Notices

Old 11-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #1
BrooksNYC
Enthusiast
BrooksNYC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 7th generation
Kindle Paperwhite - Changing the default dictionary

Hello!

I've just sideloaded Collins English Dictionary via USB, and plunked the dictionary in the documents folder of my new Kindle Paperwhite.

I'd like to make Collins my default dictionary, but can't figure out how to go about it. When I go to my Kindle home screen and choose......

Settings > Device Options > Language and Dictionaries > Dictionaries

......only one dictionary shows up — the original default New Oxford American Dictionary.

And when I highlight a word in a text, it's definitions from the New Oxford American that pop up.

From within the New Oxford pop-up window, I do have the option of swiping to a new pane that lets me choose the Collins. What I'd prefer, however, is for the Collins to open first and by default. Is that doable?

Am willing to "86" the New Oxford American Dictionary, if necessary.

Kind thanks for the help.

Last edited by BrooksNYC; 11-03-2015 at 03:04 PM.
BrooksNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Download Mobi metadata editor, and check if that dictionary file has both input and output language set. If not fix it, and copy fixed mobi file to your Kindle.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1927698

Also check if dictionary file is DRM free...
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
BrooksNYC
Enthusiast
BrooksNYC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 7th generation
Thanks for your help, shaman. Problem solved!

I moved the new dictionary from the Kindle's main "documents" folder into the "dictionaries" subfolder.

Then I went back to.....

Settings > Device Options > Language and Dictionaries > Dictionaries

The New Oxford American Dictionary still showed by default. But when I tapped on it, a new window opened up, displaying both dictionaries — the old and the new — along with the option to choose a new default.

Collins is now my default, and all is well!

Again, thanks for your input.
BrooksNYC is offline   Reply With Quote