Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you receive a defective Kindle 2?
No, mine functions perfectly. 90 67.67%
Yes, I've had Amazon replace it. 17 12.78%
Yes, I've had Amazon replace more than one. 5 3.76%
Yes, but I'm keeping it as is. 0 0%
I don't own one but I'd still order one. 8 6.02%
I don't own one but now wouldn't want one. 13 9.77%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #31
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
11/75 defective Kindles so far, or about 15%.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #32
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
11/75 defective Kindles so far, or about 15%.
True 15%, but a very small sampling of all the Kindles in user hands.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #33
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
True 15%, but a very small sampling of all the Kindles in user hands.
I never knew there are so many defective kindles. These are some expensive units, its pretty horrible that so many of them are bad.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #34
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought my Kindle was Ok, but I guess I was wrong.

Today was the first decent day here in a while so I had it out in the sun and it turns out to have the fading screen problem. Also I thought I was having battery issues, but hadn't been paying close attention. Today at work I charged it from dead to full (unplugged at 3pm cst) and since I've been home I've read half of a short book (now 7:50 cst) and my battery is reading less than half full already (wireless is off). Plus for the last four books I've read it has locked up multiple times needing a reset.

I'm still trying to decide if I should just return it or try to get a replacement. I read now where CS is telling people with the screen problem to just return them for a refund.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:41 PM   #35
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, the sun fading problem is absolutely something they'll replace for free, and it's not normal. I'd suggest doing that and hopefully that will resolve your battery problem too.

While it's true that this is not a representative sample, there's no reason to think Kindle grognards are more likely to get the sun fading issue than other users. They just are informed enough to test it and notice it. But aside from other defect issues (creaky buttons, contrast issues) the sunlight fading problem seems to be common to 10 - 30% of all Kindle 2s.
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #36
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
No, the sun fading problem is absolutely something they'll replace for free, and it's not normal. I'd suggest doing that and hopefully that will resolve your battery problem too.
Well there have been some posts at Amazon where people are apparently being told to just return it for a refund and not being offered a replacement as of today. I don't know, I haven't tried and I'm not sure I'm going to.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:27 PM   #37
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Well there have been some posts at Amazon where people are apparently being told to just return it for a refund and not being offered a replacement as of today. I don't know, I haven't tried and I'm not sure I'm going to.
Yeah I was just reading those. Disturbing if true.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #38
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rontonio View Post
When I am reading in the direct sun, the screen fades rather rapidly, within 10 seconds. Afterwards, even after a refresh the printing is still dim and broken, like an inkjet printer that's low on ink. After the device is indoors for 5 minutes everything returns to normal. Amazon is sending a replacement, and they claim they haven't heard of the problem.
Well, that's a total lie on Amazon's part! I returned mine for the same reason and so have others who have reported same issue here and on Amazon.com.

The new unit works perfectly now although I wish the browser was a little quicker. Takes forever for a page to load.

Was cool though, yesterday i was in a major book store in Portland, OR and picked up a hardback book on the sale rack that look interesting. The "sale" price was marked down from $27 to $19.95. I whipped out my Kindle and typed in the name, Whoa! Available through Kindle store for $9.99! Bam! It's bought and on my Kindle.
When I met up with my hubby a little later, he asked "You're not buying anything?" I laughed and said, "I already did and it's in my purse on the Kindle."
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #39
jeremy81
Enthusiast
jeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire & Kindle 3
Well, it looks like my replacement Kindle wasn't so great. I have the sun fading issue big time. I hadn't taken it outside since I received it until today. The letters were nearly impossible to make out. Anyway, my replacement is on its way. This will be my 3rd K2 so hopefully the saying is true.
jeremy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #40
daphnetoo
daphnetoo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy81 View Post
Well, it looks like my replacement Kindle wasn't so great. I have the sun fading issue big time. I hadn't taken it outside since I received it until today. The letters were nearly impossible to make out. Anyway, my replacement is on its way. This will be my 3rd K2 so hopefully the saying is true.
Sadly, the saying has not been true for me. I just got my 3rd Kindle and it was perfect.......that is until I took it outside in the sun to read and the letters started fading. Kindle #4 is on the way. It is getting old.......
daphnetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #41
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
I feel fortunate. Two K2s here, both seem to be just fine. The second just arrived yesterday, to be sent to my best friend in Australia (she's American, but married an Aussie and you wouldn't believe the prices of books where she lives!). Had it sent to me instead of her family so I could do full testing on it before sending it on to her. Charged? Check. Holding charge with Whispernet on? Check. Indexes books without problem? Check. Sunlight fading? None after 15 minutes in direct sun. I think she's good to go!
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:39 AM   #42
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
hmm mine's been working perfectly.
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #43
MoboHobo
Banned
MoboHobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Perhaps K2 was launched too soon. More testing should have been done.
MoboHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:17 PM   #44
appel846
appel846 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I've noticed that mine will not save my place when shut completely off. I can book mark and go to "home" screen before shutting off and it works fine, once I click my book title. When i called support, they said that my Kindle was working fine. A coworker with a Kindle 2 can shut her power off on the page she is reading and when powering up, it goes to that page. Curious, but I wonder if they re-manufactured Kindle 1 hardware in to Kindle 2 machines....oh, yes I think mine is defective...Amazon doesn't know why though.
appel846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #45
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by appel846 View Post
I've noticed that mine will not save my place when shut completely off. I can book mark and go to "home" screen before shutting off and it works fine, once I click my book title. When i called support, they said that my Kindle was working fine. A coworker with a Kindle 2 can shut her power off on the page she is reading and when powering up, it goes to that page. Curious, but I wonder if they re-manufactured Kindle 1 hardware in to Kindle 2 machines....oh, yes I think mine is defective...Amazon doesn't know why though.
Odd. I would call back and talk to another person. The customer service and knowledgeable people seem to vary from call to call.

You Kindle book should open to the page you left off whether you turn it off or just go to screensaver. You shouldn't have to physically bookmark it.

Call back.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote