Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-17-2020, 11:34 AM   #16
ArjenVegt
ArjenVegt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeit View Post
When the kindle is connected, right-click on the cover image of the book in the Calibre library and select 'Save cover to disk'. You will then have to navigate to the system/thumbnails directory on the kindle itself - this is a hidden directory so it may not be immediately visible - and overwrite the amazon 'no image found' icon. The files in the thumbnails directory are not named in any sensible way so you'll have to work out which one is the correct file - I have been doing this one book at a time, so the most recent thumbnail is the one.
It worked! Thanks
ArjenVegt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:37 PM   #17
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I am curious to see whether this turns out to be a one-off thing when a new book is loaded or whether something can trigger the thumbnails to be replaced again later on.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2020, 01:50 PM   #18
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
A link to where else this is discussed, complained about would be helpful also

I very quickly looked for it in Amazon forums, did not find anything....
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #19
Androzes
Androzes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 (2015)
Is there any possibility that Calibre prevent thumbnails from being altered like leaving thumbnails in a "read-only" state to prevent thumbnails from being altered by amazon? Lets say only Calibre have the permition change the thumbnails.

Thank You Kovid for the Calibre, best regards from Brazil.

I find this workaround on the kindle subreddit and worked for me:

" 1.Turn Airplane Mode On
2.Connect Kindle to PC. Send Book to Device through Calibre.
3.Disconnect Kindle from PC.
4.Connect Kindle to PC, navigate to Kindle/system/thumbnails
5.You will see file name "thumbnail_xxx_xxx_xx.jpg.partial" and exact same file name without ".partial" (this is your cover of your newly uploaded book)
6.Copy the book cover (s) to your PC somewhere.
7.Disconnect Kindle from PC
8.Enable WiFi on Kindle. After a few moments all your new book covers will blank out on the Kindle.
9.Connect Kindle to PC. Navigate to Kindle/system/thumbnails and then copy all of the covers from your PC to Kindle overwriting blanks
10.Disconnect from PC and enjoy your book covers again."

Ps.: Sorry in about my english
Androzes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:49 AM   #20
pokeit
pokeit began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
A link to where else this is discussed, complained about would be helpful also

I very quickly looked for it in Amazon forums, did not find anything....
my amazon uk forum query
pokeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2020, 11:54 AM   #21
Joey77
Joey77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Can someone please help me find the system/thumbnail folder. I'm on a mac and when I connect my kindle all I can see is the documents and fonts folders. Anything specific to get the system folder to show up?
Joey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:22 PM   #22
Androzes

Try to specify the address manually. When in the Kindle folder type "kindle\system" on the address bar, this should work.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #23
Joey77
Joey77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I got it to work. Open terminal and type:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean true ; killall Finder

this will now show hidden folders. Got all the cover art to work now. Pain you gotta do each one manually following the steps that Androzes stated. Thanks for this!
Joey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:51 PM   #24
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Right so to work around this you would need to generate MOBI files of the joint type (i.e. containing KF8 and old MOBI) and send those to your kindle as PDOCs
Yes. That works as long as the joint MOBi/KF8 file does not have a CDETYPE/ASIN specified, as you get from calibre if the "Enable sharing of book content..." conversion option is used. A Master MOBI produced using kindlegen or Kindle Previewer will also work.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:35 PM   #25
hengyu
Enthusiast
hengyu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androzes View Post
Is there any possibility that Calibre prevent thumbnails from being altered like leaving thumbnails in a "read-only" state to prevent thumbnails from being altered by amazon? Lets say only Calibre have the permition change the thumbnails.

Thank You Kovid for the Calibre, best regards from Brazil.

I find this workaround on the kindle subreddit and worked for me:

" 1.Turn Airplane Mode On
2.Connect Kindle to PC. Send Book to Device through Calibre.
3.Disconnect Kindle from PC.
4.Connect Kindle to PC, navigate to Kindle/system/thumbnails
5.You will see file name "thumbnail_xxx_xxx_xx.jpg.partial" and exact same file name without ".partial" (this is your cover of your newly uploaded book)
6.Copy the book cover (s) to your PC somewhere.
7.Disconnect Kindle from PC
8.Enable WiFi on Kindle. After a few moments all your new book covers will blank out on the Kindle.
9.Connect Kindle to PC. Navigate to Kindle/system/thumbnails and then copy all of the covers from your PC to Kindle overwriting blanks
10.Disconnect from PC and enjoy your book covers again."

Ps.: Sorry in about my english
Can confirm that this works, but many steps are unnecessary.

Just do the following:

1. Sideload your book, you don't need airplane mode.
2. Cover will get replaced with a blank.
3. Replace the blanked cover with your Calibre cover in /system/thumbnails (sort by most recent, to make it easier). Copy paste the image you want and rename it accordingly.

Your Calibre cover should already be in your Calibre library to begin with, so there's no need to copy it to elsewhere. Click on the book's "Path: Click to open" to get to the book's folder and the cover should already be there.
hengyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:28 PM   #26
zaqxsw
Connoisseur
zaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 - Gen 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I am curious to see whether this turns out to be a one-off thing when a new book is loaded or whether something can trigger the thumbnails to be replaced again later on.
As was mentioned, putting the Kindle in Airplane mode allows the cover to stay after side loading. If you reconnect to Wi-Fi hours later, the cover will disappear.

I've only had this happen on one specific book so far. All the rest of my saved books on my Kindle Paperwhite have kept their covers.
zaqxsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:28 PM   #27
Androzes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey77 View Post
I got it to work. Open terminal and type:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean true ; killall Finder

this will now show hidden folders. Got all the cover art to work now. Pain you gotta do each one manually following the steps that Androzes stated. Thanks for this!

You can do this only one time, e.g: conect your device, pass "N" books to your kindle just copy the thumbnails for these "N" books to another folder, wait amazon mess your covers, plug the kindle again and paste the original book covers. And i can confirm there is no need to be in airplane mode since when the kindle is connected in the pc there no wifi signal.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:45 PM   #28
zaqxsw
Connoisseur
zaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 - Gen 11
Amazon USA General Kindle forum:

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/global...r%20thumbnails
zaqxsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:08 PM   #29
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur
MrSlow&Steady began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hengyu View Post
Can confirm that this works, but many steps are unnecessary.

Just do the following:

1. Sideload your book, you don't need airplane mode.
2. Cover will get replaced with a blank.
3. Replace the blanked cover with your Calibre cover in /system/thumbnails (sort by most recent, to make it easier). Copy paste the image you want and rename it accordingly.

Your Calibre cover should already be in your Calibre library to begin with, so there's no need to copy it to elsewhere. Click on the book's "Path: Click to open" to get to the book's folder and the cover should already be there.
How long did that process take you?
MrSlow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:11 PM   #30
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur
MrSlow&Steady began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Or keep your kindle in airplane mode. That should prevent amazons latest attempt to discourage you from side loading.
How likely is this glitch Amazon's intentional doing? This is intriguing to me...
MrSlow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote