Notices

Old 04-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #1
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Question KOReader Latest Version Compatible with Boyue Likebook Mars

Hello:

Which is the latest version of KOReader compatible with Boyue Likebook Mars?
  • The version installed from Likebook Mars App Store is v2015.11
  • The currently available version v2020.03.2 didn't work with my Likebook Mars, firmware v2.3.0

Awaiting your kind reply,

[INCANUS]

Last edited by Incanus; 04-13-2020 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Changing notification schedule
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:56 PM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
Hello:

Which is the latest version of KOReader compatible with Boyue Likebook Mars?
  • The version installed from Likebook Mars App Store is v2015.11
  • The currently available version v2020.03.2 didn't work with my Likebook Mars, firmware v2.3.0

[INCANUS]
Why are you interessted in such buggy software?
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2020, 01:17 PM   #3
Incanus
Incanus

Exclamation Why KOReader on Boyue Likebook Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Why are you interessted in such buggy software?
I'm trying to replace the Boyue Reader native software with some Android alternative. CoolReader it's rather cumbersome and has poor dictionary integration; I don't like MoonReader+; hence KOReader.

Can you help me?

[INCANUS]
Old 04-13-2020, 01:58 PM   #4
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Hi Incanus. The latest version is 2020.03.2. The version in the likebook store is rather old and we can't check if it was modified somehow.

We got reports of recent KO versions working on different Likebook devices, so it is probably the new FW which broke something but we need logs to confirm (and hopefully solve) that.

Copying from github:

Quote:
Android won't have a crash.log file because Google restricts what apps can log, so you'll need to obtain logs using
Code:
adb logcat KOReader:I ActivityManager:* AndroidRuntime:* *:F
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:04 PM   #5
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To see how a vendor can implement crappy changes on top of crappy firmware please look at https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/5075.

Of course the Likebook Mimas I played with (fw 1.x) was pretty ok and KO worked as nice as it worked on other platforms, albeit slower than kobos, kindles, etc
Advert
Old 04-13-2020, 02:53 PM   #6
Incanus
Incanus

Question KOReader BEST Version Compatible with Android 6.0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Of course the Likebook Mimas I played with (fw 1.x) was pretty ok and KO worked as nice as it worked on other platforms, albeit slower than kobos, kindles, etc
First of all, pazos: thank you for your prompt reply and attention.

With that (and both your previous posts) being said, considering the Boyue Likebook Mars a clearly "special" version of Android 6.0.1, what is the most (hmm) stable version of KOReader that you would recommend for this device?

Of course, I can always download each and every version, install them and see what happens... but I'd rather have your (I daresay) educated opinion first.

I do realize that the baseline version of Android compatible with KOReader may well be below 6.0... but there you have it: I need your advice.

[INCANUS]
Old 04-13-2020, 03:03 PM   #7
pazos
cosiñeiro

Hi Incanus. On Likebook Mimas, Ares, Mars and Muses *with* firmware 1.x *any* recent version of KOReader should work. I would recommend stay with latest release version, which you can obtain from https://github.com/koreader/koreader/releases

On recent FW like yours I don't know. Nothing changed in (our) platform code that could explain why is not working. Hence I would suggest to attach logs here and lets us know.

If you installed the version from Likebook store first and updated to a recent version *without* issues during installation that would mean that the old version wasn't modified and is signed with the same key. If that was your case I would suggest to uninstall the program, remove the folder /sdcard/koreader and install the latest version directly from github (or any version hosted by f-droid) and see if that works. If that's not your case then please logs

KOReader works from 4.0 onwards, but 4.2 is recommended because older android versions are a pain to maintain.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:18 PM   #8
Incanus
Incanus

Unhappy

Quote:
If you installed the version from Likebook store first and updated to a recent version *without* issues during installation that would mean that the old version wasn't modified and is signed with the same key. If that was your case I would suggest to uninstall the program, remove the folder /sdcard/koreader and install the latest version directly from github (or any version hosted by f-droid) and see if that works. If that's not your case then please logs
I've haven't tried that approach, yet. So far:
  • I've installed (from scratch) the latest version available from GitHub: doesn't work.
  • I've installed (from scratch) the version available from Boyue App Store: works.
  • I've not installed the latest version available from GitHub on top of the version available from Boyue App Store.

Quote:
KOReader works from 4.0 onwards, but 4.2 is recommended because older android versions are a pain to maintain.
As the matters stands, I' think I'll try installing (either from scratch or on top of etc.) versions backwards or earlier than from v2020.02, that is to say, prior to the latest Boyue Likebook Mars firmware update. Oh, joy.

I'll report on my results, if and when I have them.

I remain gratefully yours,

[INCANUS]

Last edited by Incanus; 04-13-2020 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Separate help emoji from body of text
Old 04-13-2020, 04:02 PM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
I'm trying to replace the Boyue Reader native software with some Android alternative. CoolReader it's rather cumbersome and has poor dictionary integration; I don't like MoonReader+; hence KOReader.
Im using AlReader with Golden Dict.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:07 PM   #10
Incanus
Incanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Im using AlReader with Golden Dict.
I tried Golden Dict + CoolReader and I much more like the interface of KOReader and it's own StarDict dictionary use.

If I could work out the use of side load of fonts with multiple styles on Boyue Reader software, I probably would use just that and wouldn't bother to check KOReader, CoolReader or whatever else.

[INCANUS]

Last edited by Incanus; 04-13-2020 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Further clarification for thread purpose
Old 04-14-2020, 12:38 PM   #11
Incanus
Incanus

Exclamation How To Get KOReader Working on Boyue Likebook Mars

Quote:
So far:
  • I've installed (from scratch) the latest version available from GitHub: doesn't work.
  • I've installed (from scratch) the version available from Boyue App Store: works.
  • I've not installed the latest version available from GitHub on top of the version available from Boyue App Store.
The last item actually worked: I installed v2020.03.2 (from GitHub) on top of the already installed v2015.11 (from Boyue App Store); after a reboot, the overwrite/update is now working perfectly on my Boyue Likebook Mars (firmware v2.3.0).

As "recipes for installation" go, this wasn't so bad: I'd like it to be more straightforward, for sure, but for the moment I'm content with the results and I hope that this will help other people in similar straits.

EDIT: I posted a summary of my experience on the KOReader forum, for better future reference.

Very grateful for all your attention and help,

[INCANUS]

Last edited by Incanus; 04-14-2020 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Posting summary on KOReader forum
Old 04-14-2020, 12:55 PM   #12
pazos
cosiñeiro

Happy to hear that! It sounds *a bit* like black magic. That could explain why nobody raised an issue on github yet.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:12 PM   #13
Incanus
Incanus

Thumbs up Paying back my dues on mobileread fora

Quote:
It sounds *a bit* like black magic.
It does indeed, I daresay

Quote:
That could explain why nobody raised an issue on github yet.
But then again, the case is now documented here on these forums; to pay back the community, in however a small way, for all the help I've received through the years is (no forum pun intended) good karma.

Once again, pazos: thanks for your all your patience and help.

Much obliged & Kind regards,

[INCANUS]

Last edited by Incanus; 04-14-2020 at 01:19 PM. Reason: English "forums" spelling prefered over latin "fora"
Old 04-20-2020, 09:38 AM   #14
ilyats
Connoisseur
ilyats doesn't litterilyats doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook Muses T78D
I am usinf night builds of koreader on Likebook Muses and don't remember any problems with recent versions. Have you tried deleting koreader directory on the user storage volume? Maybe theold version has left there something that the new one doesn't like.
ilyats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:32 AM   #15
Incanus
Incanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyats View Post
Have you tried deleting koreader directory on the user storage volume? Maybe theold version has left there something that the new one doesn't like.
Indeed I tried that approach: uninstall, delete koreader dir, install from scratch using GitHub version: didn't work on Likebook Mars current/latest firmware.

Only thing that works (as of this firmware) is the above "recipe"

Kind regards,

[INCANUS]

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Tags
boyue likebook mars, koreader