Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #16
stef70
stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
Is there an official place where the new firmwares are announced and documented?
stef70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #17
Byron4120
Enthusiast
Byron4120 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Touch
[QUOTE=Byron4120;1623247]I'd like a Home icon on the screens -- Button ok but screen pick is easier and seems more intuitive.

In the book read you can get here by middle touch & then home is in bottom left. (New reader so missed this) - But other screens do not behave similarly. It would be great if they all showed home on the working screen or behaved like the reader with a middle touch selection.
Byron4120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #18
distorteddisco
Enthusiast
distorteddisco began at the beginning.

Proper application/plugin framework. I can write Qt programs but there is no easy way to get them to work on the Kobo. A lot of people have tried and given up.
distorteddisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #19
Captain_Obvious
Captain_Obvious began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc
I agree with what everyone is saying. I'd like to add something that's merely asthetic and just nice to have. I would like it if when the ereader is a sleep or powered off that I can have the book cover take up all of the screen. Sort of similar to the way Mr. Talusen's avatar looks except with a real book :-P
Captain_Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #20
adrianoftyriel
adrianoftyriel began at the beginning.

Social Media Integration

Well, I'm surprised no one else is interested in this, but I'd really like the ability to tweet or post to facebook quotes from my books, or a notification that I'm starting a new book.
adrianoftyriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #21
djloewen
Connoisseur
djloewen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Footnotes/endnotes. Tap to go read it, tap again to go back. This is essential, not optional.
djloewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:30 AM   #22
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Would it be possible to add a sleep button to the advanced menu or somewhere else easily accessible while reading a book? The power switch is difficult to use since it's flush with the case, and it's even harder when you have the touch cover since the elastics cover the button.
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #23
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianoftyriel View Post
Well, I'm surprised no one else is interested in this, but I'd really like the ability to tweet or post to facebook quotes from my books, or a notification that I'm starting a new book.
I for one dont care if it does social media. I am reading and honestly i dont need to see what TWITS are doing on Twitter its pointless.. But that said Although I would never personally need this obviously there is a huge majority who would like the option of the doing this. So why not have it added, there are definatly people that want and need it. come on KOBO DUDES do your thing and add the social asspect.

And in all seriousness just because its something I do not need I see no reason why it is not there. Tweeting,face booking, blogging etc there is a growing need here. But like anything else untill you guys shout out it may not get added and that would be a shame. So if KOBO sees you guys want this then they will most likely add it.. I mean how bad could that be?

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #24
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
This kind of thing seems to come to iOS phone/pad, then Android, and then the reader. I think Jack should give Kobo a whole pile of money so they can do everything at once .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #25
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
This kind of thing seems to come to iOS phone/pad, then Android, and then the reader. I think Jack should give Kobo a whole pile of money so they can do everything at once .
lol $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 06-25-2011, 10:08 AM   #26
jackastor
Wizard

Firmware 1.9.4

Has anyone else noticed that the ereader seems to sit in limbo when you eject it after a sync instead of going to the home screen automatically?

I find that this one thing is truly annoying...

regards

Jack
Old 06-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #27
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Not a problem for WiFi syncs. I have not done any other. Then again, syncs happen for me from the Home screen. That way I am sure that I have a bookmark set on my current book without having to set one manually.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #28
jackastor
Wizard

Its not the books marks i remember exactly where i leave off at all times for anything i read. Although with out the books marks its a pain to get back. lol

its the addition of books.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #29
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Another thing I'd like is for it to remember font settings separately for books and newspapers. They seem to have distinctly different base sizes and I have to change font size between the two. And since the font I currently like for books doesn't have bold/italics as separate files, some of the navigation options (i.e. back to article list) don't show up unless I change to a different font.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #30
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
And in all seriousness just because its something I do not need I see no reason why it is not there. Tweeting,face booking, blogging etc there is a growing need here. But like anything else untill you guys shout out it may not get added and that would be a shame. So if KOBO sees you guys want this then they will most likely add it.. I mean how bad could that be?
Depends on what it takes to add a feature, and how that feature runs. I don't know a lot about Linux and programming, but supposing a twitter service was always live (maybe to keep an eye on your activities), then that would mean less resources for page turns and other more essential functions. It doesn't sound like much, but how many different extra functions will need to be loaded until everyone is satisfied?
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote