Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-21-2017, 10:47 PM   #91
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The thing is, you don't know if you will be spoiled or not if you read out of order and once you are spoiled, you cannot be unspoiled. So when someone says a book in a series is standalone, I don't believe it because if I was to believe it and I did get spoiled, I would not be happy. So it's just easier to read in order. That way I don't get spoiled. I know what some thing is standalone I would think not and that's OK. Just don't try to convince me because I'll think you're wrong and I would be correct.
Nowhere in my post did I say that I was trying to convince YOU or anyone else to read books out of order. I personally do not care how other people read. If you want to read a series strictly in order or if you want to post a list of the books on the wall and throw darts at the list in order to choose a random book to start with, it makes absolutely no difference to me.

All was trying to do was to point out that SOME readers are okay with reading out-of-order mystery books as long as the mystery in that book was stand-alone (I meant this as opposed to a story arc over multiple books). I am sorry if I was unclear or if this came across as an attempt to proselytize but that was NOT my intent.

Maybe stating that the mystery in a particular book is "self-contained" would be better terminology than to say that the mystery is a "standalone".
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:20 PM   #92
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Nowhere in my post did I say that I was trying to convince YOU or anyone else to read books out of order. I personally do not care how other people read. If you want to read a series strictly in order or if you want to post a list of the books on the wall and throw darts at the list in order to choose a random book to start with, it makes absolutely no difference to me.

All was trying to do was to point out that SOME readers are okay with reading out-of-order mystery books as long as the mystery in that book was stand-alone (I meant this as opposed to a story arc over multiple books). I am sorry if I was unclear or if this came across as an attempt to proselytize but that was NOT my intent.

Maybe stating that the mystery in a particular book is "self-contained" would be better terminology than to say that the mystery is a "standalone".
You may use me as an example. I love mysteries. Characters are very secondary.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:29 AM   #93
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
And expendable!

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #94
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
The term is also widely used in the UK, New Zealand and Australia as far as my experience is concerned. That, in the manner you have described, as a book for young readers transitioning between picture books and (normally) fiction. I cannot comment on Canada, it being another English speaking country spun out of the English tradition, as I have never been to it (just over it many times, which doesn't count unless we crashed ).
It's also commonly used in Canada, or at least some parts of Canada.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #95
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Ever read a mystery series out of order and find that a character who's well established as the friend/lover/spouse of the protagonist in, say, book five was a prime suspect in book one of the series? It pretty much destroys any suspense or tension when you read book one.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:50 AM   #96
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Ever read a mystery series out of order and find that a character who's well established as the friend/lover/spouse of the protagonist in, say, book five was a prime suspect in book one of the series? It pretty much destroys any suspense or tension when you read book one.
That describes the In Death series perfectly. Also with the In Death series, there are a lot of things mentioned from previous books. And given how the characters progress, reading out of order will spoil things.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #97
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That describes the In Death series perfectly. Also with the In Death series, there are a lot of things mentioned from previous books. And given how the characters progress, reading out of order will spoil things.
In death, he was a suspect in the first one. How else is she supposed to met the love of her life?

Side note: if I had read that one first, it would have turned me off the series. I didn't care for the style of the first book. So I am glad I read them out of order.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 10-22-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:06 PM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
In death, he was a suspect in the first one. How else is she supposed to met the love of her life?

Side note: if I had read that one first, it would have turned me off the series. I didn't care for the style of the first book. So I am glad I read them out of order.
I liked the first book. But I do have to say that there are others that are much better.

A lot of long running series start off not all that strong, but they do get better as they go along. But the worst book of the In Death series was not the first one. It was one in the middle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:03 PM   #99
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
I liked the first book. But I do have to say that there are others that are much better.

A lot of long running series start off not all that strong, but they do get better as they go along. But the worst book of the In Death series was not the first one. It was one in the middle.
I will agree with you there.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:23 AM   #100
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I had never heard the term "chapter book" until I joined Mobileread. As best I can remember from my childhood several decades ago, we had "picture books" for young children and once you got past those into books that were mostly or all text, we just called them "books".
If you go into a Barnes and Noble (in the US at least) and you are hardy enough to brave the children's section, you will see that they have signage for Chapter Books (The Magic Treehouse and The Magic Schoolbus are some of the popular series I remember having to shelve in that section). In fact, if you go to the Magic Treehouse website, here's how they describe one of the more recent books in the series: Meet Jackie Robinson and solve a mystery in the #1 bestselling Magic Tree House chapter book series! So it isn't just users here that refer to these types of books by these terms.

I would guess that this isn't new terminology, but like 4691mls mentioned, it has become more popular in the last fifteen years or so. As a kid, I don't remember chapter books either.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #101
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
If you go into a Barnes and Noble (in the US at least) and you are hardy enough to brave the children's section, you will see that they have signage for Chapter Books (The Magic Treehouse and The Magic Schoolbus are some of the popular series I remember having to shelve in that section). In fact, if you go to the Magic Treehouse website, here's how they describe one of the more recent books in the series: Meet Jackie Robinson and solve a mystery in the #1 bestselling Magic Tree House chapter book series! So it isn't just users here that refer to these types of books by these terms.

I would guess that this isn't new terminology, but like 4691mls mentioned, it has become more popular in the last fifteen years or so. As a kid, I don't remember chapter books either.
We just told people the book we were reading or what genre we liked.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:28 AM   #102
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
We just told people the book we were reading or what genre we liked.
How did we survive
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #103
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
How did we survive
Pure dumb luck.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:44 PM   #104
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
How did we survive
Quote:
Pure dumb luck.
Back then we didn't have the Internet so unless the people we actually knew in real life weren't using a term like "chapter books" we didn't know about it, or care - we were too busy walking 10 miles to school in the snow, uphill both ways
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:04 PM   #105
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Back then we didn't have the Internet so unless the people we actually knew in real life weren't using a term like "chapter books" we didn't know about it, or care - we were too busy walking 10 miles to school in the snow, uphill both ways
While having to lug all those books.