Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
vampiregrave
vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kobo Glo
Arbitrary breaks in long paragraphs

I've been struggling with a specific article with very long paragraphs. When i preview the epub file using calibre and ADE there's absolutely no problem, but when i test it in my Kobo Glo i find several arbitrary breaks, sometimes in the middle of the screen. As far as i can tell the problem resides in the lenght of the paragraphs. Is there any way to fix the behavior?
vampiregrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Try to set the attributes widows and orphans to 0 in css. It has worked for me.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
vampiregrave
vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Try to set the attributes widows and orphans to 0 in css. It has worked for me.
Already did. No effect unfortunately. Either it doesn't work or kobo's software forces some default value.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry about it. I've modified .calibre in stylesheet.css to include them and it has worked.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:57 AM   #5
vampiregrave

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Sorry about it. I've modified .calibre in stylesheet.css to include them and it has worked.
Thanks for the help anyway. I'm editing the stylesheet with SIGIL.
I noticed that reducing font size fixes most breaks (but makes it almost impossible to read comfortably).
Old 11-28-2012, 05:52 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Perhaps the kobo ignores the orphans an widows settings.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
That's probably related to the limited memory and processing power of reading devices (and Adobe-based software trying to make sure it works in smaller ones), and I don't think there's a way to properly fix it. You'd have to live with that and try to get the device and software developers to create better-behaved readers.

Last edited by Jellby; 11-28-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
vampiregrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
That's probably related to the limited memory and processing power of reading devices (and Adobe-based software trying to make sure it works in smaller ones), and I don't think there's a way to properly fix it. You'd have to live with that and try to get the device and software developers to create better-behaved readers.
Just noticed this issue is listed in the "Know Bugs in ADE" sticky. Guess i'm out of luck then. I'll probably post about this in the Kobo section.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Perhaps the kobo ignores the orphans an widows settings.
No, it doesn't, neither Mini nor Glo. I've tested at Mini and I girl at other forum has tested it at Glo. It works. She has done from the calibre GUI.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Hello everyone,

Just a quick follow-up.

I was on the verge to create a new post, but I found this one. As it partially solves my "problem" I reactivated it today.

Indeed, the ePub I am trying to work with (Les chants de Maldoror, I. Ducasse aka Lautréamont), has some paragraphs up to 5 pages (8.5x11 doc file)! And I want it to be readable on my eReader.

First. The solution proposed by Terisa de morgan (widows and orphans to 0 in css) works! even with very long paragraphs. So many thanks to you Terisa because I was (desperately ) seeking a solution and had really no clue.

This is curious because as Jellby, I believed that the problem was just a side effect to the limitations of eReaders on the market (lack of power, lack of memory: seem true for the Kobo Touch however).

Now, it works but not equally with the Kobo Touch and the Sony PRS-T1 I had on hand for testing.

With the Sony, the text wraps almost perfectly with all the long paragraphs, showing no memory or flow problems.

With the KT, things are not very good as several pages are cut erratically.

Trade off in both cases? Orphans and widows of course!

The text I'm talking about is certainly an exception, because the majority of authors do not create paragraphs nearly as long as chapters!

An interesting thing, perhaps, would be to test with other machines than the Sony and the Kobo Touch.

If you have any comments, it's would be appreciate.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The Kobo devices do have a bug with long paragraphs. Whether it is the Kobo specific or ADE, I don't know. But, as the Sony seems OK, it might just be Kobo.

What I see is that if the a paragraph has more text than a screen, the start of the paragraph will be moved to the top of the next screen. It was discussed in the Kobo forum late last year, but someone said it had been in all firmware versions. I played with it a little bit to see the limits, but I didn't try a paragraph as long as what you have, so I don't know what happens after several screens of text.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's not ADE. Long paragraphs work fine on my 650, Bluefire, ADE 1.7.7 & 2.0 for Windows.

It is yet another Kobo bug. I think Kobo needs to fire their programming staff and get new staff that can actually do the job.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:59 AM   #13
vampiregrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The Kobo devices do have a bug with long paragraphs. Whether it is the Kobo specific or ADE, I don't know. But, as the Sony seems OK, it might just be Kobo.

What I see is that if the a paragraph has more text than a screen, the start of the paragraph will be moved to the top of the next screen. It was discussed in the Kobo forum late last year, but someone said it had been in all firmware versions. I played with it a little bit to see the limits, but I didn't try a paragraph as long as what you have, so I don't know what happens after several screens of text.
It's incredibly annoying and it seems to depend on font size; i tried the lowest sizes (pretty much ilegible) and it solved some of the random page breaks. Not exactly a fix though...

Last edited by vampiregrave; 02-06-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:49 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiregrave View Post
It's incredibly annoying and it seems to depend on font size; i tried the lowest sizes (pretty much ilegible) and it solved some of the random page breaks. Not exactly a fix though...
The font size does affect it. As I stated, a long paragraphs starts on the next screen if the paragraph would take more than a screen. This is more than a screen at the current font settings.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #15
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
First of all, thank you davidfor and JSWolf for your previous answers.

@ davidfor, I didn't know that bug in the Kobo: too bad especially if it's an old one!

@ JSWolf. I'm not far from sharing your opinion about the Kobo devs. But they continue to "try" and it's a good thing because the KT is not so bad.

@ vampiregrave. Regarding your long paragraphs: have you a lot of them? How long are they?

In my case (Les chants de Maldoror) long paragraphs are the norm. This is why it is not a good example. In fact, this is an exception.

Let try to think of solutions.

1. Break very long paragraphs, and only them. This "solution" is, however, contrary to the intention of the author. Not so good!

2. Create a division <div> for long paragraphs with the option "widows and orphans to 0 in css". I have not tested it yet, but that could just help the eReader.

3. Buy a Sony (just kidding).

If anyone has any other ideas it would be cool to share it.

Have a really nice day everyone!

Last edited by Arios; 02-06-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote