Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-09-2018, 05:32 AM   #1
JosephWebber
Enthusiast
JosephWebber began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle PW, PW3, Nook HD+
Pulsating Android logo

Having received no reply to my post on Nook HD+ charging, let me try a different tack.
When I try to charge it (for up to six hours) I get a brief view of the bootloader followed by the pulsating rotating Android logo. Does this mean that it is charging? If not, what does it mean?
Should I be charging it for longer?
It's very frustrating as I believe that the device is basically functional. All I need is a bit of expertise.
Many thanks.
JosephWebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #2
Ozymango
Ozymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Nook HD+, HD (Cyanogenmod, LineageOS), Simple Touch (rooted), various
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephWebber View Post
When I try to charge it (for up to six hours) I get a brief view of the bootloader followed by the pulsating rotating Android logo. Does this mean that it is charging? If not, what does it mean?
It means your operating system isn't loading, for any number of reasons. You're running, I believe, Android 7.1 ('Nougat', LineageOS 14.x) on a rooted Nook and there could have been an update that failed (or succeeded, badly) from Google Play that corrupted something, it could be some software clash/bug that there's no way to know until you crash your system -- bottom line, if your Nook is stuck at the spinning Android screen it means you've got a good battery, your system is trying to boot so that's a good sign that your hardware is good.

You probably won't like the fix, but here it is: You'll need to build yourself a bootable microSD card, then use that card to 1)reset and clear the cache on the existing OS to see if it'll then boot so you can recover it, and/or 2) boot from the microSD card, reset/clear the OS, and reinstall the OS and gapps packages, basically start over from scratch.

A good guide for this is at https://nookhdplusandroid7.wordpress.com/

Bottom line: You MUST use an external microSD card to boot your device to the point where you can either attempt recovery, or reformat/reimage.
Ozymango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
JosephWebber
Enthusiast

Many thanks for your helpful reply. At least now I know what's going on and what I can do about it.
Funny thing it was working fine before I abandoned it.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks again.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:08 PM   #4
Ozymango
Ozymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephWebber View Post
Funny thing it was working fine before I abandoned it.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks again.
I feel your pain, I had my Nook HD+ working absolutely beautifully for months, I had books on it, music, Android 7.1 and not a hiccup -- until I took it on a road trip, it worked fine the first day and then all of a sudden it shut down and wouldn't reboot, got stuck on the spinning android logo like yours did. @#$@! And right when I had nothing else to read with! I didn't have any tools to fix it until I got home, but I learned my lesson, always carry a spare bootable microSD card when you take a road trip.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:55 AM   #5
JosephWebber
Enthusiast

It worked! Fortunately I still had the original bootable microSD card so that shortened the process. Also I appeared to have enough battery left to complete the operation.
I now need to put a file explorer, book reader, Greenify and Battery Calibrator on it and I'm good to go.
Many thanks for your help. I am most grateful.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:44 PM   #6
Ozymango

So glad to hear this! Good luck and hope it stays running for a good long while; and if it stops, you know how to fix it!