Post
I agree with you regarding the encouragement in reading but I think that books should be intellectually stimulating especially for young people. I'm young too (only not "so young" ) and I know that sometimes reading something "light" is fun but this kind of books (I'm referring to the whole series) are intellectual black holes in my opinion.
Probably no more, so, than Mills and Boone romances, which sell in their millions. Heck - probably hundreds of millions altogether.

Reading is entertainment. If it's fun to read, does it have to have literary merit? "Literary fiction" obviously has its place, but so does "fluff".
Old 07-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #20
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I don't finish books that don't do something for me in at most the first chapter. And if they slump later...I have no problem dumping them. Now that doesn't mean that others might not like said books.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #21
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Probably no more, so, than Mills and Boone romances, which sell in their millions. Heck - probably hundreds of millions altogether.

Reading is entertainment. If it's fun to read, does it have to have literary merit? "Literary fiction" obviously has its place, but so does "fluff".
Exactly. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to Goodreads to rate the latest M&B / Harlequin I've consumed and see a really low rating with a review discussing the book's lack of literary merit. I'm confused that anyone would expect to find that in an MMFFF (that would be "mass-market fluff for females", no insult intended to any males that also enjoy them).

Fluff definitely has its place - in my case, that place would be anywhere within easy reach.

The worst book I've read? I won't mention any names, but it was a collection of erotic shorts by a man who apparently has spent very little time in the presence of real-live women. The sex in that book was an anatomical train wreck, and the dialog was right out of an uninformed teenager's fantasy. Sentence structure was horrific.

I didn't rate it, review it or even list it in my books on GR. I suspected it may well have been written by a shy, fragile 18-year old, and I decided to let someone else be the bad guy.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #22
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Just because I don't read certain genres does not mean that I think they are useless and should not be published. If everyone had the same tastes in reading there would be very few authors.
I know that quite a few authors and books I read are not the majorities cup of tea. But, at least enough enjoy them that I can continue to find new works available. Sometimes I just want to sit down and enjoy reading something that is entertaining and requires very little work out of "my little gray cells". Sort of like people who like action movies with that little Jack Reacher wanna be.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #23
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Just because I don't read certain genres does not mean that I think they are useless and should not be published. If everyone had the same tastes in reading there would be very few authors.
But at least we'd all like every author out there. Wouldn't that make threads like this boring?

I can't recall specific names, but I do regularly download a dozen or so Creative Commons and start to read them. Some of them are poor, some are bad and some are startlingly bad - I don't finish the bad ones.

I do occasionally come across something I like though (maybe one in ten or so), and they're free, so nothing lost except a little time.

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 07-11-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I know that quite a few authors and books I read are not the majorities cup of tea.
A good example of that is a book of David Eddings' called "The Redemption of Althalas". It's one of my all-time favourite books, and the best (to my mind) of David Eddings' novels. But I regularly see it in peoples' "all time worst" lists.

It takes all sorts to make the world go round, as the saying goes.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #25
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
I have read a few really bad books though - very badly written ones, stories that didn't make sense or go anywhere and whatnot - but thankfully my memory quickly deletes the particulars, so I can't remember what they were.
I've abandoned more books than I finish. That's what snobs do

It is amazing how quickly the human brain suppresses unpleasant memories.

I had to keep a list of these unfinished titles so I don't accidentally pick them back up again. Also I write a brief blurb as to why I ditched it.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Crocodile on the Sandbank is not an awful eBook from the point of view of the story. But it is awful from the standpoint of way way way too many errors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Crocodile on the Sandbank is not an awful eBook from the point of view of the story. But it is awful from the standpoint of way way way too many errors.
I read it recently and didn't notice an abnormal number of errors. It has different US and UK publishers - I wonder if the UK edition has fewer errors, perhaps?
Old 07-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I read it recently and didn't notice an abnormal number of errors. It has different US and UK publishers - I wonder if the UK edition has fewer errors, perhaps?
Take a look at your UK edition. See if you have em dashes with a space after them and ... with a space after as well. Those are the errors in the US version. Not all em dashes are wrong, but all ... are wrong.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #29
shane.hamilton
shane.hamilton began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I just finished reading Inversions by Iain M Banks. I gotta say it was pretty horrible start to finish. I read it anyway for completions sake (reading all of the culture books in sequence, though this is barely one of them). It was like reading a history book. Not once did I wonder what was next, it just couldn't grab my attention.

It wasn't poorly written it was just one of the most horrible plots I've ever read.
shane.hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #30
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane.hamilton View Post
I just finished reading Inversions by Iain M Banks. I gotta say it was pretty horrible start to finish. I read it anyway for completions sake (reading all of the culture books in sequence, though this is barely one of them). It was like reading a history book. Not once did I wonder what was next, it just couldn't grab my attention.

It wasn't poorly written it was just one of the most horrible plots I've ever read.

Hmmm, and I've heard such good things about his work. Maybe this one was just to complete a contract or some such.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote