Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
How Do I Get Skype to Work?

I joined & saw simple Skype is Free... & Its Free thru Facebook Chat! But I cant seem to get it to work on the Fire HD.
Cant use it on my laptop... unless I get Speakers headphones broke dang things were brand new Anyway What the heck am I doing Wrong BTW in advance!

Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Register with Skype with an email address and password. Then use the Skype app to sign in.

Contact others with Skype and arrange for a date and time to call them.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cant contact anyone thru Skype! She cant contat me! Both have it but no way to connect. We cant seem to put in contacts or what ever they are call.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
This might be beneficial for you to read:

https://support.skype.com/en/categor..._FOR_ANDROID/1

How to add contacts:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1...pe-for-android

Their FAQ pages are really confusing and hard to navigate. I don't blame you and your friend for being confused.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Jess I read it ...give it a try later today! Thanks!
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4
I got Skype working voice to voice (Kindle to PC) but it didn't seem to put a picture or video up from the Kindle HD. Is this supposed to happen or is it just voice and IM?
Villordsutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villordsutch View Post
I got Skype working voice to voice (Kindle to PC) but it didn't seem to put a picture or video up from the Kindle HD. Is this supposed to happen or is it just voice and IM?
Here is the documentation from Amazon for Skype:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201008220
Old 11-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hopefully I've read and watched enough helpful hints to get this working

Will update Friday
Old 11-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I cant get it working ..sigh They Skype sent me Free 30 days of FULL Skype! Wish I could figure this out ugh
Old 12-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking

I registered my details on the main Skype page via my PC.

I also downloaded the (free) Skype software to my PC, this way I can make the profile amendments etc.

Open the Kindle Fire HD and begin the setup - A click should do it (no need for you to download any software the Kindle does it itself).

As you've registered already input your user details.

Skype will then launch with your setup and friends.

Click Contacts and select a friend. It will give you a list of options (inc Video Chat).

What I did as it is for my daughters Christmas present was to set myself an account on the PC for me, and initiate a video chat to see if it worked. It did

Hope that helps.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I can't add anything to this discussion, because I don't own a Fire. But I'm curious to know how easy it is to make voice calls via Skype on the Fire. In particular, does the device have a built-in microphone? If not, what are the options for purchasing one? Are they easily available, or is it like with the iPod where you need a device-specific microphone?

I use Skype all the time on my Windows PC. I've never managed to get it working on my iPod, which is why I'm interested in the possibilities for the Fire.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I can't add anything to this discussion, because I don't own a Fire. But I'm curious to know how easy it is to make voice calls via Skype on the Fire. In particular, does the device have a built-in microphone? If not, what are the options for purchasing one? Are they easily available, or is it like with the iPod where you need a device-specific microphone?

I use Skype all the time on my Windows PC. I've never managed to get it working on my iPod, which is why I'm interested in the possibilities for the Fire.

Mike
Which iPod do you have? The Fire has a built in microphone and so do newer iPods (the current 4th and 5th generations anyway) and they just work out of the box.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:11 AM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Fire HD has Camera & Microphone & Speakers! My problem turned out NONE of my Friends have SKYPE!!! ugh I keep it since its free maybe they try it later... sigh ?Usually I the one Tech behind LOL
Old 12-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #14
Jessica Lares
Wizard

LOL, tell them they need to get their behinds on it! And it's FREE!
Old 12-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #15
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
The Fire has a built in microphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Fire HD has Camera & Microphone & Speakers!
Thanks, both. Actually, if I had taken the trouble to read the specs, I wouldn't have needed to bother you.

Jessica, my iPod is quite old. It definitely doesn't have a microphone. I thought of buying one, but the ones I saw were ridiculously expensive. And now I find that I can't run Skype any more because the latest version no longer runs on my iPod, and I can't downgrade back to the previous version.

That's why I was interested in the Fire.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote