Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-28-2019, 02:24 PM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Apple announces a new iPod Touch

https://techcrunch.com/2019/05/28/ap...paign=campaign

Techcrunch provides the details. It is mostly a CPU upgrade to the A10 Fusion chip making it the equivalent of an iPhone 7. It is the size of an iPhone 5.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 05-28-2019 at 03:08 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:43 PM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I was very excited. I don't have/use a Smartphone and my current Itouch is having a problem with app upgrades because I can't upgrade the system any longer. I'll save up for the midrange one. Yay! In addition, I was happy to see that while it does have Bluetooth function, it isn't totally dependent on it.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2019, 03:17 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Somewhat disappointing it's still iPhone 5/5s size. I've encountered some apps where the touch points are off on 4" devices. I think some developers just aren't bothering testing with that size nowadays.

Also no TouchID. After 6 years, you'd think that technology would've trickled down by now.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:22 PM   #4
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
It's kind of interesting that they're still making these. Several years ago I looked for the equivalent gizmo in the android space and they are rare. Samsung made one but it was pricey.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:32 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
It's kind of interesting that they're still making these. Several years ago I looked for the equivalent gizmo in the android space and they are rare. Samsung made one but it was pricey.
I don't really see the point of an Android version of the iPod touch when plenty of fairly decent Android smartphones can be had for $100-200 full MSRP (even under $50 for prepaid kits). I'm particularly fond of the Moto E and G series.
Advert
Old 05-28-2019, 04:41 PM   #6
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I don't really see the point of an Android version of the iPod touch when plenty of fairly decent Android smartphones can be had for $100-200 full MSRP (even under $50 for prepaid kits). I'm particularly fond of the Moto E and G series.
Yeah they're priced nicely now. Back when I checked for an android mp3 player the prices weren't so great. I think the Samsung one that I found was over $200.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:50 PM   #7
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
It seems like it would be better to buy a used iPhone 7 or 7+ than the new Touch. Bigger screen, and you could use it for a smartphone if you decided too. I recently sold mine for $235 with good battery and 128GB, and that was about the going rate on eBay. A Touch with 128GB will cost more.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:03 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Yeah they're priced nicely now. Back when I checked for an android mp3 player the prices weren't so great. I think the Samsung one that I found was over $200.
Must've been ages ago (tech-wise). The 1st generation Moto G phone was released in 2013, iirc.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:10 PM   #9
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Somewhat disappointing it's still iPhone 5/5s size. I've encountered some apps where the touch points are off on 4" devices. I think some developers just aren't bothering testing with that size nowadays.

Also no TouchID. After 6 years, you'd think that technology would've trickled down by now.
If you want a iphone feature buy an Iphone. I love the size, and thank APPLE they didn't put TouchID on it. I don't want those nightmares nor the cost associated with it.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:07 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
If you want a iphone feature buy an Iphone. I love the size, and thank APPLE they didn't put TouchID on it. I don't want those nightmares nor the cost associated with it.
When a $100 Moto E has fingerprint authentication, TouchID should've been incorporated into the iPod touch refresh without additional cost.

Honestly, it's not so much the size per se but rather the fact that some developers ignore that 4" iOS devices still exist. My mom has a 4" iPhone SE (still performs great, only cost $150 for 32GB brand new a couple years ago) and on a couple of her apps, she came to me saying the (virtual) "buttons" don't work. I eventually discovered the touch points are several pixels away from the button/icon graphics. It's like 4" devices are treated like the bastard stepchild by devs now.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:16 PM   #11
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Honestly, it's not so much the size per se but rather the fact that some developers ignore that 4" iOS devices still exist. My mom has a 4" iPhone SE (still performs great, only cost $150 for 32GB brand new a couple years ago) and on a couple of her apps, she came to me saying the (virtual) "buttons" don't work. I eventually discovered the touch points are several pixels away from the button/icon graphics. It's like 4" devices are treated like the bastard stepchild by devs now.
Apple is notorious for breaking drivers and apps with system updates. So it could be some system update on the phone that broke the app rather than they wrote it poorly. Probably not many developers test their stuff on all devices whenever there's a system update.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:19 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
What nightmares are you referring to, Tarana? I still use a 5-year-old iPhone 6 and Touch ID works beautifully on it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:44 AM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Apple is notorious for breaking drivers and apps with system updates. So it could be some system update on the phone that broke the app rather than they wrote it poorly. Probably not many developers test their stuff on all devices whenever there's a system update.
I doubt it's drivers in this case.

That's kinda the point. It's not even about system updates breaking compatibility. With the lower market share, it's just not worth the devs' time anymore to optimize/fix things for 4" devices when there are plenty of other bugs that need fixing affecting a larger number of devices.

Alas, situation's not much better on the high end. It's been 4 years since the 12.9's release and there are still plenty of apps that just use a blown up version of the 9.7 interface. Non-mainstream sizes/resolutions get the short end of the stick.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:47 AM   #14
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Wish they'd made it support the Apple Pencil --- then I'd finally have a replacement for my Newton MessagePad.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:09 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
This is the first iPod to have more than 160GB as an option.

But I agree that a second-hand 256GB iPhone 7 might be a better buy.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote