Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-25-2024, 02:52 AM   #1
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Restoring a backup?

Yesterday I made the mistake of connecting my Sage to Calibre after awakening it from sleep, as opposed to from powered off. The inevitable DB corruption "error communcating with device" was the result. I have a backup generated by Kobo Utilities, do I just extract the zip into the .kobo folder?

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 02-25-2024 at 02:59 AM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 07:12 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Yesterday I made the mistake of connecting my Sage to Calibre after awakening it from sleep, as opposed to from powered off. The inevitable DB corruption "error communcating with device" was the result. I have a backup generated by Kobo Utilities, do I just extract the zip into the .kobo folder?
Yes except for the .adobe-digital-editions directory. Then reboot after the eject.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2024, 01:22 PM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
THe previous reply did not answer my question, so I'll ask again

do I just extract the zip into the .kobo folder?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 02:07 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
THe previous reply did not answer my question, so I'll ask again

do I just extract the zip into the .kobo folder?
I gave the correct answer. You can extract everything to the .kobo directory except the .adobe-digital-editions directory.

Look in inside the ZIP file. There is a directory that you do not extract to the .kobo directory.

You only really need to extract KoboReader.sqlite (as that is the database) unless you have a need for any of the other files.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-25-2024 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 03:57 PM   #5
_kind_le
Enthusiast
_kind_le began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 11th gen.
Just curious is there any special or device specific steps you need to do in order to connect your device to Calibre and not break it?
_kind_le is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2024, 05:14 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by _kind_le View Post
Just curious is there any special or device specific steps you need to do in order to connect your device to Calibre and not break it?
Just that Calibre is not running to avoid the possibility of 2 apps accessing, and that should not reall be an issue as long as calibre is not sending anything.. but just to be safe .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 05:35 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Personally, I added a reboot option to NickelMenu and use that on my Sage to ensure the databases are properly closed before I connect to my computer.

Since I removed storing my entire library on my Clara HD (was an experiment after I upgraded it's internal storage to 128GB) and now have only ~800 books on it, it hasn't shown a database corruption.

As far as I can tell, if I telnet to my Sage and I see the <database-name>.sqlite-wal and <database-name>.sqlite-shm (write ahead log and shared memory) files, the database has not been closed and I will get the error. The reboot forces the database close so no issues.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 05:57 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Personally, I added a reboot option to NickelMenu and use that on my Sage to ensure the databases are properly closed before I connect to my computer.

Since I removed storing my entire library on my Clara HD (was an experiment after I upgraded it's internal storage to 128GB) and now have only ~800 books on it, it hasn't shown a database corruption.

As far as I can tell, if I telnet to my Sage and I see the <database-name>.sqlite-wal and <database-name>.sqlite-shm (write ahead log and shared memory) files, the database has not been closed and I will get the error. The reboot forces the database close so no issues.
Do you know if there's a way to use NickelMenu to check for these files and if they exist, reboot the Kobo?
Old 02-28-2024, 07:03 PM   #9
_kind_le
Enthusiast

Quote:
Sorry didn't get when this reboot should happen, what is the trigger? Once you connect e-reader to USB?

Quote:
...if I telnet to my Sage and I see the <database-name>.sqlite-wal and <database-name>.sqlite-shm (write ahead log and shared memory) files, the database has not been closed and I will get the error. The reboot forces the database close so no issues.
wow, that's entire new world if you can telnet to your device. What you can do over it? is it a regular bash/*nix shell?
Old 02-28-2024, 07:05 PM   #10
_kind_le
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Just that Calibre is not running to avoid the possibility of 2 apps accessing, and that should not reall be an issue as long as calibre is not sending anything.. but just to be safe .
And two apps you're referring to are e-book itself and Calibre?
Old 02-28-2024, 08:07 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry didn't get when this reboot should happen, what is the trigger? Once you connect e-reader to USB?
I do the reboot prior to the USB connect. Once I've clicked on reboot, I wait a second and then plug the USB cable in. Once the reboot is finished, the USB connect/cancel popup shows up. Unless I've enable the Auto-USB gadget in which case, it just connects.

Quote:
wow, that's entire new world if you can telnet to your device. What you can do over it? is it a regular bash/*nix shell?
It's another NickelMenu item that turns on the telnet server. Once it's on, I just use Putty on my computer to connect. The NickelMenu item is shown below.

Code:
menu_item : main    : Telnet             : cmd_spawn      : quiet: /bin/mount -t devpts | /bin/grep -q /dev/pts || { /bin/mkdir -p /dev/pts && /bin/mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts; }
     chain_success  : cmd_spawn          : quiet: /usr/bin/pkill -f "^/usr/bin/tcpsvd -E 0.0.0.0 1023" || true && exec /usr/bin/tcpsvd -E 0.0.0.0 1023 /usr/sbin/telnetd -i -l /bin/login
     chain_success  : dbg_toast          : Started Telnet server on port 1023.
The connection has really high security NOT, user is root and password is blank.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:11 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
And two apps you're referring to are e-book itself and Calibre?
No, once a Kobo is in USBMS mode, the USB connection has sole access to the storage. Just don't try running calibre and other apps that will access your Kobo on your computer at the same time. I.e. while calibre is connected to the ereader, don't try using another utility to work on the database at the same time. The results can be interesting for certain unpleasant values of interesting.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:22 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you know if there's a way to use NickelMenu to check for these files and if they exist, reboot the Kobo?
Once again, Jon, there are ways to test for those files existence and reboot the Kobo but, for me, it's just as easy to simply reboot.

A script (quick and dirty would be using if [ -f /mnt/onboard/.kobo/<sqlite-wal filename> ] to check for the existence of a write ahead logging file ( either BookReader.sqlite-wal or KoboReader.sqlite-wal ) and triggering the reboot if either one exists) could be written and run from NickelMenu) but creating that file will be left as an exercise for the student.

Alternately, you could run entire command from NickelMenu. See the Toggle Screensave command for an example using test to detect a file's existence.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-28-2024 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:46 PM   #14
_kind_le
Enthusiast

Quote:
It's another NickelMenu item that turns on the telnet server. Once it's on, I just use Putty on my computer to connect...
The connection has really high security NOT, user is root and password is blank.
Pretty impressive (not about a password though)

So it gives you ability to access reader's fs?
I think for Kindle you need to do a jailbreak for that.

Quote:
No, once a Kobo is in USBMS mode, the USB connection has sole access to the storage. Just don't try running calibre and other apps that will access your Kobo on your computer at the same time. I.e. while calibre is connected to the ereader, don't try using another utility to work on the database at the same time. The results can be interesting for certain unpleasant values of interesting.
Got it, thanks! Yes, sqlite is ok for async reading, writing without acquiring a lock might be fatal.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:35 PM   #15
_kind_le
Enthusiast

p.s. From what I see how Calibre is doing books work on my Kindle device - I have a feeling that it just copying stuff over to internal memory, after device is removed from system - its OS will do a recursive scan for new files on mounted storage and updates whatever mysql, sqlite, redis, etc. so since Calibre isn't touch db directly - technically you'll never have the situation described here. But I might be wrong of course.