Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I Want Shakespeare in Novel Form.Can you Help Me?

when i was small and in primary school i did not know shakespeare was difficult and greatly enjoyed a shakespeare book which was in the classroom library.

i think it was one of those bright yellow/orange jacket books and other books in that educational series include statistics,calculus,public speaking,computers..etc..etc..

this book was a collection of shakespeare tales including tempest,merchant of venice ,macbeth,othello..etc.etc..in novel form just like fairy stories and thus i greatly enjoyed it.

i do not want to read shakespeare in play form.

i have since tried to get shakespeare in novel form but it seems to be impossible.

remembering that shakespeare is no longer copyrighted does anyone here know where i can download shakespeare in novel form.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
The plays are out of copyright of course, but that doesn't mean that the novelised versions are too. Whoever converted then has copyright in his/her own right.
Possibly E Nesbit, and http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1430

Last edited by Conor; 12-12-2011 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Further info.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Gutenberg also has a Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb retold fairy-tale style which seem pretty similar to what what the OP describes.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:56 PM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I read the Lamb book in Junior High. I remember enjoying it.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Gutenberg also has a Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb retold fairy-tale style which seem pretty similar to what what the OP describes.
Can you remember what the book liked like and if it was in novel/fairystory style.

i clicked on the link that was given and it seems this might be what i am looking for but i need to ask if these are the full plays adapted to novel style or abbreviated/truncated or dumbed down versions?

Can you remember what the book liked like and if it was in novel/fairystory style.

i clicked on the link that was given and it seems this might be what i am looking for but i need to ask if these are the full plays adapted to novel style or abbreviated/truncated or dumbed down versions?

i get the impression they have been edited down to cope with the MTV generation kids as they seem to be very short in length.

thanks.
thanks.

Last edited by vugtitan; 12-13-2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Can you remember what the book liked like and if it was in novel/fairystory style.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
Sorry, I have no idea; I haven't actually read this, just did a quick skim of the opening, which started off with a version of The Tempest retold in prose like someone was telling a bedtime story to the kiddies. They're probably a bit truncated, since there seem to be a lot of retellings to fit into a 500 kb text file, but the storyline didn't seem especially dumbed-down for what little I looked at.

Anyway, you can always click the "Generated HTML" link to look through the book online before you download the e-reader version.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Sorry, I have no idea; I haven't actually read this, just did a quick skim of the opening, which started off with a version of The Tempest retold in prose like someone was telling a bedtime story to the kiddies. They're probably a bit truncated, since there seem to be a lot of retellings to fit into a 500 kb text file, but the storyline didn't seem especially dumbed-down for what little I looked at.

Anyway, you can always click the "Generated HTML" link to look through the book online before you download the e-reader version.

i get the impression they have been edited down to cope with the MTV generation kids as they seem to be very short in length including the html file.

thanks.
thanks.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you admit you were "small and in primary school" when you read them, how can you be certain they weren't abridged and/or dumbed down?

Also, I would be very surprised if "this book was a collection of shakespeare tales including tempest,merchant of venice ,macbeth,othello..etc.etc" and it didn't shorten or abridge the stories in some way. A child wouldn't have been able to hold an unabridged, novelized book that contained all of those stories.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If you admit you were "small and in primary school" when you read them, how can you be certain they weren't abridged and/or dumbed down?

Also, I would be very surprised if "this book was a collection of shakespeare tales including tempest,merchant of venice ,macbeth,othello..etc.etc" and it didn't shorten or abridge the stories in some way. A child wouldn't have been able to hold an unabridged, novelized book that contained all of those stories.

i think i was about 6 to 10 in school and all the well known stories were in this single volume as described above.

it was a small font and i think the book must must have been 200 to 300 pages.

the teacher was surprised i was reading it.

have you read or anyone else here read the full plays and can they confirm if they have shortened?
Old 12-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
i get the impression they have been edited down to cope with the MTV generation kids as they seem to be very short in length including the html file.

thanks.
They are indeed short. They are extremely condensed versions of the plays. They are not, however, dumbed down for the "MTV generation," since they were written in 1807.

Coleman Thomas Randall has written a set of Shakespeare novels, but I can't say how good they are.

The Modern Shakespeare ebooks collection claims to follow the original text entirely; they're $15 each.

Last edited by Elfwreck; 12-13-2011 at 05:31 PM. Reason: add second link.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #11
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
The Lamb "Tales..." were certainly in UK schools around the late 60's, early 70's, but were rather looked down on as a bit removed from the real article. But
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
They are indeed short. They are extremely condensed versions of the plays. They are not, however, dumbed down for the "MTV generation," since they were written in 1807.

Coleman Thomas Randall has written a set of Shakespeare novels, but I can't say how good they are.

The Modern Shakespeare ebooks collection claims to follow the original text entirely; they're $15 each.
$15 for one 800 year old book out of copyright is just extortionate.

no wonder people can't read the classics.

it would cost $150 for 10 books and for all hakespeare books more than $15000.

there must be a cheaper way to get them such as a fan club which turns them into novels for you or some software which could turn a play into a novel in the same way as calibre converts from pdf to epub or mobi,etc...

Old 12-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #13
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
$15 for one 800 year old book out of copyright is just extortionate.
It's not out of copyright. Shakespeare's plays are out of copyright; novelizations of them can be in copyright.

You're allowed to make your own novelizations. If you'd rather read someone else's, you'll have to pay what they want for their work.

Quote:
no wonder people can't read the classics.
The complete works of Shakespeare are free at Gutenberg. What you're looking for is not "the classics;" it's an adaptation of the classics to a more modern form of literature.

Quote:
there must be a cheaper way to get them such as a fan club which turns them into novels for you or some software which could turn a play into a novel in the same way as calibre converts from pdf to epub or mobi,etc...

There are free versions.

Shakespeare Right Now has free ebook novelizations of several plays. (I'd've listed them earlier but I didn't find a direct link; they were mentioned in a forum somewhere.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:19 AM   #14
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
It's not out of copyright. Shakespeare's plays are out of copyright; novelizations of them can be in copyright.

You're allowed to make your own novelizations. If you'd rather read someone else's, you'll have to pay what they want for their work.

The complete works of Shakespeare are free at Gutenberg. What you're looking for is not "the classics;" it's an adaptation of the classics to a more modern form of literature.

There are free versions.

Shakespeare Right Now has free ebook novelizations of several plays. (I'd've listed them earlier but I didn't find a direct link; they were mentioned in a forum somewhere.)
Hi Elfwreck

that is awesome...these appear to be full proper novelizations instead of the shakespeare for retarded dummies lobotomized versions intended for the MTV generation.

i am so grateful to you

once again thank you.

you are truly awesome and a credit to humanity.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm a bit baffled by this whole concept. The whole "point" of Shakespeare is not the stories - Shakespeare didn't invent a single of one his stories; they are all taken from other sources. The reason Shakespeare is regarded as the greatest ever English playwright is his use of language. A novelization deprives you of that. What on Earth is the point? Might just as well read a "Cliff Notes" version of the plays if you just want to know what happens in them
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, king, search, shakespeare