Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #61
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
It wouldn't surprise me to see a docking station, complete with user interface (monitor, keyboard, mouse), extra storage, more ports, etc. etc. And sooner rather than later. MS is touting this thing as being a PC as well as a tablet. Just having a keyboard cover doesn't make it a PC.

Much like the docking stations available for many laptops today.
The edge connector in the photos has a *lot* of connection points.
It would be shocking is there weren't a docking station for it; maybe even a slot-loading one.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #62
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
The keyboard cover does look cool. I look at it and think, "why didn't Apple do that for the ipad?" I don't have an ipad so I don't know what 3rd party keyboards there are for it. Any as cool/light/integrated as the Surface one is or appears to be?
The 'Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover' seems to be highly rated, though pretty much any bluetooth keyboard will work AFAIK.

Not sure I like the way the colour of Microsoft's keyboard cover continues over the keys - anyone buying the pink one and doing a lot of typing is going to feel a bit queasy after a while
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #63
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
The 'Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover' seems to be highly rated, though pretty much any bluetooth keyboard will work AFAIK.

Not sure I like the way the colour of Microsoft's keyboard cover continues over the keys - anyone buying the pink one and doing a lot of typing is going to feel a bit queasy after a while
Who looks at the keyboard when they're typing? Isn't everyone a 'touch' typist nowadays?
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #64
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
I love the concept. Execution will be the key.

And I won't consider it until they come up with a 4:3 version (as opposed to the widescreeen version just shown).
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #65
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Agree... the Surface is a business device;

Why the consumer colors then?

ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #66
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
Why the consumer colors then?

Why the high price tag then?

I don't have one friend willing to spend that kind of money on a tablet that isn't an iPad.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #67
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I would consider this only for work stuff. But I don't consider colors incompatible with work (quit wearing suits and little scarf ties 30 years ago)
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #68
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me to see a docking station, complete with user interface (monitor, keyboard, mouse), extra storage, more ports, etc. etc. And sooner rather than later. MS is touting this thing as being a PC as well as a tablet. Just having a keyboard cover doesn't make it a PC.

Much like the docking stations available for many laptops today.
It really pains me to say this, but MS is actually going in a direction that tablets should go, but haven't- being full desktop replacements. The only one I'm aware of that comes anywhere close is the EEE Transformer by Asus, and even that has its limits because Android doesn't have a printing stack and thus has to rely on Google's cloud printing.

Now if only someone could light a fire under Red Flag's butt and get a viable Linux-based alternative going...
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #69
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Now if only someone could light a fire under Red Flag's butt and get a viable Linux-based alternative going...
I haven't looked into it, but I think Ubuntu ROMs have been running on a few ARM phones/tabs.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #70
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
Who looks at the keyboard when they're typing? Isn't everyone a 'touch' typist nowadays?
No, not by a long way. And even if they were, you don't think they'd find this throbbing pinkness a tad distracting?

petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #71
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
A better keyboard color

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #72
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-574...rface-preview/

"Microsoft disregarded one key part of Apple's show-and-tell script -- make the hardware available to the press on that day or before, and for customers soon thereafter."
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #73
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I'm holding my breath until I get a Pro! Please for Christmas!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #74
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Agree... the Surface is a business device; whereas the Fire is a consumer device.
There are two models a Windows RT and a Windows 8 Pro. The former is the consumer model,uses ARM) a that competes with iPad/Android the latter is more of a full fledged laptop with beefed up HW and is bigger, thicker, and runs Intel.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #75
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
I haven't looked into it, but I think Ubuntu ROMs have been running on a few ARM phones/tabs.
You sure that was an Ubuntu ROM, or someone just rooting it and choosing something to the effect of "load other OS"? Cause if there was an Ubuntu ROM for ARM, I'm sure it would've been all over the message board.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote